Celestial Fluval Edge 12g (Pic Heavy)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Radiation91
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Celestial Fluval Edge 12g (Pic Heavy)

14 July 2014

Note: I've always used my iPad to view these forums and this is the first time I'm using a desktop PC... all of the pictures I'm adding look VERY small! I'm not sure if they are small or whether this bigger screen is making them look smaller.... so I'm sorry if the images are tiny! Let me know

So I've been wanting an aquarium for a while and decided to get a tank for the spot in the corner of my bedroom. This picture is in the evening, which is when I get about 1 hour of direct sunlight. The reflection on the tank isn't as bad most of the time.

I have limited space so I decided to go for the Fluval Edge 12g (46L). I was looking at the 6g version but I think the extra height gives me more flexibility with plants and hardscape... as well as giving me more room for the fish to explore

Oh... and the box that it comes in is massive! I bought it at my LFS and when I got to the car I realised that I was in trouble... getting this in a tiny 3-door car was a nightmare! But, I managed to get it (and me) in the back seat and we got it home

Anyway, as soon as I got the tank setup I started to worry about the IKEA "bookcase" that it's sat on. All the weight of the tank is resting on a board held up by 4 wooden dowels.

So I decided to buy a better stand... One designed for aquariums.

Meanwhile my driftwood is left to boil!

While that is boiling, I built the stand and got it in position. I feel much better about this stand. I wasn't happy with the other one since the tank is pretty much above my head while I sleep

So, the Fluval Edge has 4 main parts, the base, tank, column and cover. The base fits on the stand perfectly!

And the black column is barely visible against the wall.

I'm a stickler for perfection (which is a curse most of the time) so I've tried to keep the filter input tube and the heater somewhat symmetrical. I've also got a black heater so that it blends in with the background. The driftwood is in there now, and I have to clean two heavily tannin-stained pans

That's the end of this session!

So far I've got:
Fluval Edge 12g (black).
Stock lighting (6500k LEDs... with a blue moonlight LED option).
Fluval Finest Prefilter Sponge.
Fluval E Series 50W Heater.
Im not sure what the substrate is (I'll find out when I go to the LFS to get my fish.) It's a very fine gravel, almost like sand. I've seen shrimp at the LFS picking the individual grains up, cleaning them and then throwing them aside which I find quite entertaining!

The plan is to get this HEAVILY planted. Since this is my first tank, I want to test a variety of plant types, just to learn about different plants. I've heard that you are supposed to have different shaped plants in front of each other to give the illusion of depth. I will follow this advice but I'm not really going to follow a style (like iwagumi etc). If it looks good then I'm happy

I'm looking at getting Celestial Pearl Danios (CPD) and some small shrimp for this tank. I've purposely found a matching pair of driftwood pieces that have LOTS of holes, nooks and crannies in them and I'm going to make an arch in the middle of the tank so that the fish/shrimp can hide if they feel the need.

I'll also get some nerite snails (zebra or tracked) because I'm going to need help cleaning this tank. The hole at the top makes this very awkward to clean... especially the top corners! I've spent about 10 minutes trying to get the heater perfectly vertical and the small hole in the top of the tank is already driving me insane!
Radiation91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
Radiation91
Algae Grower

15 July 2014

The tank has been running for a day now and it's working great! There was a nice steady flow going all around the tank when I started the filter. I could tell because there were literally thousands of tiny bubbles circling the tank. Now the water is crystal clear and I'm currently letting the tank run to see if anything breaks.

Moving on, my Master Test Kit came today! I have a pH of about 7.4-7.6 and the Yorkshire Water website shows that my water is soft-medium. There are traces of copper etc but that's a minimal amount so I'm not worried. Perfect for the fish I plan to get. I have to admit, the colours in the test kit are difficult to match... but I managed

I also got a digital thermometer because I thought I could have the probe in the water and the wire would be easy to hide. The display unit could sit in the top inside the cover. Everything would be hidden and the tank would still look sleek and minimalist.

For now I just stuck it to the inside of the rim at the top and tested the heater to see if it was calibrated correctly.

Alas! This didn't go as planned! The water is reading at 26.6 degrees celcius but the heater was displaying 24 degrees.

It appears that when this digital thermometer is turned on, pressing the power button again increases the temperature by 0.1 degrees. It's an easy way to quickly calibrate it, I'll agree, but it means that every time I accidentally press it, the error gets bigger. Well... that explains the 2.6 degrees error! It took me an hour to realise this was happening!

