Psiorian's 60F
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Psiorian's 60F

So, I’ve been lurking on the forums for a while, and I’ve seen my fair share of journals (maybe too many, its all I do at work). Since you guys helped me pick my tank, I decided it is only fitting to do a journal about it.

Disclaimer I’m still relatively new at this so any suggestions are welcome.

Specs:
Tank: ADA-60F
Lighting: Current Freshwater LED+
Filter: Eheim Ecco 2232, Cal Aqua X1s Inflow.
Substrate: ADA Amazonia
Hardscape: Seiryu Stones

So I’m trying out the layout now. I want to do like a white sand beach sort of scape down a valley.

I've been messing with rock placement for now. There will be white sand where there is no substrate currently (please excuse the bad pictures and the funky lighting):

Top View:

Front View:

I'm liking the right side of the scape. Close up of the Right Side

I’m not sold on the left side I have two options what is in the front view above or the picture below. Alternate Left Side 2:

Things will be easier to see without those fruit loop cardboard in the way an the sand in. Any suggestions on the initial hardscape?

I am trying to debate between HC and UG for the foreground. Do you guys think if I do one side with HC and one side with UG that would look weird? Any opinions on what I should do for the foreground?

I'm going to look for sand tomorrow and get some substrate dividers to keep the substrate out of the sand and foreground plants from mixing.

Last edited by Psiorian; 11-05-2013 at 07:27 AM.. Reason: Update Equipment
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Nice stones you picked there. I would skip the sand path idea if it was my tank, just becomes a mess and is overdone imo. If you want to do ug and hc you could go with ug on the sides and back and hc in the middle for your "path".
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
Nice stones you picked there. I would skip the sand path idea if it was my tank, just becomes a mess and is overdone imo. If you want to do ug and hc you could go with ug on the sides and back and hc in the middle for your "path".
You've done the sand path before? Does it require a lot of maintenance?

I bought this tank just to do a sand theme :P

Maybe if I don't use too white sand? Maybe white mixed with black to create a gray look so it wont be too bad if it mixes a little with the aquasoil.

The HC path is also a good idea. I'll have to think about this one some more.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looks good so far. I really like the right side but I think the two bigger rocks should be slightly further apart since they are very similar in shape. I like the second version of the left side as well.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Congrats on the new acquisition! Great start so far. I guess the AFA SCAPE meet couldn't wait? LOL

Anyways... I say if you like the sand go for it. You're the one that's going to be looking at it on the daily. I'm not going to lie, it does require more work to keep it tidy. But it's a labor of love. I personally still like a little sand, it adds character IMO.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I certainly like the right side - a winner. Left, um, maybe also try to angle the rocks a la right side? The shape of the path: blunt up the top corner a bit, the needle tip looks a bit unnatural to me, or plant something at the very top.

Light sand and AS is a PITA, but I love the look.

v3
Old 10-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Looks good so far. I really like the right side but I think the two bigger rocks should be slightly further apart since they are very similar in shape. I like the second version of the left side as well.
Thanks. I'll move them and take some more pictures to see how that looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition! Great start so far. I guess the AFA SCAPE meet couldn't wait? LOL

Anyways... I say if you like the sand go for it. You're the one that's going to be looking at it on the daily. I'm not going to lie, it does require more work to keep it tidy. But it's a labor of love. I personally still like a little sand, it adds character IMO.
I figure during the SCAPE meet I can buy something else :P You can always buy something else from there, especially if there is a sale. I found the rocks at the bonsai place across the street for half the price AFA was selling them for, same stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I certainly like the right side - a winner. Left, um, maybe also try to angle the rocks a la right side? The shape of the path: blunt up the top corner a bit, the needle tip looks a bit unnatural to me, or plant something at the very top.

Light sand and AS is a PITA, but I love the look.

v3
Yea the path is supposed to be blunted as is the front two corners, my cereal box supports didn't hold up as well as I wanted, but I didn't want them to be too firmly in place as I need to remove them with the sand in. Planting something at the top also sounds interesting, what did you have in mind for that?

I guess I'll still give the sand a go, see if I can handle it.

I have some more rocks as well so I'll do more work on the left side.

