My Four Tanks, any thoughts??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-01-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

My Four Tanks, any thoughts??

Here are my four "planted" tanks. What are your thoughts, and which do you think is the best looking scape?

10 gallon CRS and Cherry shrimp planted tank.

30 gallon hexagon lightly planted tank

46 gallon bowfront heavily planted community tank

75 gallon manzanita moss tank with juvie festivum cichlids

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Matsnork
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tanks look good but...

Im only a simple noob at scaping but imho no1 and 3 are the ones that really qualifies as "scapes". The other ones are to symmetrical and look like you are trying to take up a maximum of space with the decorations you have by spreading them out.

Maybe the last one will look better when it fills in but I would move the moss rocks and plants around to make a more random look.

Do you really need the big heaters? Do you live in a cold climate or have fish that need high temp?

edit: The moss balls in no1 are not very sexy at all Maybe do something with them? Cut them upp and make a carpet or attach to rocks/wood?

Oh and forgot to say that the bowfront looks really nice.

Last edited by Matsnork; 11-01-2013 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: edit
Matsnork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
AHGoodwin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

The tanks look good. I especially like the 45g. Might I suggest however a black background on them? poster board from the dollar store is cheap and works great.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

agreed with above, #1 I'd take the moss balls and lay them out as a carpet across your gravel. Would make it look like grass coming up to a raised flower bed, then you need to move the heater lower / plant some thicker plants to hide it.

#3 is my favorite out of the 4, its a little bit of chaos with so many different plants in there, but it still looks better than anything I've got so far...

#2 I'm not sure if that qualifies as a 'planted tank'? More of a tank with "a" plant in it...

#4 I think would look awesome to get some moss going across the driftwood, and add more variety than just swords an moss - maybe take some cuttings out of #3 a little to place in #4?

still nice tanks though, wish I had the room for more tanks, not sure my wife would let me though even if we had more room... I think I might have her convinced that I am getting a bigger SW tank when we get a bigger house, but probably stuck with just the 55 for FW at home...
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I like tank #4 the best, or I think it has the best potential. It needs more plants, but I love the wood.

#1: I'm not a huge fan of the rock layout and moss balls. I like more natural looks.

#2: I really don't like hexagon tanks at all, I say you sell this one and reinvest the money in a new tank or some plants for the #4 tank.

#3: I like that it is like a jungle. It does seem to have a huge variety of plants, I think less varieties would be better though.

Do you have plans to make some changes to these tanks? I think if you do, focus on 1 tank at a time and get it the way you want before moving on to the next tank.

What do you think of your tanks?
Old 11-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoveringmypath View Post

Do you have plans to make some changes to these tanks? I think if you do, focus on 1 tank at a time and get it the way you want before moving on to the next tank.

What do you think of your tanks?
My tanks are always changing, it seems with every water change I need to rearrange something...kind of like the furniture in my living room. I love them all four. I do agree with the majority of the comments about the moss balls looking weird in the first tank. I am planning a total redo of this tank and removing the moss balls. For the most part I am happy with them.