Safe t sorb
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Safe t sorb

Anyone had any problems with Cory's wearing down there barbs with sts as a substrate ?

Old 10-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

nope. I have this substrate with a variety of cories, sterbai, green emerald, pygmy, hasbrosus, and albino
Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
nope. I have this substrate with a variety of cories, sterbai, green emerald, pygmy, hasbrosus, and albino
Alright cool. It doesn't seem rough but I've always only used sand so I have an array of cories and wanna transfer what I believe is a male and female sterbia in this tank once it's full and cycled
Old 10-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #4
sadchevy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

STS is great for cories and plants. I use it in my 125g and my 75g. Am planning on changing out my 55g this weekend. Only downfall is STS will lower you Kh to almost none. Plants don't mind it, fish don't mind, but snails and shrimp might not like it.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchevy View Post
STS is great for cories and plants. I use it in my 125g and my 75g. Am planning on changing out my 55g this weekend. Only downfall is STS will lower you Kh to almost none. Plants don't mind it, fish don't mind, but snails and shrimp might not like it.
Good to know, I have a very very low kh to begin with.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Since it (and related products) remove the KH, this allows the pH to drop into the acidic range which is very hard on snail shells.
MTS in these tanks are missing the very sharp tip.
Ramshorns shells erode.
Don't know about pond snails, my Loaches eat them pretty fast.

When I correct the KH (coral sand blended with the substrate, add baking soda to the water as needed) the snails are just fine.

STS and related materials are not removing the calcium from the water (GH stays stable) so it is not the lack of Ca, it is the acidic water causing this.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #7
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

So I could add baking soda to bring the kh up? I just dumped probally 20 mts snails I. The tank today to help aerate the soil.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I would set the GH to suit the fish. Some Cories are soft water fish, prefering a GH that is fairly low, say under about 5 degrees. The hardiest Cories do not seem to care what the GH is. Hard water is OK with them.
Then monitor the KH and set it about equal to the GH. This is because in nature most of the GH and KH in the water is from dissolved calcium and magnesium carbonates. So the GH and KH in natural water is often more or less equal.

With Safe-T-Sorb you will have to keep a close eye on the KH and probably add something to offset the removal of the carbonates.
I used baking soda to do this.
1 teaspoon of baking soda added to 30 gallons of water raised the KH by 2 german degrees of hardness. When the pH was off the chart low (under 6.0) the pH would come up to 6.2.
I would set the GH and KH right when I did a water change, then about once a week, a few days after the water change, I would add a little baking soda. Since I was not adding much (KH change of only 2 degrees) the fish were just fine with this.

Another way to do this is to add coral sand, oyster shell grit or limestone sand to the filter. I use a nylon stocking. These materials will raise the GH and KH. They do this slowly. Not a substitute for making the water right when you do a water change, but might be enough to keep it stable through the week.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Both my tap gh and kh are very low. I think the gh is 3 or 4 and the kh registered around the same.