I resealed a tank and there is an air bubble, help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Greg-Eared Slider
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I resealed a tank and there is an air bubble, help!

Hi. I am completely new to aquariums. I purchased a 55 gallon tank and stand from a yard sale across the street. I filled up the tank and it did not leak for days. Then I filled it up in my room. That is when I started getting nervous because whoa that is a lot of water that can ruin my day. Anyway the tank held water but the inside silicone was flapping and all that so I figured I wanted peace of mind.

I decided to reseal it myself. I cleaned the old stuff off really well and resealed it with RTV 108, that industrial sealant as well as adhesive stuff. Thanks to research on great sites like these. Everything went well besides that I was afraid to go over the silicone with my finger more than once when smoothing it out because of something i read, which I think now would have been fine..

So the job wasn't gorgeous but I was very happy with it besides one SPOT! There is an air bubble that I caused to be there underneath the new silicone I laid down. It is a descent size but at the same time I was not shy with the silicone so it is also encased completely with a good amount of silicone. If I push into it with my finger it does bounce a little bit. Sigh. Anyway I've attached pics from the sides and front and also one from a bit farther away because those close ups make it look a little worse then it does in reality.

Please let me know if this is a concern...

Thanks,

p.s. Sorry if this is on the wrong thread. I figure DIY is this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	TankBubble1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	223505

Name:	TankBubble2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	223513

Name:	TankBubble3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	223521

Name:	TankBubble4.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	223529
Greg-Eared Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
dzega
Planted Tank Obsessed

i vote: its fine.
enjoy your new tank setting it up
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
tithra
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)

My new 75 gallon has a bubble like this, I personally don't worry about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tithra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Greg-Eared Slider
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick responses! I am going to test it out this weekend . Any more input is appreciated.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

FWIW you really didn't do much for the integrity of that tank. When you redo the silicone on a tank, you are supposed to take the tank completely apart and then rebuild it. I'm assuming of course that you just razorbladed off the sloppy silicone on the inside of the tank and reapplied a new radius with your finger. New silicone does not stick to old silicone. All that being said, your tank is probably fine.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Greg-Eared Slider
Algae Grower

Thanks for the knowledge Xmas. I have heard that the inside silicone is more of a leak guard while between the glass panels is for structure. I figured that if the tank was filled for about 4 days with no leaks to begin with, that just doing the inside silicone would suffice. Also a rebuild scared me .

I am more concerned with how that bubble looks and the worry of water getting in there and stuck in the bubble or something like that. As far as the between the glass silicone, no bubbles in that, it looks good. Hopefully my RES Stud Tortellini doesn't stick his nails in that bubble!

As far as structure, you all would probably yell at me for my center brace fix I did... I am only filling it up a little more than half way and I am confident it will be ok.... kinda...

Tags
bubble, reseal, silicone