Scag's Vertical 20G build *UPDATE on last page* - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #31
tzen
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bryan has a point, but one or two leucs would do ok in there. Auratus, like a green and bronze, would be better, and are bolder when adults than thumbs are.
One of the nice things about dart frogs is they are diurnal, with quiet calls anyway.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #32
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzen View Post
Bryan has a point, but one or two leucs would do ok in there. Auratus, like a green and bronze, would be better, and are bolder when adults than thumbs are.
One of the nice things about dart frogs is they are diurnal, with quiet calls anyway.

I was just worried as this is a vertical tank. Not sure if the darts would mind one way or the other. There is just alot more height in this tank than width.
I just assumed some type of tree frog or reed frog would be better suited.
However like I said before I am trying to grow various plants that require very high humidity and warmth- which seems to be not so good for tree frog health.
Would love to try some darts. I will keep my eyes open for some good deals on Auratus. Josh's Frogs is only 2 hours away from my house. If they have any great sales in the near future I may end up driving up there and picking up a couple.

I definitely want frogs that call- but aren't crazy annoying or loud. I had a grey tree frog when I was a kid and when it called it would wake up the whole house.
I read that reed frogs can be quite loud as well.
On the flip side Clown tree frogs from south america are somewhat quiet, as well as most darts.
scags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #33
Baltimore Bryan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Leucs are fairly loud, but they call in the day so they won't wake you up and it's a nice cal. Auratus are very quiet, and just about all thumbnails species (which would use the vertical space well) also have a pretty quiet call. Anythonyi also have a nice call, it's audible like a leuc's but not annoying loud. Josh's Frogs is good, they will help you choose some good frogs if you decide to buy from them.
Goodluck with whatever you choose, just remember to practice culturing fruit flies ahead of time so you can get practice doing that if you choose dart frogs.
Bryan
Baltimore Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #34
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimore Bryan View Post
Leucs are fairly loud, but they call in the day so they won't wake you up and it's a nice cal. Auratus are very quiet, and just about all thumbnails species (which would use the vertical space well) also have a pretty quiet call. Anythonyi also have a nice call, it's audible like a leuc's but not annoying loud. Josh's Frogs is good, they will help you choose some good frogs if you decide to buy from them.
Goodluck with whatever you choose, just remember to practice culturing fruit flies ahead of time so you can get practice doing that if you choose dart frogs.
Bryan
Thanks Bryan, I appreciate the advice. I have been culturing fruit flies for a while now. I create a new culture about once a week- it's kind of a cycle. Every week (sometimes 2) I end up with a culture that begins to crash. So I empty it out clean it and create a new one in that container. Within a few days that new culture is booming. Then usually a few days later there is a culture ready to go down. So far it has been working out good. I keep culturing the FFs even though I don't have real use for them currently. I just know how handy they will be once I get some frogs for my tank.
After reading your post and researching online I was pleased to hear that the thumbnails would make use of the vertical space. That was my biggest concern. Seeing my tank has very limited floor space but has a nice vertical wall going up that could easily be climbed by small amphibians.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #35
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

***Update***
Added A LOT of plants. Ordered from Verdant Vivariums. You can find her on Facebook and Ebay.
Added in peperomias (Banos, emarginella), Dischidia, Ficus Panama, Microgramma, and some unknown moss from Hawaii.

Word of caution- ordering plants in the winter is dangerous. I paid for insulation and 72 hour heat packs. However, I did not anticipate the USPS would crush the box, leaving it open to the freezing winter air. I HATE the USPS. Most plants seemed OK, but the peperomias suffered. Hopefully they bounce back.

Anywho, back to the update. Really happy with the progress. My brom is showing some really nice coloring under the high lights. All the moss and oak leaf ficus is filling in nicely. Hopefully things keep going well and I will be able to sell some cuttings to folks soon.
Here are some photos- merry xmas everyone!!!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2488.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	249433

Name:	IMG_2484.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	249441

Name:	IMG_2487.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	249449

Name:	IMG_2480.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	249457

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.