Spec V stock light - a small DIY mod
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Spec V stock light - a small DIY mod

I don't like using the blue moonlights at night, but I do like having them on at the same time as the white during the day. Why? Who knows, just personal preference (a little color, feel like I am getting just a little more out of the light)

On the Finnex Fugeray the white and blue have independent switches, so turning them both on is no big deal. The Spec V LED bar only has one switch with 3 positions - Blue - OFF - White. No way to force Blue & White together.

Did a little exploratory surgery on mine, bunch of little screws on the LED side. Comes apart in 2 pieces, and the little plastic switch slider falls out. Surprise! The switch itself is splash 'resistant' - the slide has 2 tiny little magnets and no physical connection, I assume there are little reed switches inside the fixture.

The little magnets pull out of the plastic slide, a little scotch tape to hold each one in place over the 2 "on" areas. Now both white and blue are on together! Hold the switch slide over the area when putting the 2 halves back together (for looks, hides the tape work).

Of course, now there is no way to turn the light off, but I run all my lights on a timer anyway. If you wanted a little 'cleaner' job you could super glue the magnets in place.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Well done! Now if only there was a way to independently turn the blue on/off so you could use a second timer to kick over to blue at night...
kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
SR52012
Algae Grower

Any pics?
SR52012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Deano85
Algae Grower

I glued a small magnet inside of the switch. Now I get on/off/blues/whites+blues
Deano85 is offline   Reply With Quote