Giant danios eating shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #1
Tuesday113
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Giant danios eating shrimp?

Hey whats up guys? I seem to be having problem keeping shrimp in my tank and I am not really sure why. I once before tried keeping red cherry shrimp with no luck. Out of all 15 I put in only one made it, he was hiding under driftwood and when I changed it out weeks ago that was the last time I saw him. I never even saw the dead shrimp. I now tried keeping ghost shrimp and I haven't seen all 5 since I put them in two nights ago. I have 5 zebra danios, 3 pearl danios, and 7 giant danios which I am starting to think are eating them but i have never seen it happen. Has anyone else had this problem?
Tuesday113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your fish are eating your shrimp.

The general rule is that if it fits in a fishes mouth, it will be eaten. If the danios know the shrimp are snacks they may also tear them apart to make them into bite size pieces!
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
Your fish are eating your shrimp.

The general rule is that if it fits in a fishes mouth, it will be eaten. If the danios know the shrimp are snacks they may also tear them apart to make them into bite size pieces!
+1 totally agree
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Tuesday113
Algae Grower

Thanks guys.. That's what I figured. I'm gonna go with bamboo shrimp since they are large and completely peaceful and also I have plenty of water movement so it should be perfect.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

Fish can still harass Bamboo Shrimp. So be wary of that.

When it comes to keeping them, you'll need more than flow. Make sure you have adequate space for them to perch near your filter outflow so they can filter food particles with their fans. If you don't have enough in your water column, you'll want to make sure you're supplementing their diet with particulate goodies.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
Tuesday113
Algae Grower

To my surprise a week ago when I turned off my light timer to look at my tank a little longer I noticed that all my ghost shrimp started coming out. They did survive I guess they just prefer to hide in my subwassertang until its dark.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
garfieldnfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

I would not add any shrimp to a tank with giant danios. At some point they will get your shrimp. It's only a matter of time. Your other fish and bamboo shrimp would be ok but not with the giant danios.
20g L174/L46/hastatus/pygmy corys, 10g OEBTs/RCS, 10g blue bees, 10g CRS, 15g L316/L46/L340 fry, 10g yellow rili/yellow shrimp, 15g ADFs/clown plecos, 25g L134s/CPDs/otos, 29g Weitzmani/panda corys/zebra otos, 46g CAE/L134s/CPDs/salt and pepper corys/BNs, rubberlip pleco, 55g SAEs/L201s/L199s/BNs/kissing gourami, 75g L316s/BNs/mix of old fish folk, 30g L340s/L211/black darter tetras/CPDs/micro rasboras/L340 fry,10g tangerine tiger shrimp, 20g L134/habrosus corys, 10g L340 fry
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote