Just bought a H.O.T. Magnum filter today
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-26-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
pepperonihead
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

And it absolutely does not work. As soon as I turn it on it works for about one minute then all the water drains out of the canister and it no longer pumps. I have inspected the impellor and re installed everything time and time again to no avail! Has any one here had a similar experiance? It makes a ton of noise too.
pepperonihead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2004, 04:23 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Did you put the orange O-ring where it belongs, to seal the top and canister body?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
pepperonihead
Algae Grower

Yes I did that too! I have to tell you I was warned by a guy at another fish store who told me he does not carry them any more because they are returned too often. But that was after I bought it. It is going back to the store today.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:12 PM   #4
hardwater
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Check to make sure that the o-ring isnt broke also. Sometimes the fall out and get pinched and cut in half.
hardwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

It's sucking air somewhere. There are a few possibilities. The inlet strainer needs to be under water, of course. Away from bubbles, too. There needs to be an O-Ring where the tubing is stuck into the canister cover. They recommend to wet the O-Ring each time you dis/assemble them. Make sure it didn't slip off.
Next, the orange main-O-Ring. It's kinda tricky to put on, because it goes under the cover, and then you set the cover on the canister, and it might fall out at the same time. Just need to watch it. Make sure you have the cover on very even when getting the metal hook locked in. It should not be too easy or too hard to lock it. The cover then should not move around on the canister.
Of course, you have to fill the canister with water before you close it. The higher, the better, since any air might just stay in there and cause noises.

I would not recommend this filter for permanent use... too noisy, and not enough filter media. It's great though for water polishing, with micro filter and diatomaceous earth. Can't beat the value for that.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 12:39 AM   #6
E. Simpson
Algae Grower

I bought one last week and had problems as well.Took it back and got a different brand that worked easily and the 1st time.

Magnum filters are garbage in comparison to other choices that in some cases cost less money such as the filstar line from Rena.

It says alot to me that my brother who works for marineland doesn't even use their filters on his tank and that includes the tank in his office at work.

Ernie
E. Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
mandi0808
Algae Grower

I have 2 HOT and have not had any problems with them. They are absolutley quiet. I found that with mine I have to fill them all the way up first, before putting on the O ring and the lid.
mandi0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 11:16 PM   #8
pepperonihead
Algae Grower

Thank you for all your replys. I exchanged it and the one I have now works fine. It will never do the job that my Vortex Diatom Filter does but it is o.k. The Vortex is the best for big clearing jobs!