I have a question for those keeping shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
pink4miss
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have a question for those keeping shrimp

I'm trying to figure out what everyone is doing when the summer hits and the warmer temps make it very hard to keep the tank at 68 to 74 that a lot of the shrimp are listed as its ideal temperatures. what is the top temperature you are keeping your shrimp at and what type are they? i want to buy a few blue bolts and i worry that summer temps will be a problem. and i won't be able to keep the tank under 76 degrees.

i have blue velvets and they are doing well even when my tank was at 80 ( now at 78 soon to change it to 76) . but i know they are one of the easiest shrimp to keep.

any info on what type shrimp you have and temperatures you keep your shrimp at …high and low, and how well they do would be a great help to help me decide if blue bolts are even something i can keep. i have been reading they are difficult to keep.
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

If you're keeping Blue Bolts or other Taiwan Bees, you'll want to keep them pretty cool. Ideally 72 or lower. I personally don't keep mine above 74 at all.

Neos, though, have been fine for me at 80-82 with no issues.

Wanna cool them off? Fans blowing across the surface of the water are cheap and really effective.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
If you're keeping Blue Bolts or other Taiwan Bees, you'll want to keep them pretty cool. Ideally 72 or lower. I personally don't keep mine above 74 at all.

Neos, though, have been fine for me at 80-82 with no issues.

Wanna cool them off? Fans blowing across the surface of the water are cheap and really effective.

exactly.
I have a tank of Neos in my office and during the summer they turn off the AC on weekends. I've seen the temps get into mid/high 80s in the tank without a problem.

As for TBs, like Jake said, gotta keep the temps ~72. Maybe TBs arent the shrimp for you if you are worried about temps.
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #4
pink4miss
Planted Member

thanks. i just don't want to turn my air lower than i normally have it during summer months for shrimp. i normally run the air at 77 in the house on summer months. i could go to 76 but i don't like it to cold.
i was wondering what was the highest temps some of these cold water shrimps can be kept at. i read its many about bacteria and oxygen . since bacteria forms more in warmer water and oxygen levels drop in hotter water. i read those shrimp need the higher oxygen in warmer waters .. ( air stone) i don't believe all i read thats why I'm asking
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

You hit the nail on the head, pink. Those are a few of the reasons temps need to be kept low with more sensitive shrimp.

You could keep the temps in check with a small computer fan over the top of the tank. I routinely cool tanks down about 8-10 degrees with a fan in summer.

Gotta keep up with top-offs, though.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
pink4miss
Planted Member

thank you everyone for your thoughts on this, guess i have to decide weather i want to put the extra effort in keeping blue bolts cool. or just be happy with the neo's