What's wrong with my swordplant? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 10-27-2013, 03:34 AM   #16
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Sounds fine. Plants can be grown in a lot of different conditions. The conditions your swords are in are not optimal, but you can clearly grow them just fine. Not every plant has to be kept in unlimiting conditions to grow and look nice. If you are happy with the way they are growing and the way they look then there is no reason to change anything.

The crispiness you mention is a sign that they are on the lower edge of their growing parameters (probably lighting). Most swords do not feel crispy, they are usually pretty flexible and tough except for the stems which are somewhat brittle. Again, this is not necessarily a big problem unless it gets to the point were the plant disintegrates with a touch.
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i meant the petioles are very crispy and fragile at the base where it connects to the stem.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #18
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Its melting getting used to the tank, i keep rubins and whenever i move them they do this (Can do this for up to about a week in my expereince). need a lot of nutrients at the substrate and much more light than being provided (If the top picture is your tank) If you add Root tabs that will suffice for the time being. Long term you might want to look at flourite or even a dirted tank. And the bubbles that come out of the substrate are not air pockets, their nitrogen thats being created by the bacteria in the substrate, just have to release them every so often by digging a finger in or using a skewer

Rubins tend to be a bit more fragile then other swords

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #19
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

i do have a flourite layer at the bottom. it was from when i changed from 100% flourite substrate to play sand. didnt get all of the flourite out.

So everyone now thinks i do not have the sufficient lighting to keep these swords?

I do not see how its melting for so long. you said one week. i've been getting holes in it ever since i released my plecos into the main tank and my snail populations spiked. up until now. the plants have been in this tank for over a year now.

And yes that's what i meant by air pockets. air is mostly nitrogen anyway. but i do get the difference between the bacteria-fixed nitrogen and regular air we breathe. good to know its normal even in shallow substrates!

Should I try a different plant? maybe a hardy stem plant? I know i have at least low light conditions here in the spotlight, maybe slightly more.
Any plant recommendations?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #20
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

You do have enough to sustain the plant otherwise it wouldn't be growing new plants and have survived for so long.

The plant would prefer more light but that isn't necessary to keeping it alive and growing.

Quote:
Should I try a different plant?
Come on, you are asking this on a plant forum with 1000's of ravenously obsessed plant hobbyists! Of course you should add more plants ! Don't get rid of your sword, but definitely try adding other plants you like.
Zapins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Haha! I will think about adding something that will fare better, thanks for all your help everyone!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #22
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

From what your saying it seems as if what it really needs is more nutrients at the roots

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

it already has TWO Osmocote tablets under the roots AND Flourite layer at the bottom. AND on top of that i dose the tank with a little iron and Kent plant fert every week.
What more can it possibly want???

I think it's the light that is to blame.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

With that dosing regiment and the root tabs i would have to agree

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #25
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

lol i know right, these are getting to be more whiny that i bargained for :P
Old 10-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #26
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

so are you going to be looking into a stem plant now or another variety of sword?

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #27
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

no more swords. my substrate wont be deep enough for a bigger sword i want.
maybe some stem plant. what's a good low light one? that may work with my scape? i think the red rubins worked with my scape for a while.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Im not sure how many stem plants there are that could work there... Maybe Ludwigia Repens? i've been able to grow them well in low light conditions, however they dont usually keep their red for long. You could always go super easy and look at Elodea, i by no means recommend it! I personally hate the stuff and think it needs to stop being sold.

You've got a thin substrate but i would look at other types of swords, amazons could do well with what you've got

-Joe (Looper 2012)
Old 10-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #29
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

you think an amazon sword would be happy in here? because that is the sword i wanted.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #30
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

Amazon swords are excellent plants for situations that are less than par for other sword varieties. I honestly wouldn't be afraid to float them they are that hearty. I've had Amazon swords in all my tanks, 10 g. Just gravel fluorescent 10W bulbs and it did fairly well. They enjoy root tabs as well so it wouldn't hurt to throw one in with it

-Joe (Looper 2012)