Hydroponics on the fish tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #1
bulrush
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hydroponics on the fish tank

So I decided to look into using the plant fertilizer that fishes make in the fish tanks by floating some pink styrofoam on my fish tank. I seeded some lettuce seeds in some holes, held there by cotton balls, last week. They are now sprouting.

My fish room is a (relatively) constant temp, about 68-72F. The seeds have sprouted and already are looking leggy due to the high temps. I think this could work but I'm sure the lettuce will fall over. It's a leaf lettuce variety.

Anyway it took only 3 days to see roots coming out of the seeds after I planted them. I thought that was very quick. But this would be a good idea to have fresh lettuce in the winter. Since I already have lights on the tank for underwater plants, and the fish and filter make nitrates, I thought this would work well.

(Good lord my spelling was awful. Fixed some spelling errors.)

This is a non-profit community service.

Last edited by bulrush; 05-23-2007 at 06:30 PM..
bulrush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

sounds like me, I crossed all hydro know how to planted tanks. You could use all sorts of plants for this project, as long as it doesn't hamper your tank inhabitants. Way cool. hydro is the future once people learn how we humans
are just a virus on this planet and have consumed every living thing.There will be nothing left but INDO.
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Boz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Hey bul, do you have a photo of how you did this with the cups?
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor

PTrader: (86/100%)

a slab of styrofoam small holes for net cups, rockwool. Thats it
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
tpl*co
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

We saw the same thing in the Disneyworld greenhouses when we went there in February (I think it was Epcot). They used a styrofoam floatation device on an aquarium to put plants on .

Tina
tpl*co is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
JimmyYahoo
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)

Tilapinatoes @ the Yahoo ranch this year. Then maybe some INDO when the food runs out.
JimmyYahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
Jubs
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

That's funny I am setting up a hydro setup tonight I have been researching it for a week or two. Using the fish tank is actually called Aquaponics very cool concept!

I don't think I have a heavy enough fish load or the tank in the right area to set up mine like that yet as I am not going to rob my actual planted tank of ferts. I have a spawning tank for some peacock gudgeons and it has a bunch of plants floating ( java moss, najas, salvinia, etc. ) so I think with as low of a fish load I have in there those plants are sucking all the good stuff out of the water as it is.

I am going to be trying some Lettuce, Spinach, Green Onions, Cilantro, and Basil for now and see how it goes. I am using home made Ebb and Flow setups using 2L bottles and air pressure from an air pump to push the solution to the roots. I will post pics of the setup once I have everything situated. I have to redo my emersed setup as well tonight so I have a bit of work to get things going.

Anyone tried making their own hydro solution using the Greg Watson ferts ? I have come across a couple threads with recipes but I am missing Calcium Nitrate so I need to see how much my local hydro store sells it in dry form.
Eheim Pimp #232 Nikon Pimp #69
Jubs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
bulrush
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just drill 1 inch holes in the styro. Pack with a cotton ball. Place a few seeds in each cotton ball.

I had platys in there and I think they were pecking at the cotton, because I'm finding little cotton pieces collecting in the tank. But I also saw shrimp clinging to the cotton. Fish are now out of that tank so I'll see what happens.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:11 AM   #9
Gerald the Mouse
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have some extra basil seeds laying around, so I'm going to try this.
Gerald the Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
bulrush
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have cancelled this project. The seedlings got way too leggy and I pulled the styrofoam out. Doing this indoors does not seem to work real well since the temperatures don't get cold.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 AM   #11
ruki
Algae Grower

Your idea is quite good. It's just that basil needs full sun.

You can do this with other plants. Any of the plants listed as bog plants in aquarium guides would work fine, as long as they match your light level. Pothos would be one of the easiest to start with.

Also, you can use one of those plastic breeding boxes that clip to the top of the tank and fill it with the fired clay hydroponic balls available at your local hydro shop. It won't float around the tank or tip over. (I'm really good at tipping things over )
ruki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 01:27 AM   #12
Gerald the Mouse
Planted Member

(Sorry to thread-jack) The basil I planted a few days ago, on floating a peice of styrofoam that has some holes with cotton balls in it, its growing Pretty good. I already have 6 little plantlets under 15watt lighting.
Gerald the Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
bulrush
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually I was using leaf lettuce, and the seedlings immediately got real leggy, tall and skinny.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #14
vidiots
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to vidiots Send a message via Yahoo to vidiots

I have been growing chives in a pot on top of my 180gal tank under the hanging light fixture for the past 6 months or more. Watered with fish water. It's great to always have them handy for my baked potato...
vidiots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.