32 gallon Hagen Waterhome
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
skabooya
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

32 gallon Hagen Waterhome

I have had my 32 gallon Hagen Waterhome for some time now and the lights are really bothering me. They bothered me before but now, it is just killing me. I want to upgrade, but I do not want to do CO2.
I know I have just over 1wpg (yea I know, dated way to measure) But I want to be able to grow nice stem plants like rotala, etc

I have 4 bulbs; 2 fixtures, over my saltwater tank. I will be toning it down A LOT for my new re-build by using only one fixture and keeping only softies like I had originally.

I keep reading mixed/different threads about using double HO bulbs over a tank of comparable size. I would like experience/opinions as to whether I should buy a new fixture or if I can use what I have.

The fixture in question is a 2x39W T5HO Hagen Glo. Of course I would buy new bulbs specifically for plants, but I am thinking this may be too much light for my little 32 gallon even if I put a glass barrier between the bulbs and water

Has anyone ever retrofitted the waterhome hood with a T5 system? Single bulb or two lower wattage bulbs?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
dzega
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water column fertilizing and a bit lightning will
get your stem to flourish. Don't be afraid to overlight. You can always shorten your photoperiod
dzega is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
skabooya
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought plants needed a certain amount of time for light to be on for them to begin photosynthesis. What would my photo period time look like with 2x39watt T5HO bulbs over a 32 gallon tank?
I assume that the bulbs should be suspended or raised to quite a high distance above the tank.
I only want a max of medium light plants. No high light because I do not want to use CO2 and I want low tech because I do not have the time to fiddle with things all the time. I am uber busy as it is.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
skabooya
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I got my answer. My husband HATES the look of an open top tank with the hagen glo fixture suspended over it. He likes it fully enclosed. I understand why. I wish there was a way to retrofit the waterhome 32 gal hood for T5's.
Any ideas on how to do that?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #5
skabooya
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Contacted Hagen and they told me that there is no way to retrofit the canopy. I had a look underneath and noticed my individual reflectors are melted.

My husband says to replace the reflectors with Tin foil, shiny side out. Would that work?

PS the bulbs are 2x20 watt T8.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
JoeandCarrie
Algae Grower

I used tinfoil for a couple of old lights when I was younger. Worked fine for low light plants. Of course those were 20 longs and a 29 tall. Should work for your application, only way to find out of course is to try it... You can always leave the lights on longer too. I have a sweet algae farm right now in one of the wifes beta tanks. It runs a single t8 plant bulb but it runs from 530am till 10pm constant. The moss and algae grow like weeds and the beta munches away. Its about to receive 10 RCS to help control some of the algae. Anyway, it has tinfoil on the reflector because it had a white plastic one. Its a 10gal standard.
Hope that helps,
Joe
JoeandCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
skabooya
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I put the foil on a couple days ago. I wrapped it around the removable white individual reflectors and then replaced them in the canopy. My mom said it looks a bit brighter when she came over for a visit. When my husband comes back from hunting we will make a trip to the LFS and I will pick up some new bulbs. We shall see if that helps at all. This tank used to be beautiful growing all kinds of plants.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
JesusReynolds
Algae Grower

thats a great answer to work on, i loved it a lot thanks for the update

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.