New Rili came with...deflated eggs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Rili came with...deflated eggs?

Hello all,
I just received 5 Red Rili today from buying at Yahoo Auctions and one of them seemed to be berried, upon closer inspection it doesn't look quite right.

The 'stuff' is light yellow-green, like rili eggs, but they aren't spherical but deflated, almost like little seeds or twigs, and they are under her belly where eggs should be but some are spilling out.

I have seen my Neocaridina Wild type carry brown eggs once that she dropped over the course of a day, and I assume they were infertile or messed up for some reason as they were small, hard and oblong.
I am having the devil's own time getting a photo of this Rili as I quickly took her out of the community tank and put her in a tupperware where she's zooming around the perimeter.

I know it's impossible to see but I did want to show the color of it at least. They are bright yellow/green and I will try to get a better photo asap. I don't know if these little seed-like yellow dots are indicative of any known disease or if it's more likely that she just has eggs that didn't work out, but I was worried it would be something contagious.

Any advice?
Sakurajelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

I got another couple of images.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

it could be a parasite and not eggs. i think i remember some one else posting a while back about something like this and i believe it was a type of parasite. i could be wrong though. i would search the invert forum and see i you can find it
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
it could be a parasite and not eggs. i think i remember some one else posting a while back about something like this and i believe it was a type of parasite. i could be wrong though. i would search the invert forum and see i you can find it
Thank you for the quick reply, I'm glad I took her out of the community tank within minutes and left her in isolation then while I'm at work. I will try giving her a salt dip tonight and see if it clears up. Her energy has been very good and I didn't see this yellow-green stuff on any of the others.
It does look "parasitey", almost like clusters of little threads or like a puff of moss on her underside. I'll post updates and search once I get home.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

if its puffy it could be fungal.
i have never medicated shrimp, but i know its not easy. id put here in a separately enclosed water circuit if you didnt already (like not just a hang-on container that shares water with the shrimp tank). you dont want whatever it is spreading.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

The Rili is still alive in her little tupperware and was sleeping upside down on the java moss like so.

The majority of the "stuff" is just behind her back legs, at the base of her tail, and there are a few other clusters on different sections of her tail. I mixed up a bit of salt water and let her soak in it a few minutes, then decreased salinity with tank water, but the 'stuff' didn't seem to fall off or change in any way. She is also active and swimming normally.

Anybody have more advice? I don't really want to kill this shrimp if I don't have to. :c
Old 10-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
if its puffy it could be fungal.
i have never medicated shrimp, but i know its not easy. id put here in a separately enclosed water circuit if you didnt already (like not just a hang-on container that shares water with the shrimp tank). you dont want whatever it is spreading.
I have her totally isolated in a little container. I have been checking to see if any of the stuff fell off or changed, but it looks the same. It almost looks like sprouts, but they are SO small it's very difficult to even see what's going. If I had a magnifying glass it might be easier to identify whether its a parasite or what.
From what I can see it looks like yellow-green tufts of grass or little hairs sticking to her swimmerettes, and under her tail, and nowhere else. If it's parasites why hasn't she been able to just brush them off with her legs?

[ETA] I found a thread that looks like exactly what I'm seeing, only mine is on a smaller scale:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=parasites
Unfortunately there is no satisfactory answer on that thread.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

May be Vorticella . Salt dip may help cure it.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

the unfortunate thing with most parasites is that they are much more closely related to shrimp than to fish. so when on a fish it is easy to find a compound that selectively kills the parasite, without harming the fish (CuSO4 for example). but the shrimp and many parasites seem similarly resistant to many toxins.
i know when i used levamisole to treat a nematode infestation, half my amanos in the tank died.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #10
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

I gave a salt dip last night and again this morning, keeping the shrimp in total isolation from the community tank. I looked carefully at the community tank this morning but I don't see any other shrimp with this possible parasite, they all look completely clean.

Unfortunately the salt baths haven't seemed to make any difference. The shrimp is still alive but looks unhappy.

The shrimp in the main tank are all grazing, swimming and behaving well.

I also emailed the seller and his reply was basically "Well I'm sure it's not a disease like you showed me on that forum post, it might be a piece of moss or something. I don't think it's a threat to the other shrimp and you don't need any medication."
So I guess he won't be any help.

