Red dragon plakat spawn 10-29-13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (40/100%)

Red dragon plakat spawn 10-29-13

Been a long time coming this year. But I finally managed to do it.
I orders my red dragon plakat female and male about two in a half weeks ago and have been conditioning them since, while conditioning them I made a custom breeder box for inside my 55 g tank. It's approx 4g and measures 13x8x8

I attached it using suction cups and a rubber band holding one side up on a piece of 24in finishing wood, needless to say this was the easy part. After this was sealed and positioned I began to out the ial in the tank as usual. As well as tie plants to rocks and place the styro cup for the male to build the nest, I finished conditioning the male in his new home. He actually loves this home better than the entire 55g aquarium he was in.

Yesterday I introduced the male and female. And it was not happenin. The female obliterated the nest. And left the male to clean up. I took her out after an hour, and re introduced her this morning. Things went swimmingly, pun intended.

Here is my male and female along with the breeding tank. There are more ial and plants than in this picture.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
RusselltheShihTzu
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)

He is absolutely gorgeous! He carries his fins so beautifully. Should be a nice bunch of babies.
RusselltheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Thank you, I agree he is a nice beta, his flare is also exceptional. The female also has a high aggression wich will help in the offspring, the male is tending to his nest like a good daddy

Old 10-31-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

The male is still guarding the nest and picking up eggs that fall. Well some of them. Not sure if this will be a successful spawn yet. My previous spawn had wriggles by this time. No movement yet.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Update guys. The fry have hatched! I counted maybe 30-40 fry. Unfortunate that the spawn was not bigger but that's ok. I'll work with what I was given haha. There so teeny tiny with huge eyeballs haha.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Congrats friend.
Couldve been worse. Me and my roommate had a spawn about the same time as yours. Lot of eggs. When we pulled the male out today I could find 1 little fry. If there are more than 10 I will be surprised.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
RusselltheShihTzu
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)

Wonderful! Congratulations!
RusselltheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #8
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I just looked when I got home from work and it seems like more eggs have hatched about 60-70 of them. !!!!!! Now I am exited. Have to vacuum out snail poop tomorrow. Thank you guys. Any pointers are always welcome as well. This is only my 4th breeding.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Should I add a small air driven filter guys? With a sponge on the intake.

Also there is a brownish muck on the sides of the tank can I scrub it off without affecting the developing fry or should I leave it.

When should I take the male out, my last male got depressed and stopped taking care of the fry that's partially why I didn't have a high survival rate. This guy is a good daddy however

Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #10
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Little update guys, I removed the algae with tweezers and was careful to no get the babies twirled into the ball. It seemed like the algae was growing off the roots of the frogbit so I removed all the frogbit as well.

I can not find all the babies, there so tiny I looked everywhere and found only 10

Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #11
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Cleaned the tank out of the brown not he acrylic and the algae growing as well. Suctioned all the poo out again and fed them when I got home from work. They are very feisty and I counted upwards of over 60! This makes me very exited. Also I am going to add a tetra air driven filter tomorrow with purigen in it to lower any ammonia nitrate or nitrite in the spawning tank. At a very low flow rate of course.

In other news. My first plant to pearl in the tank is my anubias lol. Kind of funny there is no co2 no ferts either, it's just really close to the light, I see the bubbles forming on the leaves and even a little stream of bubbles coming out from under a leaf. The java fern is starting to pearl as well.

Any suggestions on getting out all the poo and nasties on the bottom without taking a lot of water out because the turkey baster isn't cutting it

Old 11-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #12
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Started siphoning the tank with airline hose and sucked a few babies up. I did turkey baster them back to the tank but it scares me. There has to be a better way to clean the tank. Ideas?

Old 11-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #13
Terminalance
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Leave the algae for the fry it will provide them some food!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

There is no other way until the fry is big enough to get away from your airline tube. It took mine about 2-3 weeks. So for the first 2-3 weeks you'll have to clean poop with turkey baster everyday.

To water change, you can use an airline tube with an airstone at the end that goes inside the tank. The airstone will allow water to be sucked out but the fry wont be. that makes water changes easier. =)

For the algae, if it bothers you add some snails. I added snails and cherry shrimps to my fry tank to help eat any uneaten food so the water stay cleaner.

Good Luck! Don't be sad that its not a spawn of 100!, 50-60 is the best number i think, because they hard to manage when they get to about 2-3 months old!.

They also have to be separated earlier than the long finned variations because they are more aggressive =<.. I'm trying to tame their aggression by housing them with some endlers. Suprisingly, they are not eating the endler frys O.o.
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Haha, I have two nerites snails in the tanks but it's like a hair algae or something. It's brown. And very slimy. It jsut makes me think the tank is not healthy for them. But what would I know. Just trying to keep a clean and healthy environment for them.

So wait about two more weeks and en use the airline, for the time being a turkey baster and water change with air stone. Add one of my cherry shrimp, providing he can survive in a tds of 625

I have other fish in the tank I can tame the epagression with, baby guppy and platy as well as some sae catfish and possibly the halfbeak. Aggression isn't what I am working for after all.

Yeah I am going to be building a canopy shelf for the top of my tank when the time comes I can cup the and start selling them. Not looking for much just enough to break even on what I spent for the pair and tank build.

I fed micro worms today I was amazed how agressive the babies are they were tearing them to shreds! Literally haha it was fun to watch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.