So... I'll be getting a new thermometer on my next shopping trip then

In other news, my third piece of driftwood came this morning and its about 40cm long... I cannot boil this in a pan! It's way too big! So I've submerged (floated) it in a tray of water and roasted it in the oven My parents gave me a very strange look when I took it out of the oven

I had a play around with all 3 pieces and I like this setup:

I bought this bit of driftwood because it's tall and thin, which will help to "lift" the hardscape away from the base of the tank. The bulkier piece of driftwood has been cut along the top and I'm not keen on the sawed-off effect, so I'll be getting some java moss to cover it up. I'll put some java moss in other places to make it look natural The third piece of driftwood also create a triple of arches which I really like!

When I went to buy the fish tank yesterday I found a nice looking rock which I planned to use. Can anyone ID it?

Looking at this, I don't think it will fit in (aesthetically or physically) with the tank. To be honest, it was an impulse purchase and I acted just like Donkey when I saw it:

I don't have any white vinegar hanging around but I got some malt vinegar and poured some onto the stone (praying that my parents didn't walk past again I get too many strange looks) and there were some bubbles. I wouldn't say it was fizzing but there were enough bubbles to make me think it will affect my water parameters.

Right now, the bits of driftwood are fully submerged in a bucket of water, held down by that stone. Well, the big piece is poking out of the top but I don't have a water container big enough for it.

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
jeffpersonn
Algae Grower

Seiryuu stone ?
jeffpersonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
Radiation91
Algae Grower

16 July 2014

Today was a big day for me! I had my graduation ceremony at University! Me and my parents went out for a celebratory lunch and decided to call in at a garden center on the way home. Scoping out potential LFSs

So yeah I've got some plants now! Wooo! It felt weird being on this forum without owning a planted tank

I've got one of each of the following:
  • echinodorus bleheri
  • hygrophila siamensis 53b
  • Anubias barteri var. angustifolia
  • microsorum pteropus windelov
  • limnophila sessiliflora
  • lilaeopsis brasiliensis

For now, I've just had a play around with them. I only have about 1-2 inches of substrate and I wanted to see how easy it was to get them planted. The Windelov has quite brown roots so I'm guessing it's not very healthy. The eagle eyed readers might notice that the substrate has changed I've added 2kg of Marina Black substrate to break up the substrate. It looked too uniform so these bigger pieces are there to give some variety.

There is a problem with this setup though... by adding these plants, the flow has been affected and that has caused problems already. The heater is flashing blue with LF displaying. I was expecting this to happen! This is why it gets bad reviews! This heater is great but it turns off if there is "Low Flow" (LF). It basically means the heater wont stay on and create a hot pocket of water.

The HOB stock filter pours the water back into the tank directly above the heater but it pours towards the front of the tank, which means there's very little flow going through the heater. Like I said, I expected this to happen and I have a back up heater... which is now in the tank as my primary heater. It's an Eheim 50W heater.

Oh and the moonlight setting looks awesome but unfortunately the camera on my phone just cannot capture what it looks like. My gf is a photographer so I'll be pestering her at a later date. She has a tonne of equipment so I'll be able to do macro shots or motion triggered photos etc. I'll have to be super nice to her and try to persuade her lend me her camera

Thanks for reading!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpersonn View Post
Seiryuu stone ?
Nice! I think you might be right... thanks for the help
Old 07-26-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Radiation91
Algae Grower

16 July - 24 July 2014

When I bought the fish tank, I got a 30ml bottle of API Quick Start as a freebie. I read the label and it says:

Quote:
QUICK START allows instant addition of fish
  • No waiting period between start up and addition of fish
  • After all necessary conditions are met*, fish can be safely added
  • Starts the natural aquarium cycle
I was dubious since the Nitrogen cycle takes around 1-4 weeks. So I've added the recommended amount and recorded the water conditions daily. I couldn't add any ammonia until it arrived on 21 July.

It's a bit strange because the nitrites go off the chart overnight on the 19th but the ammonia remains constant. Although the Windelev started turning black on the tips of the leaves so perhaps it was decaying and producing ammonia? The Windelev has been thrown away since the roots have turned even darker brown.

Either way, I'd like to point out that the fish would be have suffered after about a week due to this massive nitrite spike... it's about 25ppm on 20th July and about 20ppm on the 21st July. (I diluted tank water with tap water to get a readable colour when using the Master test kit)

The nitrates are increasing steadily throughout which is a good sign but the nitrites are still very high. I did a WC and managed to get it down to 5ppm but it's gone back up since then.

All in all... I'm glad I didn't add the fish!

