Lava hard scape pave rocks... Safe for tanks?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Lava hard scape pave rocks... Safe for tanks?

So I purchased some at an unbelievable $2! For the amount I got, if I went to a lfs would have costed me like $40. The employee said it was safe but I wanted another opinion before i take the plunge. I will soak it in water for a bit as he recommended.... But someone else Lso told me that it will leech all kinds of bad stuff.. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free this is the only picture I have at the moment..

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Fishnshrimp2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Not sure if it is the same thing, but I use the small lava rock from lowes in some of my aquariums with no ill effects. I just rinse it off before use. I also attached my java fern to a piece.
Fishnshrimp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Show us a picture?
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
Show us a picture?
Image posted

Finnex member #14
Old 10-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnshrimp2 View Post
Not sure if it is the same thing, but I use the small lava rock from lowes in some of my aquariums with no ill effects. I just rinse it off before use. I also attached my java fern to a piece.
The employee told me they package rocks and such for lowes and stuff... Did you soak yours? I plan to use my rocks in a shrimp tank... It scares me a little though because the shrimp are far more important than me than te rocks

Finnex member #14
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Those are nice! Where did you get them?

I've used lava rock without issue.

Last edited by Aplomado; 10-29-2013 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: more info
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If it's lava rock, it should be just fine, and generally won't leach anything.

Most lava rock is basically the same mineral composition as basalt, just full of bubbles and cooled to quickly for visible crystals to form. Not real sure what type you have, it looks a bit lighter then typical basalt. Probably something more like granite/diorite or something. Nothing that can really leach out of it.

About the only exception I can think of is if the lava rock was gathered from a carbonate-rich area, and some of the carbonates had washed over/deposited on the lava rock, but that would probably be visible.

It might be worth soaking and scrubbing with a brush if it looks dirty, but other then that, should be good to put in the tank.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
Those are nice! Where did you get them?

I've used lava rock without issue.
Here in hawAii we have a hard scaping store called "geobunga" the guy is nice... I even picked up some "fish safe root tabs" I'm not sure what I'm going to test it on

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
If it's lava rock, it should be just fine, and generally won't leach anything.

Most lava rock is basically the same mineral composition as basalt, just full of bubbles and cooled to quickly for visible crystals to form. Not real sure what type you have, it looks a bit lighter then typical basalt. Probably something more like granite/diorite or something. Nothing that can really leach out of it.

About the only exception I can think of is if the lava rock was gathered from a carbonate-rich area, and some of the carbonates had washed over/deposited on the lava rock, but that would probably be visible.

It might be worth soaking and scrubbing with a brush if it looks dirty, but other then that, should be good to put in the tank.
Thanks.. I'm replacing my Ohko stone. Sadly can't afford to buy more Ohko stone as why I'm switching out for these lava rocks... Ohko stones r beautiful but also hard to find nice pieces you can work with... Plus mine are covered in fissidens! Haha

Finnex member #14
Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have these same rocks in my pond. It's about 75 gallons and I uesd the rock to line the bottom and sides.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Fishnshrimp2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
The employee told me they package rocks and such for lowes and stuff... Did you soak yours? I plan to use my rocks in a shrimp tank... It scares me a little though because the shrimp are far more important than me than te rocks
My rocks were the red lava rock. I just rinsed them off with water and a new toothbrush() because they were a little dusty from shipping. My shrimp love them.
Fishnshrimp2 is offline   Reply With Quote