Co2 setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
jobobcowman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Co2 setup

Got my 40gal up and need to put co2 in it..what is a "proper" setup? I have seen some pretty awesome automated set ups here but no real info on what is needed/optional. Thx
jobobcowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

A very confusing subject as there are many ways to go. For sure, the cheapest way is DIY. But then you have to work lots more and maybe the CO2 is not as stable as you like. One can go to the far end and get super expensive setups which nearly run themselves. But you will pay a very high price!
Appearances and how much attention you want for the results really leaves it open on what you buy.
Suggest reading through some of the primers on CO2 and try to get an idea of what you are feeling like spending. Budgets are a controlling item for many. Even if we've got the money we may not fell like spending it!
Sorry for the non-answer but it really is a deep subject that takes lots of decisions for each. Lots of info but how to apply it?
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
larams67
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

There is a ton of info but you have to be creative with your searches.

A quick list of the minimum items you need IMO are.

1. co2 cylinder
2. regulator with a cga 320 fitting
3. needle valve
4. various 1/4" and 1/8" npt fittings to tie it all together.
5. some tubing to transport your co2.
6. Some kind of diffuser. Maybe a Rex or a Cerges..

I think the above is the basics. If you want automation then your looking at adding a solenoid. Then you can get into ph controllers if you want or just simple timers.
larams67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Darkblade has an excellent stickied thread in the equipment forum.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Aqguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I went the extra mile and bought a complete setup from GLA ,worked flawless from day 1 and I'm a nubby.
The extra buck was worth the quality.
Aqguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Darkblade has an excellent stickied thread in the equipment forum.
It is also linked in my signature in any of my posts

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

++ on the GLA if you can afford it, I haven't seen anything better in my searches for 'everything you need & will work forever'. That being said...the cost is pretty epic. You're up to near $1k territory to get a reliable, stable, and nearly maintenance-free CO2 system - out of the box.

If you're willing to DIY but still want quality, I think it can be had in the $500-700 range, maybe even less with lucky finds on the classifieds.

Darkblade's thread is awesome - read it!!!
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
bsantucci
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
++ on the GLA if you can afford it, I haven't seen anything better in my searches for 'everything you need & will work forever'. That being said...the cost is pretty epic. You're up to near $1k territory to get a reliable, stable, and nearly maintenance-free CO2 system - out of the box.

If you're willing to DIY but still want quality, I think it can be had in the $500-700 range, maybe even less with lucky finds on the classifieds.

Darkblade's thread is awesome - read it!!!
I don't agree with your cost here. I got a fully working co2 system from GLA for about $500 shipped and its the optimum regulator system. If you can afford that I recommend GLA completely. The high price is also coming with Orlando's ridiculously awesome customer service. I bought my system 2 months ago and am still having daily emails with him just talking tanks and getting more and more knowledge. He even emails me out of the blue checking up on my tank. I've never seen customer service like that so GLA is my go to for anything planted related now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
bsantucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Your price is way off. I've yet to see a co2 system for $1000.

Just checked GLA. Highest is $670 for the bundle.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
jobobcowman
Algae Grower

What's gla?
jobobcowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Aqguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobobcowman View Post
What's gla?
www.greenleafaquariums.com

I bought the choice 2 system with ph controller for $405 plus a 75 mm diffuser $45 total coast just under $500.

And as said before coustomer service like you have never seen before!
Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry, the system I was talking about involves a pH controller, 20lb tank, dual-stage regulator & all bits/pieces, reactor system (i.e. Cerges), tubing/check valves/etc, drop checker, dual manifold, etc. Not including the reactor system, the closest thing to that GLA offers is $870. Tack on shipping, bits and pieces, reactor, and you're pretty close to $1k.

i.e. A fully self-regulating, fail-safe, long-lasting, and high capacity/performance CO2 system.
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #13
bsantucci
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

I think that's a bad example to use for this case. My system is just as self regulating and fail safe and cost much less from GLA. They also don't need dual manifold or a 20 gallon tank I'm sure being new to this. Just giving them the wrong idea for what they need to get started.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
bsantucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's the advice I've seen from the likes of Tom Barr and others on this forum, though. Do it right, once. The system you spec'd has a single stage regulator - my understanding of regulators is that two-stage eliminates the possibility of 'end of tank dump'. Without the regulator doing so, you're reliant on the needle valve to stop that. (correct me if I'm wrong)

So as long as your needle valve is ok...

And good point about the manifold, I've since read that you don't need multiple outputs for a single large aquarium, just a better reactor/diffuser system.

I'll disagree about the tank size...from my research (and common sense), you want to get the biggest tank that'll fit, since CO2 refills don't necessarily cost more by volume, and because you don't want to be refilling it every other month (hassles). A 20lb tank, if it'd fit, would easily last a year, even on a large aquarium.

Um...anywho...sorry for the thread hijack. :S
Old 11-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
Do it right, once. The system you spec'd has a single stage regulator - my understanding of regulators is that two-stage eliminates the possibility of 'end of tank dump'. Without the regulator doing so, you're reliant on the needle valve to stop that. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Needle valves wont stop an "EOTD"...something that is far exaggerated from the start...

I agree that your prices are almost double for what is needed for a great system and includes unnecessary options. May i ask what you run for a CO2 rig?