New 60G planted...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
achu
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New 60G planted...

After 10+ years with a 3-foot 50 gallon tank, the wife and I decided to "upgrade" to a 4-foot 60 gallon tank. We recycled some of the equipments from the old tank (such as CO2 regulator, substrate, heater, etc). We are still cycling the tank without many fishes. Below is the tank as of today. The "7-Up" look is actually from the pearling oxygen instead of CO2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank - 2013-11-20.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	237281

Tank
- 60G 48"x15"x18"
- Matching stand and canopy.
- Substrate is recycled from previous tank (plus some new Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate).

Lighting
- 2 x 18" MakersLED heat sinks
- 30 Cree XM-E White total (24 cool + 6 warm)
- 2 x MakersLED Driver
- 1 x MakersLED Controller
- 180W DC power supply

Filtration & Misc.
- Eheim Professional 3 (2073)
- 10 lb CO2 tank w/ regulator (recycled from previous setup)
- ISTA CO2 Reactor Large

Plants
- Narrow leaf chain sword
- Micro sword
- Dwarf Baby Tears
- Lutea
- Various Cabomba
- Various Ludwigia
- Various Rotala
- And a bunch of unknown stem plants.

Here are some more pictures:
Left side with some logs and petrified wood.

Name:	Tank - 2013-11-20-Left.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	237289

Right side.

Name:	Tank - 2013-11-20-Right.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	237297

MakersLED (two 18" heat sinks)

Name:	Light LED.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	237305

CO2 tank+Regulator, Eheim 2073, and ISTA CO2 Reactor (hiding behind Eheim):

Name:	CO2 - Ehiem Pro3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	237313

The plants have been growing nicely. Had some hair algae problem about one week into cycling. However, our old Siamese Algae Eater, Red Cherry Shrimps, and Otos took care of them.

Here is how the tank looked about 10 days ago.

Name:	Tank Original.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	237329
achu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
achu
Algae Grower

Couple thoughts on the different equipments. I went thru 2 other canister filters before settling on the Eheim 2073. My first try was API Filstar XP-L. Here is my review at Amazon. Short version of the story is that it leaked within 24 hours. I then went with Cascade 1000. It also leaked. I must be the unluckiest person in terms of getting bad units. After these two experiences, I went with German built Eheim 2073 and it has been trouble free (knock on wood). My advice is to put your canister filter inside a container until you know for sure things will not leak. That saved me on the Cascade 1000 leaking (only about couple quarts, but that still sucked).

I initially was using a
AquaTek CO2 diffuser AquaTek CO2 diffuser
. Unfortunately, for the size of the tank, I couldn't get away with the "7-UP" look in the tank. It is always a swirl of bubbles. I am currently using
ISTA Max CO2 reactor ISTA Max CO2 reactor
. This is also not without problems. The "7-UP" look went away. However, the ISTA reduced the filtration output by a noticeable amount. Also, it is rather loud.

I also went with MakersLED lighting setup due to the ridiculous electric cost in California (over $0.37 per kilowatt!). We were using about 200 watts of compact fluorescent. Going with LED reduced the electrical usage to half (about 90 watts) and gave us the ability to both control light output and also nice sun-rise sun-set effects. The MakersLED heat sink fan is LOUD though. Fortunately their fan is just a standard 92mm computer fan (3-pin plug). I simply replaced it with
Antec adjustable speed fan Antec adjustable speed fan
. With the limited amount of LED, the medium setting is a very good balance in terms of sound and cooling ability. Additional benefit of LED is that it is much cooler than compact fluorescent.
achu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Really Digging the tank!!! Can't wait to see the plants continue to grow in!!! Petrified wood is a favorite in this house! What are your plans for fish?

I feel your pain about getting bad canister filters! Got a Odyssey canister filter, when we bought our house over 6 years ago, from a good friend who owned a LFS. Got it in trade for helping him out with some service calls. It was a filter he bought to try out in the store. Well I got it and the cutoff valves had leaks in the o-ring seal, and I didn't find out till a few days later when the Parkay flooring around the tank started buckling!!! Ruined about a 6' circle of flooring in the new house!!! I was in a bit of trouble to say the least! It went directly into the trash!!!!!

Anyway sorry about the rant! Lesson learned about getting the BEST Equipment you can afford, or waiting till you can save $ to get good stuff!!!

Welcome to the Forum, and Best of Luck with the Good Looking new tank!!!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
manzpants92
Planted Member

Looks amazing! I've always liked the look of the dutch aquariums and i feel like once things grow in for you it'll look similar. Good job