A rookies quest - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

zero surface agitation is what we are going for.

i think the light may be the weak link here, like Psiorian said give the baby tears some time and see if they bounce back, if they continue to melt you need to up the lights!
Sean W. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Default A rookies quest

Well some surface agitation is good for o2 exchange maybe some ripples. Check out some pics of nice tanks and look at the surface and try to mimic that. (Some tanks with 0 surface agitation in pictures have the filter off for picture purposes)

Though the more you have the more co2 you will have to inject. Some people move the outflows up and down after the lights are off. Or run airstones at night as well if they have low surface agitation.

No worries I just started a while ago too but it read about these tanks way too much. Since you live in SF, did you get all the stuff from AFA? I love that store I go there every chance I'm in the city.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Rookie Rob
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes, I got everything from AFA, but went out locally and bought a CO2 cylinder from a local painball store. The only component I did not get there was the drop checker. I read great reviews on the CalAqua Labs checker and got that from GLA and it arrived today.
I am not a fan of the AFA website as it needs some bandwidth or something as it takes forever to find things but the store is impressive as is the staff.
Rookie Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #19
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rob View Post
Yes, I got everything from AFA, but went out locally and bought a CO2 cylinder from a local painball store. The only component I did not get there was the drop checker. I read great reviews on the CalAqua Labs checker and got that from GLA and it arrived today.
I am not a fan of the AFA website as it needs some bandwidth or something as it takes forever to find things but the store is impressive as is the staff.
Oh man totally agree with you on the website. I thought it was my computer. I think it's all those fancy ripples in the background.

Oh and I like the black hides equipment. I just added to my tank too
Old 11-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Rookie Rob
Algae Grower

Looking at how many people sell the ADA stuff online and the quality of their sites, makes me want to open my own store.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Looking at how many people sell the ADA stuff online and the quality of their sites, makes me want to open my own store.
Ooo need partners? I just want stuff at wholesale prices lol.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
Rookie Rob
Algae Grower

I was seriously thinking about it being there is a growing demand in the U.S. My only concern is that my experience is so low, I would just be a parts seller and not informed enough to help people with critical decisions. I was also looking at Cal Aqua Labs as they don't seem to have a California distributor and the other west coast location in Oregon, does not have a sales website. I also like their packaging and the fact that the products are made in Thailand and not China.

Check this guys picture and site out!
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/i...p/online-sales
Old 11-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I was seriously thinking about it being there is a growing demand in the U.S. My only concern is that my experience is so low, I would just be a parts seller and not informed enough to help people with critical decisions. I was also looking at Cal Aqua Labs as they don't seem to have a California distributor and the other west coast location in Oregon, does not have a sales website. I also like their packaging and the fact that the products are made in Thailand and not China.

Check this guys picture and site out!
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/i...p/online-sales
Oh man that picture!

Yea cal aqua labs I was surprised didnt have a california distributor, I usually buy from GLA all the way in FL which seems weird to me as they are in cali :P

Well I'm sure there are a lot of experienced people on here to help, websites do help a lot. I mean other than starting a whole company yourself maybe just help redo someone's and thus reap some benefits without all of the capital to start a whole new business (BTW if you do end up doing this and get a discount, remember me!)
Old 11-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #24
Rookie Rob
Algae Grower

I already have experience with running a business as well as a distribution network, I just prefer to be a guru in the item I am selling.
I also have no idea what the market is like in regards to supply chain needs and volume. Might be worth an email to Cal Aqua Labs. I also only have a small picture of what people think of the product.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #25
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I already have experience with running a business as well as a distribution network, I just prefer to be a guru in the item I am selling.
I also have no idea what the market is like in regards to supply chain needs and volume. Might be worth an email to Cal Aqua Labs. I also only have a small picture of what people think of the product.
Oh wow, this sounds like it could be the beginning of something great!

Do it! I can tell you I will buy stuff!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.