Perhaps I should just cull this shrimp and be done with it? :/
Old 10-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Maybe it was previously berried but just lost some eggs?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #12
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

You may need a stronger salt dip:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=146903&page=2 Look at post 29 and 30, 33 and 34

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...940#post694940
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 AM   #13
HSA1255
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Would you be willing to try some natural remedy methods before culling her? I saved a fish from an awful fungal infection years ago by quarantining him and then picking him up and using coconut oil with a drop of oil of oregano on his wounds. I literally spread it on the fish then put him back in the water. He was a cichlid and he had been fighting this for a long time and was surely going to die so I just figured I'd try to use some of my essential oils. If you mix a strong oil (like oregano) with a safe base oil/carrier oil (like organic coconut) they do not burn your skin, so I figured it may cause less harm to the fish (gills and skin which was exposed).

Fungus is all over the place, and it's crazy that infections occur when fungus happens to get into a cut or even a tiny scrape. I've read fungus can affect fish when they stress and lose their slimy film. That fish I saved is still alive today with crazy scarring from where his injuries had progress into the muscle, but he healed and is living the good life at a local fish store in their main display tank. I have heard colloidal silver can be used with fish, it may be worth a try before culling her. Also, tea tree oil has been used by some aquarists and that what melafix contains.

I am not sure with shrimp if the oil directly in the water would be best, but seeing how she is in a tupperware I'd use @ 15-20 drops of carrier oil (like coconut) to 1-2 drops of treatment oil, mix and dip q-tip, net the shrimp and swab gently in the direction that the swimmerets naturally fold, then put her back in her tupperware. Maybe the colloidal silver method would be easier to simply add to the water in the small container she's in... you'd have to google how people treat with that. It is sold at most vitamin/supplement stores. Anyhow, I know it was not the norm to do what I did with that fish, but meds were not working and I hated to see him suffer. I hope some of this info gives you ideas to research or look into further.
HSA1255 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #14
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
I mixed up aquarium salt in a container to a salinity of about 18 PPT. I will try 2TB to a single cup of water though!
I had the "white fuzzies" a few weeks ago on a few shrimp and did a salt dip which worked IMMEDIATELY at an unknown concentration, so I was a bit disappointed that this "green fuzzy" is not working out nearly as well. :/ But I will mix up that 2TB in a cup right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSA1255 View Post
Would you be willing to try some natural remedy methods before culling her? I saved a fish from an awful fungal infection years ago by quarantining him and then picking him up and using coconut oil with a drop of oil of oregano on his wounds. I literally spread it on the fish then put him back in the water. He was a cichlid and he had been fighting this for a long time and was surely going to die so I just figured I'd try to use some of my essential oils. If you mix a strong oil (like oregano) with a safe base oil/carrier oil (like organic coconut) they do not burn your skin, so I figured it may cause less harm to the fish (gills and skin which was exposed).

Fungus is all over the place, and it's crazy that infections occur when fungus happens to get into a cut or even a tiny scrape. I've read fungus can affect fish when they stress and lose their slimy film. That fish I saved is still alive today with crazy scarring from where his injuries had progress into the muscle, but he healed and is living the good life at a local fish store in their main display tank. I have heard colloidal silver can be used with fish, it may be worth a try before culling her. Also, tea tree oil has been used by some aquarists and that what melafix contains.
I would be willing to try that, though it may be hard to find those things where I live, and may have to order online. The LFS up the street is the biggest in my city but they had never heard of Seachem or Paraguard, even though he looked through the catalogs they had under the counter.

I'll search Rakuten or Yahoo Auctions and see if I can get oregano and coconut oils. Thanks everybody

[ETA]: Searches online are bringing up oregano at 3500(capsules) yen -5700 (15 ml bottle of liquid) yen and coconut at 1050 for a 50ml bottle. jesus. :c That's pre-shipping!
(5700 yen is $58 USD)
Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #15
Sakurajelly
Algae Grower

I tried the much stronger salt dip and left her in there for about 45 seconds. There seemed to be no change to the green stuff during or after the dip. She's back in the container resting now (pretty mad at me, it seems) so I suppose I'll try it again tonight after I get home from work.

Tags
disease, rili, rili shrimp, shrimp eggs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.