For all the older folks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 10-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

For all the older folks

Saw this on Facebook and got a kick out of reading it. How true it is (was)!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN 1930's, 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's and Early 80's !!! First, you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a tin, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright colored lead-based paints. You had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes, you had no helmets, not to mention, the risks you took hitchhiking. As children, you would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.Riding in the back of a van - loose - was always great fun. You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle. You shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this. You ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but you weren't overweight because...... YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!! You would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach you all day. And you were OK. You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out you forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, you learned to solve the problem . You did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents you played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen, you did not poke out any eyes. You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law! This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. You had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL! And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good. And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)

That's great and every bit of it's so true. Too bad I would have never seen it if you didn't post it because I'm one of the few people left that doesn't have (or will ever have) Facebook.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Kids these days!!!

***shaking cane***
xmas_one is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
ThToo bad I would have never seen it if you didn't post it because I'm one of the few people left that doesn't have (or will ever have) Facebook.
I never post or have information listed there. Just have an account to keep an eye on my kid lol. It seems to me to be more of an accepted data farming "virus". So actually, you're not alone.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

I am on the tail end of that but so true and funny.

I was supposedly one of the first group of teens in the US to have a cellphone. Someone approached my friends and I at an event and wanted to see if we, with consent of our parents, would participate in a program where we got free cellphones. Basically, this company wanted to see if cellphones could fit into a teenage lifestyle and be a profitable market. That kind of trips me out some times.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know what we call kids back then with beepers in jr or high school? They were either a drug dealer or a punk asses.

I remember when I worked they provided skytel beepers that had text message then progress to the first nextels...

Also not having a Facebook page doesn't mean you're not being tracked. You're on the internet for one and you have a cell or maybe a smart phone. You probably shop with credit cards and such and your personal information is already in their database...

You want privacy, go off the grid up in the mountains or deep in the forest w/o those electronic items otherwise you're just providing less not no data.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #7
trailsnale
Algae Grower

thanks for sharing!
trailsnale is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Braxx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I wish any of this applied to me.

1993 was a good year..
Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #9
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
Also not having a Facebook page doesn't mean you're not being tracked. You're on the internet for one and you have a cell or maybe a smart phone. You probably shop with credit cards and such and your personal information is already in their database...

You want privacy, go off the grid up in the mountains or deep in the forest w/o those electronic items otherwise you're just providing less not no data.
It's not about being tracked as I'm sure big brother can find out whatever they want about anyone. For me it's about keeping some things sacred. I don't feel the need to tell everyone and their dog every single detail of my life. And the simple fact that it's making it so people have no clue how to have social interactions with people in real life is a little concerning to say the least. Maybe if I was in my early 20's and not married I could find a use for it.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experimenting itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 10-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)

I don't qualify but I do agree with this somewhat. Every one these days is too concerned about being sterile and neat. However it wasn't all bad for me as a kid. I'm 16 now but when I was in elementary school I did spend a good amount of time playing outside with the neighborhood kids. Sure there was playing of computer games too but there was a fairly good balance.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #11
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
I don't feel the need to tell everyone and their dog every single detail of my life.
I tend to agree with your post and look at facebook and similar as public record. I am sorry but I do need to correct your post.

It's not about telling everyone and their dog every single detail of your life.

It's about telling everyone about your dog and every single detail of their life.

It makes more sense after that, haha
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #12
zackariah
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I couldn't agree more
Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I tend to agree with your post and look at facebook and similar as public record. I am sorry but I do need to correct your post.

It's not about telling everyone and their dog every single detail of your life.

It's about telling everyone about your dog and every single detail of their life.

It makes more sense after that, haha
Good one.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #14
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
I don't qualify but I do agree with this somewhat. Every one these days is too concerned about being sterile and neat. However it wasn't all bad for me as a kid. I'm 16 now but when I was in elementary school I did spend a good amount of time playing outside with the neighborhood kids. Sure there was playing of computer games too but there was a fairly good balance.
I played a lot outside also. And I spent a lot of time programming computers also. And it was a fairly good mix. Of course provramming was in Fortran. On a mainframe you rented time and space on.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #15
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
......I'm one of the few people left that doesn't have (or will ever have) Facebook.
I'm not drinking the Kool-aide either, no facebook for me.

We didn't need uniforms to play baseball, we didn't need bases either. Home plate was a garbage can lid, 1st was shingle, 2nd was a brick, 3 was pc of ply wood scrape. If you hit to Right field it was an out 'cuse you never had enough guys.

You didn't need a helmet to ride your bike.

If you wanted a pop, you spend the morning searching for empty pop bottle for the refund money.

Candy bars were 5cents

If the neighbors dog bit you, it was you fault for teasing the dog and good enough for you, did you learn your lesson.

You never dreamed of being disrespectful to a teacher, cop or any other adult.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.