Psiorian's 60F - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #16
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,345
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
I have a Eheim Ecco 2234 filter sitting around, do you guys think that would be too much flow for this tank? 145gph is what its rated at, I'm guessing thats empty as I've heard people say these eccos have low flow.

I know people like to oversize their filters, how to know if its too much besides substrate flying everywhere.

I'll have some sort of lily pipes (not purchased yet), would I need to restrict the outflow with the valves? Maybe buy spin lily pipes?
You will likely have to throttle it down but it will work. I had the same filter on my 6 gallon for a test and it worked. That has a lot of stems and things to be pushed around. Anything tall will get pushed around if you outflow is in back. If you put it in front (more intrusive), shouldn't be a big deal.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #17
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,401
Default

That's one of the reasons I went with a fluval 106 instead of an eheim classic can. I have the ability to throttle it down without risk of prematurely burning out the motor. Plus, the self priming is great. I just bought the clear vinyl hosing from home depot to work with my 13mm cal aqua pipes.

Get the 106 dude...it's a great filter!
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #18
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default Psiorian's 60F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
That's one of the reasons I went with a fluval 106 instead of an eheim classic can. I have the ability to throttle it down without risk of prematurely burning out the motor. Plus, the self priming is great. I just bought the clear vinyl hosing from home depot to work with my 13mm cal aqua pipes.

Get the 106 dude...it's a great filter!
The Ecco was cheap! Like 30! I couldn't resist. The 106 actually slows down the motor? Not by restricting flow? If I could have bought the 106 for that price I would have.

Ill throttle this one and if the motor burns then I'll try a fluval
__________________
[60F]
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #19
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
You will likely have to throttle it down but it will work. I had the same filter on my 6 gallon for a test and it worked. That has a lot of stems and things to be pushed around. Anything tall will get pushed around if you outflow is in back. If you put it in front (more intrusive), shouldn't be a big deal.
Awesome that's good info hopefully I have good results like you. Which outflow did you use?
__________________
[60F]
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #20
keats
Planted Member
 
keats's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 293
Default

You could try some of the ADA sands. They have some neat colors that would work well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
__________________
keats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #21
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
The Ecco was cheap! Like 30! I couldn't resist. The 106 actually slows down the motor? Not by restricting flow? If I could have bought the 106 for that price I would have.

Ill throttle this one and if the motor burns then I'll try a fluval
Dang...can't beat that price. Was it new?

I'm not sure what the mechanism is to reduce the flow in the fluval but about 2 years ago when I was researching it, I emailed fluval (Hagen) and they assured me there is no reduction in longevity by throttling down. Whereas the eheims are not designed to be throttled down. I recall reading in some threads about using the quick disconnect valves to throttle down but eheim recommends against it citing extra wear on the motor. These were classic cans, so not sure about the ecco line.

Edit:
After digging around a bit, I guess you can restrict the flow a tad on the outflow. Never had an eheim so that's new to me...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=156828
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #22
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Dang...can't beat that price. Was it new?

I'm not sure what the mechanism is to reduce the flow in the fluval but about 2 years ago when I was researching it, I emailed fluval (Hagen) and they assured me there is no reduction in longevity by throttling down. Whereas the eheims are not designed to be throttled down. I recall reading in some threads about using the quick disconnect valves to throttle down but eheim recommends against it citing extra wear on the motor. These were classic cans, so not sure about the ecco line.

Edit:
After digging around a bit, I guess you can restrict the flow a tad on the outflow. Never had an eheim so that's new to me...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=156828
Wow thanks for that post good read.

It was used from rocksmom's moving sale.
__________________
[60F]
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #23
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,345
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Awesome that's good info hopefully I have good results like you. Which outflow did you use?
Stock Eheim. I did not use it long term as I couldn't fit it under the "stand" I use for the 6 gallon. As far as I have been told, throttling down an Eheim or any magdrive motor shouldn't hurt it.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #24
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Well since I need to throttle down flow and that's what the spin is for I got one from chronados before he restocks so when it comes in Ill see how it works.

Still need to find a short inflow as GLA is out of the short ones for now.

Still got a while. I will most likely dry start to at least let things get rooted.
__________________
[60F]
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,184
Default

Most Eheims come with adjustable flow, including classics. If the manufacturer put that feature in, then a) improbable to do anything bad to the mag drive b) they had a reason. If it is rated for 160 gph, you *might* get 80 in practice. Things get dirty and clogged up, reducing the flow rather quickly. Your plants grow, get trimmed, moved around, replaced - your flow needs will fluctuate.

IME, turning the flow down is much easier then up. Think about it.

v3
__________________
Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #26
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Been busy as I thought one of my other tanks was leaking but it was those J thermometers siphoning water out of my tank. I emptied the tank and leak tested it and everything was fine. Nevertheless I redid it and moved it to a better location.

Thanks for all the comments on the filter.

Some things that happened since the last update:

I swapped my friend for a 2232 as the 2234 was too tall to fit in the cabinet I had planned.

I got the mini spin lily pipe in, its really small. I have no idea how this flow pattern is going to go, I'll have to test it later. Still no inflow though, waiting on cal aqua pipes from GLA.

I put a black background on the tank.

I also got the current SAT+ as my light. I've been wanting to try this light and all the neat dynamic lighting features and man its amazing! Suspended the light using those zoomed light hangers.

I also added the white sand. My plastic flexible cutting board substrate dividers are coming in the mail still. After they are in place the planting can begin.

Here is a picture of what it looks like now.



Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #27
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,401
Default

Great job on the initial setup with the lights and background... looking good, Jon!
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #28
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: California
Posts: 356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Great job on the initial setup with the lights and background... looking good, Jon!
Thanks for all the advice as well Really helped it come along.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #29
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,745
Default

Yeah, it is looking sharp.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #30
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,345
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Looking good. That background looks really good as well. Like where this is going.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012