Psiorian's 60F - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #31
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Flash View Post
Yeah, it is looking sharp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Looking good. That background looks really good as well. Like where this is going.
Thanks guys! Hopefully I dont screw it all up when I plant it
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #32
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Nah, just go slowly and have fun, and it will be all good.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #33
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I planted and filled the tank. HC in the foreground and UG in the background, some anubia nana petite in the areas that are slightly shaded.

The infamous filling picture

I didn't have my inflow at the time of the filling. I tried the spin out but because of the flow pattern of the spin (it makes like a ball of water around the outflow its really cool) it directed some flow downwards. Because of the shallow height of the 60F it kicks up the substrate no matter where I put it even if I turn the filter down. So I'm selling my spin to try to get something different, probably a cal aqua labs pipe F1.

I went to dual hobs. AC20 and Sunsun 301 until I can get a proper lily outflow to match my X1s that is coming. You can see all the kicked up AS/sand in the back of the picture. I didnt bother cleaning it yet as I'm still trying to test pipes. (The water is still a little cloudy)

If you look eye level you cant really see the HOBs because of the black background.

As the configuration sits now, the lily pipes can only go on the back of the tank unless I buy some elbows. I bought some connectors from home depot today I'll try them and report back how it is working.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #34
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Looking good!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #35
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

always wanted to try the sand/soil seperation, but I just know my fish and shrimp would ruin it within the first day. looks good though!
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #36
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Very nice... can't wait to see it fill in.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #37
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looking great. Sucks about the spin not working. I am sure a normal jet should work but maybe a poppy flow? It really doesn't allow for the flow to go downwards, but it's also quite big. If you use the outlet on your 2234, without the plastic insert, that works about the same as a jet style outflow so that may be worth trying and see how much things get stirred up.

Anyway, can't wait to see where this goes.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #38
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Looking great. Sucks about the spin not working. I am sure a normal jet should work but maybe a poppy flow? It really doesn't allow for the flow to go downwards, but it's also quite big. If you use the outlet on your 2234, without the plastic insert, that works about the same as a jet style outflow so that may be worth trying and see how much things get stirred up.

Anyway, can't wait to see where this goes.
Poppy hmm I do remember your journal about that one, and how you showed the flow patterns, I will have to take this into consideration as well.

Thats exactly what I was thinking just like a jet outflow. But since I bought the filter used and split stuff with my buddy, I realized I didnt have a normal outflow

I do have the spraybar attachment though (short one maybe 2-3 inches), I'm not sure how that would work would that create enough flow?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #39
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Poppy hmm I do remember your journal about that one, and how you showed the flow patterns, I will have to take this into consideration as well.

Thats exactly what I was thinking just like a jet outflow. But since I bought the filter used and split stuff with my buddy, I realized I didnt have a normal outflow

I do have the spraybar attachment though (short one maybe 2-3 inches), I'm not sure how that would work would that create enough flow?
You could borrow my Eheim or my generic acrylic outflow to experiment. If you give me a deposit, I would even let you borrow my poppy glass. I need two out of the three so unfortunately it would have to be one by one. PM me if you are interested. I do think the poppy glass may be a bit intrusive on a 60F.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #40
Keyboard Aquatics
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Just putting two cents in here on the ViV pipes since I carry them.

The Spin pipe does drop a bit. If you were not worried about the force of the flow, you could use a VI-1032 because the output is a full 3/4 of an inch higher than the bottom of the spin pipe in the 13 mm size.

Tank looks sweetly aquascaped.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #41
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Aquatics View Post
Just putting two cents in here on the ViV pipes since I carry them.

The Spin pipe does drop a bit. If you were not worried about the force of the flow, you could use a VI-1032 because the output is a full 3/4 of an inch higher than the bottom of the spin pipe in the 13 mm size.

Tank looks sweetly aquascaped.
Thanks!

That style of pipe isnt out of the question. I am either looking at one of those or a regular style lily pipe. Depending on the lily it may still disturb the substrate as it angles the flow downwards.

That jet style flow is a good option though as well. Anyone else use these? I havent seen too many tanks with them on.

Any chance to see these on monday madness in the upcoming weeks?

I'm going to do some temporary mock-ups to see what things look like so I buy the correct pipe the next time.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #42
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I cleaned up the sand, well I tried. I sucked up the top layer of sand as it was stained from the Aquasoil and added new sand. I'll let everything settle a bit before picking out the AS one by one from the sand.

I attached a bunch of elbows to try to make a regular lily pipe fit that I had laying around. I found out I needed to use hose claimps on these elbows as I had a mess when I primed the filter with leaking water everywhere. After putting hose clamps + zip ties + some super glue everything looked dry after 20 minutes of testing.

Here is what the pipe looks like now.

Here is the FTS

It is not bad, but it sticks out pretty far. I guess I'll use this for now until I get some nano lily pipes. What do you guys think are nano lily pipes that much more compact?

I hope there is no water on the ground tomorrow morning I will have to see.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #43
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

How's the tank coming along? Hope you didn't get any more leaks!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #44
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
How's the tank coming along? Hope you didn't get any more leaks!
So I figured out why I was getting leaks. I was using PEX tubing elbows instead of vinyl tubing elbows so there wasn't a good seal.

I got new elbows and I'm going to change my lily pipes so they are both in the front so I can use a surface skimmer and hide it on the black background.

I'm waiting on new supplies to make this change and a new lily pipe to replace the spin.

Should have everything by this weekend for an update

Plants are all doing well coming along.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #45
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Cool... glad you figured out the leaking issue.

So is the Sat+ doing alright elevated at that distance? I'm just wondering if you should lower it a bit?