UR help needed keeping water level while...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
ernest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

UR help needed keeping water level while...

traveling
Yes dear friends I live in south florida is hot and dry sometimes. I will be traveling ..out for 15 days . I have checked and the volume lost for same time is about 20 % in my 10G tank ...
I dont want to stress too much the tank plants and fish. They are hard fish but you never know. So I am lookink for a DIY system to refill the water while away.
if possible sometinh that I can built w/o pumps more like communicating vases or
a container on top of the fish tank
here is an old pic. Now is even better
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00729.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	226945  

ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

DO you have someone that could come by and pour water into the tank ? Do you dose ferts ? If so, I'd predissolve the doses into the water pictures / vases you'd have them add to the tank. If no one available to help out then could you add glass tops ? If you get accurate measurements a lot of local old mom & pop's hardware stores will custom cut glass for you (pretty cheap for a 10gal). This would allow the evaporation to simply recondense and fall back into the tank with minimal loss.

Also make sure you clean the tank well and perform a water change prior to your trip.
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You could try doing something like those old chicken watering stations, or primitive top offs.

just get a container, fill it with water (ideally distilled/RO, but I imagine whatever you normally use will be just fine), and invert it with the opening just below water level (You'll have to make some sort of stand, or liberal use of ducttape to hold it in place).

Once evaporation lowers the water level below the opening, air can get into the bottle, allowing water to flow out and refill the tank up to the opening.

If you have some big (~1 gallon) juice/milk/soda/whatever containers, two of those should have you covered, but even just 1 or 2 liters/quarts would help lessen the water loss. might want to put some plastic wrap around the area where you mount them, just to lessen evaporation where the opening is.

Won't be pretty, but if no one is there to look at it, it shouldn't matter much...
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
ernest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfynyson View Post
DO you have someone that could come by and pour water into the tank ? Do you dose ferts ? If so, I'd predissolve the doses into the water pictures / vases you'd have them add to the tank. If no one available to help out then could you add glass tops ? If you get accurate measurements a lot of local old mom & pop's hardware stores will custom cut glass for you (pretty cheap for a 10gal). This would allow the evaporation to simply recondense and fall back into the tank with minimal loss.

Also make sure you clean the tank well and perform a water change prior to your trip.
Yes before leaving water change and cleaning will be made Thanks for the advice , unfortunately no one will come to check that

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
You could try doing something like those old chicken watering stations, or primitive top offs.

just get a container, fill it with water (ideally distilled/RO, but I imagine whatever you normally use will be just fine), and invert it with the opening just below water level (You'll have to make some sort of stand, or liberal use of ducttape to hold it in place).

Once evaporation lowers the water level below the opening, air can get into the bottle, allowing water to flow out and refill the tank up to the opening.

If you have some big (~1 gallon) juice/milk/soda/whatever containers, two of those should have you covered, but even just 1 or 2 liters/quarts would help lessen the water loss. might want to put some plastic wrap around the area where you mount them, just to lessen evaporation where the opening is.

Won't be pretty, but if no one is there to look at it, it shouldn't matter much...
yeas I guess this is my alternative I will use them RO water from supermarket
Thanks fro advice
ernest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you have some jugs with tops that are not too open to air, there might be another way. Set up some siphons to a line of jugs next to the tank. As the water goes down in the tank it will draw water from the reserves. Be aware that siphons have a nasty habit of losing prime and may quit if they get air in the tube. You don't need much flow so something as simple as airline tubing can work for this.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic water filler, evaporation water level, traveling