Bobby's Fish in Fort Collins
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 04-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Simkie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Bobby's Fish in Fort Collins

I don't think most people know about this new shop in Fort Collins--I know I sure didn't. It's in a weird part of town and is in a building that looks like a mini-warehouse. I had to pick something up on that end of town, so I decided to stop in and see what they offered.

I'm really glad I did! They have the most impressive selection of cichlids I've EVER seen locally. It's obviously their specialty, and they have fry sized up to full sized. They also have a good selection of other freshwater fish, and good prices--I was able to pick up a half dozen NICE threadfin rainbows for $5.50/each. Denizens has a couple threadfins, but they look bad and they're asking $15 (or $16? Some rediculous price!)

They had a couple token plants that didn't look so hot, and a small selection of dry goods. Their fish really blew me away though. The guy who worked there was friendly and seemed really happy to have a customer.

Here's their phone and address:

Bobby's Fish
1414 Webster Ave
Fort Collins, CO 80524

They have weird hours (they opened at noon today) so call before you go...but do go! It's a neat place, and I hope they get enough business to stick around.
Simkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Grendel
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Bobby's has been in that location for at least four years - I have no idea about their history before that, but that was the first time I visited. I've only dropped in a few times since. Their wierd hours and location are what keeps me from stopping by regularly... And yes, their selection of cichlids is very nice.

I may be wrong, but I think they also do aquarium set-up and maintenance, which may help explain how they're getting along in that corner of town.

G

www.taghillcards.com
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #3
spdskr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I recall seeing them in the phone book over 4 years ago when I lived in the Fort, but I never made it to their store due to the location.
Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss
spdskr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Simkie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm surprised--I had NO idea that they were there! I guess I shouldn't worry about not enough foot traffic causing them to go belly-up. They do say their weird hours are due to their aquarium maintenance business.

My threadfins are all settled in and are displaying to each other like mad. They have great color.
Simkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
btroutner
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The threadfins at Denizens retail for 12.98 and generally they are better looking than the few that are in there right now... The ones that are left are females and those are not as nice as the males.

As for Bobby's I've had mixed feelings about the place. Couple times I've been in there and been ignored, yes the fish selection is decent, but I generally have not been impressed with the customer service there.
btroutner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #6
turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by btroutner View Post
The threadfins at Denizens retail for 12.98 and generally they are better looking than the few that are in there right now... The ones that are left are females and those are not as nice as the males.

As for Bobby's I've had mixed feelings about the place. Couple times I've been in there and been ignored, yes the fish selection is decent, but I generally have not been impressed with the customer service there.
I'm cautious as I'm not sure how to say this without sounding rude, so please don't take it that way.

Sincerely, I completely stopped going to Denizens, and tell everyone I know not to go there due to their horrible customer service. I was stunned to see a post recommending them (indirectly) yet questioning Bobby's service. It just shows that merchants need to treat everyone well. Perhaps I should give Denizen's another shot? I had several bad experiences, the last one worse than ANY other shop (pet supply or non).
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
spdskr
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Turbo,

Welcome to the forums! It is nice to have new local Planted Tank people . I wanted to reply to your experiences at Denizens of the Deep. Even in the store's prime, which I'm sorry to say was about 7 years ago, they were not always known for their phenominal customer service. In fact when a friend of mine first got into aquariums and shopped there frequently, he referred to one of the staff as the fish Nazi. Since then they have gone through management changes more than once and now the quality of their fish and plants is sometimes questionable too (although still good compared to most stores in CO). If you are into planted tanks and need a local outlet for plants and supplies, there really aren't too many choices in Northern Colorado. If, on the other hand, if you just want to pick up some new common fish or food, you can probably get satisfactory service at several other shops in Ft Collins. Again, welcome aboard.
Eheim Pimp #181

29g High-tech jungle
5.5g Low-tech jungle
2.5g x 2 Low-tech shrimp and moss
spdskr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
turbo

Default WARM welcomes!

Thanks for the warm greetings!

I've had aquariums in my home since I was 12 years old (and that was only a few-20 some-years ago). Everything I know about them I have learned by trial and error. So, I know what works for me, but I'm afraid I don't know much 'book-smart' stuff about them. For example, what is a 'planted tank'? I can presume it means live plants, but that's a wild guess... lol

I'm happy to report that we have hooked my brother up with his first tank in 20 years-a rough 55 gallon. It'll be fun to get it started for him. He needs a new filter, and I wanted to look into one with a bio-wheel. (Is my lingo too technical?) :P Any recommendations?
turbo is offline   Reply With Quote