Any thoughts on the foreground plant? HC vs UG? Could I do both without looking unnatural?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

I personally like UG, only because it's the newer trend and not as readily available. However, if you haven't done HC and have an urge to have the best of both worlds, why not! Go for it... you can always make changes after if you don't like the results.

Here's a tank shot I saved in my folder of "inspirations"... there's a combo of HC and UG executed well IMO.

On a side note... anyone know how this like river/stream was achieved underwater like that? Looks like some type of resin or something.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Planting something at the top also sounds interesting, what did you have in mind for that?
The path seems to peak/end right center.

If you want the illusion of depth, something shorter then on the sides and front, which is a challange. Maybe S. repens, hydrocolite Japan, a single blyxa. Blah, me not liking those choices. For a focal point, a single AR mini. Dearf water lily might work. E. tropica aka Rosette sword. Gee

v3
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #10
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Congrats on the new setup! I love the 60F and hope to try one some day.

I really like the setup so far and I think there's been a lot of good suggestions. You might want to consider either adding some more substrate behind the rock closest to the back wall on the left or moving it slightly away from the rear glass to allow access for planting behind it.

It might also be worth mentioning that the rock on the left front, if placed with a large flat side facing up near the tank center has a good chance of growing algae unless moss or similar covers the surface, at least its what I've noticed in my tank.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I personally like UG, only because it's the newer trend and not as readily available. However, if you haven't done HC and have an urge to have the best of both worlds, why not! Go for it... you can always make changes after if you don't like the results.

Here's a tank shot I saved in my folder of "inspirations"... there's a combo of HC and UG executed well IMO.

On a side note... anyone know how this like river/stream was achieved underwater like that? Looks like some type of resin or something.
Awesome thanks, I saved it as well and I'll see if it'll work with the scape however it turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
The path seems to peak/end right center.

If you want the illusion of depth, something shorter then on the sides and front, which is a challange. Maybe S. repens, hydrocolite Japan, a single blyxa. Blah, me not liking those choices. For a focal point, a single AR mini. Dearf water lily might work. E. tropica aka Rosette sword. Gee

v3
Thanks for the suggestions, it looks like it might be better to just not make it pointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
Congrats on the new setup! I love the 60F and hope to try one some day.

I really like the setup so far and I think there's been a lot of good suggestions. You might want to consider either adding some more substrate behind the rock closest to the back wall on the left or moving it slightly away from the rear glass to allow access for planting behind it.
You should get one! They are nice tanks.

Thats a great point! This is something I would have thought of after filling partially and started to plant aand would be lazy to move it by that point. I'll do something about that. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
It might also be worth mentioning that the rock on the left front, if placed with a large flat side facing up near the tank center has a good chance of growing algae unless moss or similar covers the surface, at least its what I've noticed in my tank.
I'm still thinking of what I want it to look like planted, so I'll have to see if I'm going to add moss or not. If not I'll change the orientation of the rock.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #12
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Psiorian's 60F

So I moved some rocks around added a black background, and moved the barriers and I got this.

(Phone pictures but I was lazy to use the better camera.)

I had to change the right side a bit to balance the left side this is what it looks like now.

This is the left side. I feel better about it now.

Top view.

It doesn't come to a point but the barriers are drooping so it appears it is.

What do you guys think now? Or did you like the old layout better?

Will even out the substrate once I find some sand. For some reason wherever I go is out or only has huge bags. Going to check a couple more places tomorrow.

White sand or light tan sand? Will pure white look too unnatural?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #13
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

I'd go with the tan sand for a more natural look.

Maybe the stone in the front right should be pushed back some so that you'd have more open space for a foreground carpet. Just a suggestion. otherwise, I think everything looks fine.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I'd go with the tan sand for a more natural look.

Maybe the stone in the front right should be pushed back some so that you'd have more open space for a foreground carpet. Just a suggestion. otherwise, I think everything looks fine.
Thanks, I'll move the stone back. I was hoping you'd respond cause I know you have white and tan
Old 10-25-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a Eheim Ecco 2234 filter sitting around, do you guys think that would be too much flow for this tank? 145gph is what its rated at, I'm guessing thats empty as I've heard people say these eccos have low flow.

I know people like to oversize their filters, how to know if its too much besides substrate flying everywhere.

I'll have some sort of lily pipes (not purchased yet), would I need to restrict the outflow with the valves? Maybe buy spin lily pipes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.