My First Tank Build - 55g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My First Tank Build - 55g

Hey everyone! I'm happy to finally have an account here and most of my equipment to complete my first tank. After reading a lot for months and looking at the amazing tanks here on this site it's really inspired me to go for it. Here is everything I have up to this point in time. I am not opposed to any ideas, thoughts, comments, etc. I am still very new to this and am trying to learn everything I can from the more experienced! Please keep in mind, like I said, this is my first ever tank build and I have absolutely no past experience doing anything like this but I want to learn. I've also read that 55 gallon tanks are very hard to scape so I've been trying my best.

Also, the T5 lighting I use for some plants inside during the winter, this was used to try and take some better photos and is not the light I'm using for the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-22 14.18.22.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	223321  

Name:	2013-10-10 18.24.33.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	223329  

Name:	2013-10-10 17.59.28.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	223337  

Name:	2013-10-10 18.25.07.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	223345  

Name:	2013-10-12 13.39.52.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	223353  

Name:	2013-10-12 14.15.10.jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	223361  

Name:	2013-10-12 14.15.15.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	223369  

Name:	2013-10-12 15.05.32.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	223377  

Name:	2013-10-12 15.43.05.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	223385  

Name:	2013-10-12 15.43.29.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	223393  

Name:	2013-10-12 20.59.15.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	223401  

Name:	2013-10-12 20.59.22.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	223409  

Name:	2013-10-15 11.46.12.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	223417  

Name:	2013-10-15 11.48.49.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	223425  

Name:	2013-10-15 11.46.03.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	223433  

pyrosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Teibban
Algae Grower

Hey Pyro,

Looks like you will have a very nice tank. What kind of fish do you want to add to this tank?

Good luck with the rest of the scaping.
Teibban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teibban View Post
Hey Pyro,

Looks like you will have a very nice tank. What kind of fish do you want to add to this tank?

Good luck with the rest of the scaping.
Hey Teibban, thanks for checking out my setup! Thank you, and I haven't really thought a whole lot about fish yet but I do like Rasboras.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosnowman View Post
Hey everyone! I'm happy to finally have an account here and most of my equipment to complete my first tank. After reading a lot for months and looking at the amazing tanks here on this site it's really inspired me to go for it.
Great start Pyrosnowman. I think this forum is excellent as well and I'm inspired every day when I'm reading different threads. I'm just getting started as well and trying to learn all that I can.

I really like the layout so far. the two wood pieces that stand straight up in the left looks amazing. good luck and keep us updated, I'm going to follow your progress. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoveringmypath View Post
Great start Pyrosnowman. I think this forum is excellent as well and I'm inspired every day when I'm reading different threads. I'm just getting started as well and trying to learn all that I can.

I really like the layout so far. the two wood pieces that stand straight up in the left looks amazing. good luck and keep us updated, I'm going to follow your progress. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Hey, don't know how I missed this Thursday. I like the energy here on TPT as everyone seems to be quite friendly and willing to teach what they know to help others. It's exactly what I was hoping for when I first saw this forum.

Thank you for the positive feedback! Also, glad to hear someone else likes the two stand up pieces on the left as I wasn't to sure about it at first but it's grown on me. I'll have more updates soon, and will be adding a light or filter next.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

How's the tank going? You have any new updates/pics?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
pe7ra

Looks good man! What are you using for filtration? Agree with the above users, vertical logs look mighty fine. Have you thought about plants?
pe7ra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
How's the tank going? You have any new updates/pics?
Unfortunately no new updates yet as I spent most of this replacing vinyl stripes on my car and just haven't had the time.

I am planning on ordering a 48" Finnex Ray 2 within the next day as everything I've read has been positive feedback and I really wanted to give LEDs a go. My friend who's been in the planted tank hobby on and off for several years said it's been easy for him to get the plants in the tank first, then fill it up after they root a little so I was thinking of doing that. Just needed the light source first! Lol Have you had any experience with this?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe7ra View Post
Looks good man! What are you using for filtration? Agree with the above users, vertical logs look mighty fine. Have you thought about plants?
Hey there Pe7ra, welcome to TPT forum! Thank you very much and really I am glad to know people like the vertical pieces. I was so skeptical at first but they really have grown on me more every day.

For filtration I'm thinking of going with a canister filter. Maybe something like the Cascade 700 canister filter which is rated for a 65 gallon. I think the Cascade 1200 would be too large to use on my tank but I keep hearing conflicting arguments on whether there is such a thing as too much filtration. I've been giving it a lot more thought lately but am still open to new ideas and opinions.

For plants I really want to do some dwarf hair grass, especially on the right side of the tank where it gives a field like view between the rocks and some small pieces of scattered driftwood. Definitely some anubias as well though I need to be careful because some types I've heard can be harmful to shrimp. I would also like to use some moss around/ on driftwood to give it a more natural feel. Still looking into some other types as well and I'm sure I'll end up adding more in the future regardless!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
discoveringmypath
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosnowman View Post
Unfortunately no new updates yet as I spent most of this replacing vinyl stripes on my car and just haven't had the time.

I am planning on ordering a 48" Finnex Ray 2 within the next day as everything I've read has been positive feedback and I really wanted to give LEDs a go. My friend who's been in the planted tank hobby on and off for several years said it's been easy for him to get the plants in the tank first, then fill it up after they root a little so I was thinking of doing that. Just needed the light source first! Lol Have you had any experience with this?
I'm actually new to the hobby myself so I'm not sure about planting the plants first and letting them root. It does make sense and seems to make things a lot easier to setup.

Keep us posted on the progress though.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #11
SinX7
Algae Grower

Can't wait for the final result.

If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent so far, so I can have a ideal budget.

Thanks!
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm actually new to the hobby myself so I'm not sure about planting the plants first and letting them root. It does make sense and seems to make things a lot easier to setup.

Keep us posted on the progress though.
Definitely will do, and it's nice having other people to talk to who are also new to the hobby. Makes for interesting topics and bouncing back ideas from a beginner stand point. I was actually going to order the 48" Finnex Ray 2 Saturday but for some reason they are not available on their site and they are currently unavailable on Amazon. Not sure what happened there but it has caused a slight set back. I emailed Finnex this morning asking about the situation.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinX7 View Post
Can't wait for the final result.

If you don't mind me asking, how much have you spent so far, so I can have a ideal budget.

Thanks!
Hey Sinx7,

I got a really good deal on the tank, just so happened to go shopping for one the day Petco was having their dollar per gallon sale. So $55 for the tank and about $80 for the stainless steel black stand. I ordered the driftwood on Amazon and that was about $40. The Yamaya stones I ordered from ADA, which seem to now be unavailable, and I ordered 20lbs, for almost $100, just so I had plenty plus I didn't mind having left overs. The last thing I've currently got is the substrate which I got for about $1 a pound on Amazon. So 120lbs of substrate in the tank for $120 total thanks to Amazon prime free shipping. Looks like current total for everything pictured comes to $395 so far. Which actually isn't too bad though I still need to get the filter and lighting, along with plants of course. Looking at another 200-300 I'm sure plus any future additions including shrimp and fish.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
pyrosnowman
Algae Grower

UPDATE

Just wanted to note that I got a hold of Finnex and they told me they are currently out of the 48" Ray 2 LEDs. They said they should have more in stock in early November and they would notify me when they are in stock. Obviously this puts a small damper on my build for the time being but it will give me a little more time for additional research.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
Rivercats
Algae Grower

Have you looked at Build My Led fixtures? I have four, one on my 55g, and they are great pictures.
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.