For all the older folks - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 10-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #16
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

My great-uncle worked at an asbestos factory, spraying it all day every day on stuff for insulation. He died at 106.

Maybe I'm lucky, but most that stuff applies to me, and I was born in the latter half of 1990.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
Luminescent
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

"before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good."

I grew up playing outside -on horses- riding with my friends every day. I can't really think of anything the 'government' has done to stop kids from doing that- my kids do it pretty much the same activities I did growing up. Two are in college and were on the honor roll through school.

We banned television from the house in about 1995. And we never 'took' the kids anywhere. Family outings, yes. If they wanted to go to a friends they rode bikes or horses.

One thing though- I have known 3 children who all suffered lead poisoning before 'them thar damn regulations' stopped the paint companies from adding it. They were the kids who had to wear helmets because they were always swaying back and forth, bumping their heads. Two of them were twins. Paint companies privately knew lead caused retardation- but started a denial campaign, even saying lead was good for houses because it 'shielded' people.

And I am so glad the EPA tested the wells in our area after an Aluminum company set up shop a few miles away- because we ended up with lethal levels of Aluminum and Arsenic in our wells. As it was, it killed a few chickens and two of our best mousing cats. Other farmers lost cattle. They made the company clean up it's mess and compensate people who had lost livestock or been sickened.

And an area I owned a home near as an adult actually had their roads paved with radioactive waste that had been mixed into asphalt. A company sold the waste to the city. Fortunately it was tested after it had only been on the ground in the neighborhood for a couple of years, so the cancer rate didn't get as bad as it could have. But what alerted them was kids showing up with rare thyroid lumps.

If no one had noticed or cared- or made them fix it- god only knows how many families would have been sickened. That company did everything they could to cover it up.

So really, I possibly would not be here to write this if it weren't for certain government protections. The only 'people' I see regulated are industries that don't give a damn if they kill or sicken people or not. It's all about the profit.
Luminescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Unfortunately Luminescent that's the type of post that generally gets threads shut down here. I do agree with you on some points.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #19
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Well there's pros and cons of course in the initial post. I can remember doing many of those things described, but certainly many regulations help save lives. It's probably not a coincidence that the average life span for someone born in 1960 vs 2000 is 8 years less. I think we are better off with airbags and seat belt laws.

BTW the U.S. is a big place there are still plenty of people that live that way. If they didn't the average life span would be even higher LOL. About 20% of people in the U.S. don't even have cellphones yet.

As far as the sports, I can tell you where I live travel sports are extremely competitive and I can assure you that not everyone makes the team.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I just thought it was humorous. It was never meant to downplay the need for safety regulations. Just thought it was amusing .
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Was born in 1956 and miss much of those day's.

"When you needed clean jean's for school,you went out and pulled em off the clothes line".
"When you needed a snack,you robbed the neighbor's watermelon patch".
"Corporal punishment could be used by parent's,teacher's,neighbor's, and too bad for you if you were on the receiving end."
Ahhh,the good ole day's.
roadmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #22
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I just thought it was humorous. It was never meant to downplay the need for safety regulations. Just thought it was amusing .
I hear ya! ...and some of it is amusing, but not it's not all rosy
Old 10-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #23
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

Good post

Born in 87' (im 26) So I have lived both worlds. During middle school is when pagers/beepers were the big thing. Imagine technology 20 years from now :jawdrop:

I have a child of my own, she's 1 1/2 and we often read "Goodnight Ipad" which is based off a book "Goodnight Moon"... but technology based, (funny if you know what im talking about) and it helps remind me to keep things simple, so many kids walk around with their parents smart phones/tablets in hand, or ill visit a friend and there kid is glued to the TV, it drives me nuts. Technology is making us lazier and making it easier to be lazier. Ok, ill stop here before a real rant comes out.

Again, great post
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #24
AHGoodwin
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
Good post

Born in 87' (im 26) So I have lived both worlds. ....

Same here. 1986. Some of it applies, some doesn't. I really wish some things were more like they were back then. It really disgusts me for instance seeing 10 year olds with cell phones and who spend all their free time online. oh well.....
Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #25
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Was born in 1956 and miss much of those day's.

"When you needed clean jean's for school,you went out and pulled em off the clothes line".
"When you needed a snack,you robbed the neighbor's watermelon patch".
"Corporal punishment could be used by parent's,teacher's,neighbor's, and too bad for you if you were on the receiving end."
Ahhh,the good ole day's.
The first two quotes yeah, but corporal punishment, by a neighbor no less.

Last edited by houseofcards; 10-18-2013 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: add
Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #26
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

It certainly depended on how well your family knew the neighbors for me. But the school, oh yeah! Our principal had a paddle with holes. I had been at the wrong end of that device a time or two lol. Anyone remember hearing a "grown up" back then say "cut me a switch"...I did
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #27
Dantrasy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can relate to the OPs post. Playing all day till the street lights came on is bang on. Thanks for sharing.

And I have no interest in facebook either.

I ask students 'what does fb produce? what's their product?
Answer: You
Dantrasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It certainly depended on how well your family knew the neighbors ...
You mean like Mr. Wilson on Dennis The Menace.

Last edited by houseofcards; 10-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: add
Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #29
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It certainly depended on how well your family knew the neighbors for me. But the school, oh yeah! Our principal had a paddle with holes. I had been at the wrong end of that device a time or two lol. Anyone remember hearing a "grown up" back then say "cut me a switch"...I did
We actually made the paddles unknowingly in shop class ,that were to be used on us.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
The first two quotes yeah, but corporal punishment, by a neighbor no less.
Truly,,It takes a village to raise a child that's goin to amount to anything.
Neighbor's looked out for kid's in the neighborhood and had the complete approval of parent's to take action's necessary.
God help em ,if they were wrong in tanning your behind.
most times,,we had it coming.