Proof of what illegal buys will get you
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Proof of what illegal buys will get you

There's been several posts over the year about doing an illegal buy of shrimp from another place and shipping them here or there.

This thread posted today deals with a member who had illegal plants shipped to him and the FEDs found out. This applies towards shrimp as well- More so because they are an animal.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...37#post4528937
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

interesting... but glad its there... as an avid scuba diver I see the impacts of aquatic hitchhikers getting in to our eco-system... most places we dive we have stuff out in the water (sunken boats, ice fishing shanties that went through the ice etc.) mapped out for people to practice their navigation skills/underwater photography skills... pretty much EVERYTHING is covered with zebra mussels...

another one that hit me was when I went upstate NY this summer I went diving in the St.Lawrence sea way and it is just overrun by round gobies that hitchhiked their way in ships...

Not to mention the Asian carp that are threatening the great lakes...

Or the lion fish wiping out reef fish all over florida / Bahamas / virgin islands...

Last edited by rininger85; 10-23-2013 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Mods always jumping on the case to close whatever they can. This forum makes alot of money from sponsors and stuff.

That was a good topic, an eye opener for people who didnt know or knew but didnt know the consequences. Woudlve preferred to see the conversation going.

The carp have made their way quiet north. I was boating on Rice Lake 2 summers ago and there were dead carp everywhere. The shore smelled bad from the decaying fish and while boating, there were dead floaters everywhere. Some disease hit the carp I believe that wiped them out. Zebra muscles have effected the lake in a way that they clean the water. As more light penetrates deeper into the lake = algae. Hope my knowledge is upto date with this.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Old 10-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

I really wish that thread hadn't got locked down. Hopefully there is a way for a mod to go in and change the title (like remove the vendor name) and insert 'overseas seller' or some such. Because everyone needs to know that info. Might be common sense to others, but it very well might not be to a lot of folks. Or perhaps there should be a sticky somewhere that just says 'some plants and species are illegal in certain countries and you can go to jail if you attempt to purchase them' and just slap it up as a warning for members in general. 'The more you know' sorta thing.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Yeah, editing can be done rather easily I would think. The most important message there is DON'T BUY ILLEGAL or there will be consequences. And in that thread is PROOF. I could care less what company it was.

So many newbies don't even know that buying from other places outside the continental US is asking for trouble- even though we repeat it again and again in posts. Even sending outside without proper paperwork can bring the agents on you. Others just write it off as myth. It's VERY important to know these things and to spread it along to other hobbyists.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Yeah, editing can be done rather easily I would think. The most important message there is DON'T BUY ILLEGAL or there will be consequences. And in that thread is PROOF. I could care less what company it was.

So many newbies don't even know that buying from other places outside the continental US is asking for trouble- even though we repeat it again and again in posts. Even sending outside without proper paperwork can bring the agents on you. Others just write it off as myth. It's VERY important to know these things and to spread it along to other hobbyists.

I agree. Heck just in the shrimp/invert section alone how many times do we see threads talking about how cheap a species is overseas and how much would it cost to ship without realizing import/export licenses are needed (and costly) and so on and so forth. It's one thing to have blatant disregard for the law, it's another to be totally ignorant of it. We're all here to learn right?? I realize it's our own responsibility and such but we have many youngsters on here, it's not a bad thing to help people learn Heck, I'm an adult and I appreciate the thread being posted!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

i didn't even think about it. there is a guy on AB that is selling a ton of buces, and i was thinking about buying some of them....maybe i should look into weither or not i can even get the plant in.

i had generally assumed it was the sellers responsibilty to not sell a product where it is illegal. its a shame that mods closed the thread, but i'm not sure how they could have changed words to make it stay open, but i do agree there should be a open conversation about this so that we can be more aware of this, and do our research before buying.

like i said i've never thought twice about that sort of thing.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Personally I'd be suspect of buying anything live from overseas myself... buying cheap Chinese products is one thing... but I'd be afraid that buying that far away whatever I bought would be dead by the time it got here if it were a live specimen of any sort... be it fish, corals, plants, inverts etc. Its hard enough to buy live specimen on the opposite side of the country without them charging an arm and a leg to give you next day or 2 day shipping... so I can't imagine paying next day or 2 day shipping from overseas...
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
CPD
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I first got into shrimp keeping I had no idea about federal laws regarding imports. Luckily I did my homework by a quick search on Google and on TPT and I chose to go local. All it takes is a quick search to inform yourself on what you can and cannot do. Plus if it looks too good to be true it generally is. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
BriDroid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Someone on our local forum posted that they were getting some "cool" rare plants from this same guy on eBay. I warned them and told them what could happen. Their response to me was, "I got mine, so who cares... and you're an idiot".

I can only hope they get visited by a friendly customs agent LOL!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

The thread got closed because certain users couldn't abide by our guidelines and could not hold a civil discussion without: reviewing vendors or attacking others.

And this thread is now closed for the same reason.
Closed Thread