A different type of dirt?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 10-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #1
doug6952
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

A different type of dirt?

I'm planning on starting a 20long planted tank in the next month or so. Still debating if I'll do aqua soil or a capped dirt substrate. Most people seem to be using the Miracle grow organic. There is a pond place that I dealt with for years with my garden pond that sells soil for growing lilies and other pond plants. Wondering if that soil might do better. Below is their description of the soil.

"Our Bag of Soil contains a rich combination of clay-based, Earthen mix and high quality top soil, providing a heavy, pond-like bottom for plants to root deeply, while retaining plenty of the nutrients and natural fertilizer associated with excellent top soil. One Bag of Soil is 5 gallons, enough to fill one large lily tub."
doug6952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
king kong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The way I look at soil is harmless inorganic and organic particles of a wide range of sizes. It's the added manure and or fertilizer that can get you in trouble. If there was a way to feed the entire bag of Miracle grow to a worm, it would break it down into plant loving soil
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote