Solenoid for CO2 Regulator
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Solenoid for CO2 Regulator

What solenoid is suitable for use with co2 regulator for our application if I am going to build 1? Anything I should look for in particular? For Ex. Is this item# 121007662356 from e bay works? Thanks.
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Humm! Seems to be a lot of silence on this .

I don't know that solenoid so I will only give you my guess. Not seeing folks mention it and looking at the nice price, I'm guessing it to be a problem that doesn't work. One item that many solenoids run into is the way we use them. It is not the norm for solenoids to pull up and stay for 8-10 hours like we often use them. This long duty cycle often causes them to overheat. Heat often becomes a problem as internal parts overheat, swell and stick. Sometimes the heat burns up the lube to make it stick.
There are some that are really used and recommended but they come at a pretty high price sometimes. If you can find one on E-bay you might get a bargain but then you do really have to know what to look for. Burkett 6011 is one I often see talked about but I have never used one.
My choice for E-bay shopping is the Clippard mouse (ET,EV, or EC) You will likely need to go to the Clippard catalog online and study the way they do their model numbering.
I like any of the three ET,EV, or EC but in 2 port and 12Volts. E_-2-12 but do some study before jumping and expect to wait for one to come up. My preference for this one is that it has super low power (50-60 milliamp) which creates virtually no heat and can be run with lots of the small power supplies left from phones and other electronics. The low power lets me run tiny wires across under my stand rather than standard 110 AC cords. It also uses 10-32 port fittings which can be a problem for some. Just personal preference on that.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
exv152
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
...Not seeing folks mention it and looking at the nice price, I'm guessing it to be a problem that doesn't work. One item that many solenoids run into is the way we use them. It is not the norm for solenoids to pull up and stay for 8-10 hours like we often use them. This long duty cycle often causes them to overheat. Heat often becomes a problem as internal parts overheat, swell and stick. Sometimes the heat burns up the lube to make it stick.
+2 on the above. In addition, I noticed the solenoid runs on 6 watts of power, meaning it's gonna get really hot to the touch. Meaning higher likelihood of failure down the road ime.
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Thanks all.
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.