Mr Aqua Triple 90 Tank Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mr Aqua Triple 90 Tank Journal

I received a 12 gallon long Mr Aqua aquarium in a trade this Spring and my aquarium hobby has turned to a mild obsession. This forum and that tank have inspired me for this next big undertaking. I've started two other rimless planted aquariums since and will be planning this one out much more.

Here are a few pics of the first 12 gallon long:

Mr Aqua Triple 90
This will actually involve three Mr Aqua aquariums and two stands. All three aquariums are 90cm long. I am taking a lot of my inspiration from the Natural Aquario line of products.

One stand will have the original 12 gallon long and a second 12 gallon I am picking up from nerdariostomp on here. I will update this portion later on.

The other stand will have a 48 gallon Mr Aqua. Here are the plans so far.

Aquarium

The aquarium I received from petstore.com for an amazing price thanks to a pricing error that they agreed to honor.

The silicon work is superb and for the difference in pricing I am willing to forgo the clarity of the ADA 90p.

Stand

I will be building the stand out of 3/4" hardwood ply. I will be mimicking the Natural Aquario stand significantly. I will be making some alterations to fit my needs a bit better and limit the number of holes drilled into the stand as shown by my sketch above.

I really prefer this style of stainless steel lily pipes over anything else I have seen. I will be using a router to get slots in the stand the inflow and outflow pipes. I understand that ADG will be the US distributor for Natural Aquario soon enough; however, I don't believe they will be selling the Steel Flow pipes individually from the stands.

I did order the Steel Flow pipes directly from Natural Aquario in Portugal.

For the interior of the stand I will for sure be keeping the divider down the center and drawer slide for the filter. I really like the idea of not having to pull a full canister filter from the back of a deep stand. The rest of the interior I will finalize after I receive the filter, pipes, heater, CO2, etc.

Filtration
I will be running an Eheim 2217 and think it will allow adequate filtration for a tank this size. I am more worried about flow than I am actual filtration. I currently have a 2211 and 2215 on other tanks and have been pretty happy with them, mainly on how quiet they are.

Lighting
I definitely prefer LED lighting and currently have Finnex Ray2s, Finnex Fugeray, and Current LED+. I've been happy with them, but I wanted more control over the intensity and to keep everything clean and simple in one fixture that could be suspended. I definitely wanted something I could control and that would have enough power to grow plants with the highest of light requirements.

I ended up on the Maxspect Razor R420r. It has all the abilities to mimic a real light cycle and plenty of power too. I like the idea of the separate focal points similar to metal halide fixtures. I purchased the 27" 160 watt 8000k version and looking through this and some other forums there have been some outstanding growth from these fixtures.

Heating
Most likely a Hydor in line heater

CO2
I will be running at least a 5lb cylinder. I currently have aquatek regulators on my other aquariums, but would like to get something more precise. I was thinking about running an automated system with a pH controller, but I am undecided currently

I will be updating this shortly with the other setup and more details as I receive equipment.
datsunissan28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
Nanoful
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow! U r building this before me, we gonna have the same set up , keep us update, I really want to know if that light worthies for the $$$
Old 12-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

I decided on a tiered stand for the 12 gallons as opposed to a shelf system with the aquariums stacked. I am going this route partially for stability and because the room most of my aquariums the ceiling is sloped so I am limited in height.

I currently have 3' T5HO lighting, but will probably switch over to a thin led light like current satellite plus. I'm hoping this is adequate for a 9" deep tank as I have one on a 20 long and it is only good for lower light.

As far as progress the light is on it's way, Natural Aquario is building a new batch of the stainless lily pipes, and I picked up most of the supplies for the stand.

I ended up on 3/4" maple plywood. I just need the hardware and the edge banding.

I am attempting to build my own light stands out of 1/2" conduit. At $1.80 a pop I can afford to make some mistakes. Even after picking up a conduit bender it is still a fraction of the cost.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Obakemono
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

How are you planning to attach the conduit to the stand?
Obakemono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obakemono View Post
How are you planning to attach the conduit to the stand?

I most likely will be using aluminum single hole straps. I will attempt to polish the conduit and coat with a semi-gloss finish to try to better match the stainless steel lily pipes.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Cool!

I wanted to know- what is the emergent plant in your 12 gallon long?
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplomado View Post
Cool!

I wanted to know- what is the emergent plant in your 12 gallon long?
Thanks, to the best of my knowledge it is Bacopa monnieri.

It grows like crazy under two T5HO and will survive under much lower lights as well. Here are some cuttings I gave to a friend a few weeks ago:

Old 12-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #8
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

Started building the stands. Big fan of the track saw. So much easier than a table saw.

The Maxspect razor arrived finally. It is very solid build. All metal to act as a heat sink.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #9
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

TRACK SAW!!!

That's going on the Christmas list for sure!
Old 12-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
TRACK SAW!!!

That's going on the Christmas list for sure!
The Dewalt and Festool track saws are $500+ and the Makita setup is around $400. I felt the first two were pretty evenly matched and Lowes had a good sale and free shipping. I'm happy with it so far and it is really quiet for a saw. I do need a dust collection hookup.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

The first stand is assembled now. Cutting the holes for filter lines and power cords tonight. Sanding, staining, and sealing will be done this weekend.

The first photos was just testing for fit before adding the edge banding. I used pocket hole joinery and the stand is extremely strong.

[URL=http://s13.photobucket.com/user/datsunissan28/media/Rimless%20Aquariums/E8F334D7-5E8F-4FF8-8484-718E44C430F0.jpg.html][/URL

The gap above the doors will be smaller once I hang them.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hey cool, another razer user. I absolutely LOVE mine. Exactly what I wanted in an LED and colors are just beautiful with it too.
pwolfe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

That led unit looks like a beast!! Love how slick it is. Didnt know people went full 10k for planted though.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfe View Post
Hey cool, another razer user. I absolutely LOVE mine. Exactly what I wanted in an LED and colors are just beautiful with it too.
Thanks. Your tank journal was one that helped me decide on this light. I really like he emergent look with air plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
That led unit looks like a beast!! Love how slick it is. Didnt know people went full 10k for planted though.
They do make a 800k fixture, which is what I have. It's a bit harder to find them, but aquacave and reefgeek both carry the 8000k spectrum.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

Doors are hung. Holes for the filter pipes and wires are drilled. Stand is stained. Waiting to put the final finish to give it a nice sheen.

Picked up the other 12 gallon long. So it looks like it will be tomorrow before the stand goes into place.

Stand for the upper tier 12 gallon long.

Best part is I get to do this all over for the 48 gallon!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.