Scag's Vertical 20G build *UPDATE on last page* - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Elassoma_sailor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking good!
Elassoma_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elassoma_sailor View Post
Looking good!
Thank you! Still looks a little rough, but it's coming along nicely. A few months from now it should awesome.
scags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another UPDATE!

Went to Lowe's a couple weeks ago and got a couple plants off their clearance rack. It amazes me how ignorant the garden workers are about many of the plants they sell.

Let me back up, When I graduated from high school 15 years ago I got a part time job working in the Lowe's garden center. I loved it for the most part. I learned a lot about plants during my time there. When I first started there however- I was uneducated and made many of the same mistakes I see their workers making today.

Not to mention how downhill the Lowe's tropical plant selection has gone over the years. They used to sell a large variety of ferns, tropicals, and orchids. Now it seems to be the most basic houseplants.

The workers tend to over fertilize, and over water- not to mention they use plain old tap water from a garden hose. This is a huge no no for ferns and orchids. Fertilizer will kill many plants- especially ferns. So will watering with untreated tap water.

On the flip side- many of their plants end up on the clearance (death) rack. If you are good with plants you can save many of them simply by repotting and proper care. Which is what I tend to do. Saved a few philodendrons and ferns that were nearly dead when I purchased them from Lowe's.

So a couple weeks ago I got a Bromeliad Guzmania that was half dead- but had a pup growing off the side. It's a poor man's brom, but I try to keep things cheap with this project.
I mounted it to a piece of driftwood, then covered it in sphagnum moss, epiweb moss, and java moss. It looks great. Hopefully it does ok. I don't have any airflow in the this tank, but keeping it mounted in the air should help keep root rot away.

I may end up switching it out for a nicer Bromeliad sometime in the future.

All the other plants are still doing great and growing in.

PS- Sorry for all the writing- I tend to type a lot! Also must apologize for my horrific photography skills. I just use my phone to take pics. And really the photos don't do the tank justice. It looks so much brighter and greener in reality.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	233857

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	233873

Name:	IMG_2369.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	233881
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2367.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	233865  

Old 11-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #19
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Progressing nicely! Some sharp photos for a phone. Great plant diversity (really like the unknown Philodendron vine & the Guzmania).
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #20
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastewater View Post
Progressing nicely! Some sharp photos for a phone. Great plant diversity (really like the unknown Philodendron vine & the Guzmania).
Thank you! The vine is awesome. I wish I knew what kind it was exactly. It reminds me of pothos or even heart shaped pothos, but it appears slightly unique from both.

The Location is Anna Maria Island, a WildLife Rescue Center that my brother works at. It was growing up a tree and over a fence. The vines cascading down from the tree.

Very Lush looking and different from all the other philodendron vines growing in the area.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a little update. Things are still going great. Did end up ordering some plants from a local person in Michigan. Some Microgramma, and rare-ish peperomia.
Just waiting for a good time to meet up and get my plants. Don't want to ship in this frigid weather.

Added a tree fern panel from my grow-out tank. Has emersed needle leaf java fern, mosses, and some tropical liverworts.

I also added a small PC fan in the upper left corner. Took it out of my old desktop and wired it to a phone charger. Keeps the air circulating for better plant growth.

Name:	IMG_2439.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	241041

Name:	IMG_2442.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	241049

Name:	IMG_2441.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	241057
Old 11-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #22
agimlin
Planted Tank Obsessed

the scape looks awesome, but I noticed you have no external ventilation. if you keep tree frogs they will develop respiratory infections. even with pc fans humidity will still be in the 90's. most tree frogs like 60-70% during the day and in the 80's at night.
agimlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by agimlin View Post
the scape looks awesome, but I noticed you have no external ventilation. if you keep tree frogs they will develop respiratory infections. even with pc fans humidity will still be in the 90's. most tree frogs like 60-70% during the day and in the 80's at night.

Thanks for the info. I do not have any frogs currently in the tank. Although that is my eventual intentions. The humidity is usually in the 80s all the time. It actually seems to get lower at night. Probably because of the drop in temp.
So how do you ventilate externally without losing your high humidity?

