The long awaited 60P journey.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

The long awaited 60P journey.

TPT,

Good planting out in the aquatic world LOL. Anyways, ANYONE that knows me on here, knows that I have had a 60P and 90P sitting around collecting dust.

With a better note though, I have decided to start step one; making a thread.

I will go into this journey by taking my time by pre-planning and learning from my mistakes from my 10 gallon thread. If you haven't check it out, you should. Just click the link below .

This 60P will be replacing my current ten gallon in hopes to have another awesome tank like the others have been. With all the words above you probably just did this: TLDR------Below is the journey of my 60P.

Here are the particulars:

Tank+Stand:
  • ADA 60-P (17g = 24in X 12in X 14in)
  • ADA Mat
  • Stand is still undecided but might make my own.
Lighting:
  • Undecided/ need help but may go with the Planted+ or RayII
Filtration:
  • Eheim 2215 Canister with ADA glassware
Substrate:
  • Bag of Lava Rock from Lowes
  • Bags of ADA Amazonian II
  • Sand (possibly Caribsea supernaturals 'white' sand)
Hardscape:
  • Seiryu Stone from one of my good friends on here; Thanks, you know who you are
Plants: (subject to change)
  • HC
  • HM
  • Staurogeune Repens
  • DHG
  • Hydrocolate Japan
Fauna:
  • TBD
CO2 / Ferts:
  • PPS-Pro "dry ferts" from GLA
  • Milwaukie Reg with 5 lb CO2 bottle with the ADA Ruby and 300 Beetle.
  • Excel/ Glut (occasional)
Now my favorite and of course yours!

The PICTURES!!!

Marked out the size of the 60P in the 90P to "play in the sand lol"

As of now what I am imagining BUT wouldn't mind to do a full size iwagumi style tank.... (IF I GET YOUR HELP )

Just in case you still cant imagine what I am trying to achieve; here is some one else's tank that I am going for in a similar way but with maybe a more contrast of plants ....

Would also consider this route:

Any help is appreciated and will be taken seriously and thought about in high regards... help me help this tank look AMAZING!

Last edited by parrottbay; 02-11-2014 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Added more options
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #2
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Awesome! Been waiting for this a while, haha. I like inspiration #1 the best, when I get home, I can send you a sketch to your contour.
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Heck yeah! I've been waiting for this to launch already, too. Glad to see you got the ball rolling with this. I like the plan so far... very natural looking inspirational examples. If you find a happy medium between them, you'll have a winner on your hands. Nice and GREEN!

What species of DHG are you thinking about in the back right?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

That's going to be nice! Are y'all safe and sound out there in Jacksonville with all this snow and ice?
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #5
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Awesome! Been waiting for this a while, haha. I like inspiration #1 the best, when I get home, I can send you a sketch to your contour.
Bserve, I am definitely done to see what you have installed for me haha Thanks I liked it a lot, also but I have no clue where the original pic came from.

I originally got this set-up for a nice Iwagumi theme though and that is why I did the Pico tank to help grow out some HC for this tank and have a little happiness waiting on the 60P.

^So with that being said I can pull the rocks from the 3 gallon to make this a better scape...
Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Heck yeah! I've been waiting for this to launch already, too. Glad to see you got the ball rolling with this. I like the plan so far... very natural looking inspirational examples. If you find a happy medium between them, you'll have a winner on your hands. Nice and GREEN!

What species of DHG are you thinking about in the back right?
Thanks Brian, your tanks have always been inspiration to myself and of course, others.

Trying to find that happy medium without it looking like I just dropped a handful of rocks and plants in there and called it a day LOL. I was wanting something simple and then I ended up with a countless number of plants in the idea. I might drop down a few or trade the HM baby tears for Giant hair grass;Giant Hair Grass; Elocharis Montevidensis; to make a better transition on the eyes...

As for the regular DHG I would just use the stuff from my 10 gallon thread, which is Eleocharis parvula.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Phil,

Thanks for the concerns, some areas have 8" of snow last night and everything is frozen. Being a Marine, the bases are shut down also. When this happens, my wife and I refuse to leave the house

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
That's going to be nice! Are y'all safe and sound out there in Jacksonville with all this snow and ice?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #8
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Thanks Brian, your tanks have always been inspiration to myself and of course, others.

Trying to find that happy medium without it looking like I just dropped a handful of rocks and plants in there and called it a day LOL. I was wanting something simple and then I ended up with a countless number of plants in the idea. I might drop down a few or trade the HM baby tears for Giant hair grass;Giant Hair Grass; Elocharis Montevidensis; to make a better transition on the eyes...

As for the regular DHG I would just use the stuff from my 10 gallon thread, which is Eleocharis parvula.
Sounds like a good plan. You got this, man! I'm sure it's going to look superb! You have all the tools at your disposal.

BTW, which light are you leaning more towards? The Planted+ or Ray 2?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

equipment envy. enough said.. haha
excited for you for this setup. i like the look of the 1st setup you're shooting for.
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #10
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnod View Post
equipment envy. enough said.. haha
excited for you for this setup. i like the look of the 1st setup you're shooting for.
Thanks gnod, I took the plunge after I got back from Afghan and boom all my money into this tank and still didn't get everything I would want to include lights lol... Broke
Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #11
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Sounds like a good plan. You got this, man! I'm sure it's going to look superb! You have all the tools at your disposal.

BTW, which light are you leaning more towards? The Planted+ or Ray 2?
Brian,

Which ever one is cheaper lol jk. Not sure, any suggestions? I was waiting for the planted plus but I hate that the par isn't as strong as the ready II. But no one really has used the planted plus on an Ada tank yet.

Btw thanks for the confidence boost
Old 02-13-2014, 06:30 AM   #12
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Brian,

Which ever one is cheaper lol jk. Not sure, any suggestions? I was waiting for the planted plus but I hate that the par isn't as strong as the ready II. But no one really has used the planted plus on an Ada tank yet.

Btw thanks for the confidence boost

Use the Marineland 24-36" Aquatic Plant LED. More powerful and a better spectrum than an Aquasky.
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 PM   #13
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Use the Marineland 24-36" Aquatic Plant LED. More powerful and a better spectrum than an Aquasky.
B, I will definitely look into that. Never saw this being used, at least, I don't think I have.

Something I made at work today.... It is a test subject before I make the longer ones with 45 degree to the canister like the others I have saw made. I just need to find a decent way to make the intake. If I had the blue prints, I am pretty sure I would be able to make it since I am an aircraft mech; sheet metal type; tig welder, and have a few buddies that work in my division that operate some new CNC Lathe and Milling machines.... I should be able to make ANYTHING out of metal or composites.

Tags
60p, ada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.