Moving up...and need assistance
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
gparr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Moving up...and need assistance

I have had this 120g. low light - low tech - no CO2 tank for awhile now (about 2 years) and I feel I am ready to take it to the next level. I would like to move up to CO2 etc. I am getting a build me led set of lights, my buddy is going to help me build a victor dual stage regulator and I will controll the CO2 with a pH controller. I will also build a rex grigg CO reactor.

My problem...I am a music teacher and I have NO ability to plan out an aquascape. I want to eventually house 6 discus with cardinal tetras so I do know the plants must be able to take 82* water.

Is there someone who could assist me with a planting plan or lead to me to an area where I could get some assistance?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0217.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	228953  

gparr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I'm confused you can read music, you can teach music but, you can not do a Google search?

"lead to me to an area where I could get some assistance?"

Go to Google.

Type in, "Discus, planted tank" you get, About 307,000 results (0.35 seconds)
Type in, "plants for duscus tank' you get, About 1,460,000 results (0.32 seconds)
Type in, "Discus bio-type plants", you get About 408,000 results (0.43 seconds

Go to YouTube you get this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEzUItVzMFk

And there is piano music in the background.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
gparr
Algae Grower

Thanks you for such kind and encouraging words!!!

Of course I checked google...I was not asking for pictures...I was asking for some assistance with planning!!! Maybe I should be a little more specific so I do not get another comment from such as you.

The assistance I could use would be for the correct names and placement of plants within the fish tank. A more artisitc approach than my very limited capabilities.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
doug6952
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your tank as it is looks good and would be fine for discus. Discus prefer lower light levels. Their natural waters are fairly dark from overhanging trees and the tannin stained water.
doug6952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #5
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

be ready to do 2-3 water changes a week depending on the size of the discus, would probably be beneficial to change your substrate to sand and would also be good if you over filter your tank.
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gparr View Post
Thanks you for such kind and encouraging words!!!

Of course I checked google...I was not asking for pictures...I was asking for some assistance with planning!!! Maybe I should be a little more specific so I do not get another comment from such as you.

The assistance I could use would be for the correct names and placement of plants within the fish tank. A more artisitc approach than my very limited capabilities.
Well if you would READ the links when you did a google web search you would find web sites that tell you the plants that will work. Then you can look at google images to see them and link to more web pages that tell you the requirements.

Plant placement is a matter of personal preference. So go back to the Google images you don't want to see, and use them for inspiration.

Or, here's another crazy idea, start reading the threads here

You'll get more out of the hobby if you get involved vs. being spoon feed the answers.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #7
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

The guy is just asking for some advice on his setup. He doesn't want to get spoon fed, just ideas and insperation on things he could possibly do to his tank.

Where on the internet can I put an image of my tank and ask for friendly advice from more experienced people in a particular hobby?

hmm... Well I don't see it on Google... I guess you would have to use a forum... wierd...

I wish I could help you out on what would look good, but I'm fairly new to the hobby myself. I do like dwarf hair grass when it carpets the substrate. I also like substrate with mounds, hills or the illusion of mounds and hills.

I would just find plants that you like and throw them in there, move stuff around and see what you can come up with; part of the fun. Good luck man! Hopefully you can get some more constructive feedback on things that could look good on your setup.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoveringmypath View Post
The guy is just asking for some advice on his setup. He doesn't want to get spoon fed...

Where on the internet can I put an image of my tank and ask for friendly advice from more experienced people in a particular hobby?

hmm... Well I don't see it on Google... I guess you would have to use a forum... wierd...
I think there's a difference between asking basic questions that could be found with a simple search. Like warm water plant lists vs. somthing more complex like say... how to successfully spawn Cherry barbs. One of the few topics that is not covered by a lot of threads here.

I admit I find "tell me how to aquascape" questions about as silly as what ice cream flavor will I like. How on earth do we know what aquascape style tank someone would like to look at in their own home.

I honestly feel the best pearl of wisdom is, get involved by doing your own research. But, maybe in the future, I'll just surf past these threads, and let weak fall by the wayside.

Last edited by DogFish; 11-01-2013 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: + smile faces
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

i would search for planted tanks which have discus to get ideas on the type of materials and flora used. That's what i would do.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
Joraa—
"TirŤd~about to RetirŽ "

PTrader: (328/100%)

Quote:
so I do know the plants must be able to take 82* water.
I dont understand what it means?

Are you asking about which Plants to use in the tank that can tolerate 82* water temp? If so any/ all plant/s can/will adopt the temp with no problem but need to pump more co2 and bit more Fertz.

This journal might help you. Lad is not in Action anymore in US.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=73833&page=9
Joraa— is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
cowfish007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Discus prefer warm, acidic water (pH 5-6, temps in the mid 80s) and this will limit what types of plants you can have to some degree.

I'm new to planted tanks, but some of the aquascape tips I've garnered here are:

-figure out what type of 'scape you want - biotype, nature scene, realistic underwater view, is the focus the fish or the plants, etc.
-smaller leaved plants towards the back help with perceived depth
-slope the substrate higher in the back, this also gives a greater impression of depth
-don't plant a million different species of plants, it looks better when you have groupings of same/similar plants.
-leave 1/4 to a 1/3 of the scape open/unplanted (except for a "carpet" which is usually low to the substrate anyway)
-follow the rule of thirds, similar to photography, to create focal points without being overwhelming.

Best bet is to look at pictures of planted tanks with discus to help you get some ideas as to what you would like to do. Hope this helps and good luck.
cowfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
gparr
Algae Grower

Thanks cowfish and others who have offered sincere pieces of advice.

To you others that seem to have the holier than thou attitudes thanks for nothing and please feel free to make no further comments on my thread. Gees I simply cannot believe some people's attitude. If you can't make a positive response on someone's thread...move on to something else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.