I have kept Cuban Tree Frogs for a number of years with no ill effect from not having external ventilation. However, I hand mist their enclosures several times a day, which allowed for momentary air exchange. My current tree frog tank does have small ventilation holes.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #24
agimlin
Planted Tank Obsessed

instead of a glass panel at the top put in a screen. if you wanted to keep the set up you already have you could try some easy dart frogs like some lucs. this is my red eyed tree frog 20h vertical conversion from josh's frogs. note the screen at the top
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1593.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	241273  

Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #25
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
instead of a glass panel at the top put in a screen. if you wanted to keep the set up you already have you could try some easy dart frogs like some lucs. this is my red eyed tree frog 20h vertical conversion from josh's frogs. note the screen at the top
Nice setup.

I keep a couple of my juvenile frogs in a small exo-terra tank. It had a screen top, but I replaced it with a piece of plexi-glass. The exo-terra tanks work nicely to keep in humidity once you replace the top. They still have vents just below the doors, which helps air flow, yet holds the humid air in.

Seems to me like a screen top would just let out the warm humid air? Am I wrong?

Many of the mosses and ferns I am trying to grow need very high humidity as well as warmth. I guess their needs are difficult to mix with that of living breathing animals- who need constant fresh air.

I am actually going to check out those conversion kits. I like that they usually have vents/screens and still have access to the entire front of the viv.

Last edited by scags; 11-30-2013 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #26
agimlin
Planted Tank Obsessed

if you want a set up that has almost 100% humidity go with some darts. luecs are great beginner darts and are very bold and active. the next viv I build is going to be for some sort of dart frog. if that is a direction you decide to go in you might want to try raising fruit fly cultures before you get frogs so you can get the hang of having a constant food supply. ff cultures can crash for no apparent reason so you want to make sure you have back ups. and your question about vents and warm humid air. I am running a dual t5ho light which produces the perfect amount of heat during the day and I also have a stagnant water pond in the front right corner to help control humidity and I mist once a day by hand. my frogs couldn't be happier.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #27
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
if you want a set up that has almost 100% humidity go with some darts. luecs are great beginner darts and are very bold and active. the next viv I build is going to be for some sort of dart frog. if that is a direction you decide to go in you might want to try raising fruit fly cultures before you get frogs so you can get the hang of having a constant food supply. ff cultures can crash for no apparent reason so you want to make sure you have back ups. and your question about vents and warm humid air. I am running a dual t5ho light which produces the perfect amount of heat during the day and I also have a stagnant water pond in the front right corner to help control humidity and I mist once a day by hand. my frogs couldn't be happier.
Thanks for the input. Good point about the difference between tree frogs and dart frogs. The luecs may be the way for me to go with this particular viv.

I actually already have some fruit fly cultures going as well as numerous cricket colonies, and roaches (blaberus fusca) as well. You'd think I was running an insect zoo.

I started the fruit flies due to my Cuban Tree Frog laying eggs. Only a handful survived to adulthood- which is probably a good thing because I don't know what I would have done with 100 frogs. But the fruit flies were needed for the froglets. Ever since then I have continued my ff cultures- usually making a new culture every week or two.

Not to mention my pygmy sunfish love the larva. I also raise Grindals, and microworms.

Do your red eyed tree frogs ever breed? If so I would love to take a few babies off your hands. For a price of course.
I would love to put together a nice red eyed enclosure like the one you have.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
agimlin
Planted Tank Obsessed

nope never had a spawn with them, i only have one male and one female. i want to add one more male them simulate a rainy season in the spring and hope i get some eggs. what ever animal you decide to go with do lots of research and when you think you got it do more research lol.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #29
scags
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
nope never had a spawn with them, i only have one male and one female. i want to add one more male them simulate a rainy season in the spring and hope i get some eggs. what ever animal you decide to go with do lots of research and when you think you got it do more research lol.
Will do, and good luck with spawning your Red Eyes.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
Baltimore Bryan
Algae Grower

Personally I wouldn't pick leucs for that since they are more of a terrestrial frog and that has very little floor space. They will climb, but spend most of their time on the ground or near it in my experience so I don't think they would take advantage of the height of that tank.
An easy thumbnail species (Ranitomeya ventrimaculata, now called R. amazonica), or R. imitator would be a better choice for dart frogs I think. You have to have absolutely no gaps though, because they will fit through the tiniest of cracks and escape.
If you're uncomfortable with those, try E. anthonyi. They are in between thumbnail and leuc size, climb more, have a nice call, and even eat larger food items (fruit flies and small crickets).
Whatever you choose, good luck. It's growing in nicely.
Bryan
Baltimore Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote