Angelfish... Fighting or Mating?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Mangala
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Angelfish... Fighting or Mating?

what's it mean when they're lip-locked and dancing around each other in tight circles? Is that actual fighting, or are my little babies growing up and figuring out who they wanna create more little babies with?
Mangala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
original kuhli
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just use a human analogy and it'll make sense...in other words...they're probably a couple!
original kuhli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
turbosaurus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)

It definately means they are growing up.

But are those two a pair? experiences differ.

I've probably had 15 pairs of angels and never had a couple lip-lock or posture at each other like that.

I have had two males fighting over a teritory or the afections of a female ready to spawn do what you are describing.

Other people have experienced the complete opposite and have only witnessed the behavior between a pair.

Either way, they're P.O.ed at each other. Is it a little lovers spat or are they rivals? Who knows. Keep an eye out for eggs and you'll find out.
turbosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 05:37 PM   #4
Mangala
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, these two have been nearly inseperable since I could start to tell the difference between each of the 5 angels in my tank. They happen to be the only two with red eyes, which I think is really cool... But I've never taken that to mean that one is a guy and the other is a girl... they just don't seem to like any of the other angelfish in my tank... at all. but last night really threw me off guard, as they suddenly started doing this wierd lip lock thing, for the first time ever. Now I'm hoping that I get the 20gallon they had at a raffel at my lfs last weekend...
Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Mori
Wannabe Guru

If they both spend time pecking at a surface to clean it, then you know they're serious!
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Mangala
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nah, they haven't done that yet... I've been watching. maybe they're fighting over which surface to use!
Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
Rhea
Algae Grower

My angels do lip-lock when fighting, they face each other, colour up and kind of flick their fins (sorry, can't think of a better word) then if one doesn't back down the lip-locking starts.
Rhea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2007, 05:31 AM   #8
Cwickham
Algae Grower

i would definalty say fighting... if they pair they are usualy peaceful
Cwickham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
Mangala
Planted Tank Enthusiast

would this possibly be a response to the one finally growing bigger than the other? and now he/she is proving dominance? I saw them sizing each other up today, but no fighting since that one time...
Old 04-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #10
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

well, when my tiger barbs mouth butt and swim around each other quickly and in tight circles, I've always thought they were fighting for dominance... especially since they are all males.
spypet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #11
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

It's still hard to tell. I would think that if you had a small group of them in the tank and the 2 have pretty much stayed close together, they could be paired. But they could have not tolerated each other anymore and just started fighting. The best thing is just to watch them the next few days/weeks if they stop doing it. I would also place a piece of slate in the tank in the area the 2 stay around the most.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Mangala
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They're actually starting to clean one leaf of a crypt - granted, only one will do it at a time, and sometimes one will say, "You're doing it all wrong!" and chase the other away and start doing it him/herself... I've a feeling that if they start mating, it's going to be a rough relationship.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #13
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Dang, that sucks. You have a perfectionist discus. LOL
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Mangala
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Angelfish, but yeah. A**l retentive little buggers. I hope that's not against forum rules to say.. I'll bleep it out. There. if you know what it means, then you know it's not a curse either. :-P
Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 AM   #15
Got Fish?
Planted Member

i think that might be fighting...but you never know???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.