I did however, add some more plants!

I went out and got a bunch of eleocharis parvula and what looks like limnophila sessiliflora, but I'm not sure. I also got some Spiral val and a marimo moss ball I'm loving the variety of plants and cant wait to get the driftwood in there! Sadly it's still sat in a bucket...

While I was out I picked up a new thermometer too. It's currently red hot in this room and the water is about 27-28 deg C. I cant get it any cooler without throwing some ice cubes in there It's a Fluval Edge so the fan across the top just doesn't work and I dont want to be adding ice to it when I get some fish in there because that'll do more harm than good.

I've looked online and people keep CPDs at 28 deg C and others keep them at 23 deg C. What do people think?

Could I keep the temperature at 28 deg for now and when it starts getting cooler, gradually lower the temperature by 1 degree per month so that in winter its at 23 deg?

Or do I keep them at 28 deg all the time? If I set the heater to 25 deg (for example) then it will be constant at that temperature through winter but then it might suddenly jump in summer up to a higher temp...?

I want to avoid sudden temperature changes but also keep the temperature within their preferred range. Any advice on this is appreciated

Now that the Journal is up to date I'll make sure I update this journal as things progress, instead of doing it in bulk uploads

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Tyveck
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Awesome tank! I have that same substrate in one of my smaller planted tanks:> I wouldn't add that rock to your tank. It looks like a type of limestone and if it bubbled or fizzed when you tested it, it is a calcium based rock (some type of Limestone). This will slowly raise your gH.. Besides that your tanks looks very cool! What kinds of fish are you planning to add?

SparkVillage.com
Tyveck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Radiation91
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyveck View Post
Awesome tank! I have that same substrate in one of my smaller planted tanks:> I wouldn't add that rock to your tank. It looks like a type of limestone and if it bubbled or fizzed when you tested it, it is a calcium based rock (some type of Limestone). This will slowly raise your gH.. Besides that your tanks looks very cool! What kinds of fish are you planning to add?
Hi Tyveck! Thanks for the kind words I'm using the rock as a paperweight for now until I get a bigger tank with some hard water fish The tank is actually quite small and the choice of fish is very limited. I was looking at Bororas urophthalmoides (the exclamation point fish), chilli rasboras or neon/cardinal tetras originally but I think I've settled on getting some Celestial Pearl Danios, along with some Red Cherry Shrimps (or Fire Cherry Shrimps) to help clean the driftwood and plants.

25 July - 28 July 2014

Ok so I got bored of my nitrite test being luminous purple which indicates over 5ppm. I actually want to know exactly what my nitrite levels are for once I started to think that my bottle of nitrite test solution wasn't working... soooo ... I've done a water change of about 75% and tested the water for nitrites again and it's above 5ppm.

Grrrr... Next plan...

I diluted 0.2ml of tank water with 4.8ml of tap water and it had 0.25ppm of nitrite. That means the current level is 6.25ppm... and before the WC my tank water was 25ppm there wasn't any change in pH though so I'm guessing the cycle didn't stall.

So now I actually know what the nitrite level is... I'm currently wondering whether to do another 50% WC and bring the nitrite to ~3ppm? Or should I leave it at 6.25ppm and let the bacteria in the filter convert it? Let me know what you plantedtankians think

In other news, the bulky piece of driftwood is on the verge of sinking. I can submerge it in water and will just stay there. it's neither sinking nor floating! Weird! I've also found a large container big enough to fully submerge the long piece... which immediately sunk to the bottom (unexpected but great!) I'm just waiting for the smallest piece to sink now but it seems very "knotty"? The grain in the wood twists around so I'm guessing there are knots in it which tend to be quite dense. Anyone you has tried to saw through a tree branch with a knot in it will understand So it doesn't seem to be getting waterlogged as fast as the other pieces, but that's fine. I can always add the 2 big pieces first and get this last one in when it sinks.

And the last update of this session:

I've got a proper tank thermometer now, which seems to be about 4 degrees Celsius different to one I found lying around the house ARGHH I'm so unlucky when it comes to thermometers I want to calibrate my heater but can't when I don't know the water temperature lol

anyway, it's cooled down a lot in my room so the tank has dropped from (apparently) 28degC to (apparently) 23degC. To help with the random 2 day heat waves that happen in the UK, I've ordered two 70mm PC fans and found an adjustable voltage adapter. I'm going to create a circling airflow in the hole at the top of the tank. I don't want to damage/alter the aquarium so I'm going to modify it where the fans are removable AND hidden within the hood. Currently, there isn't a single wire on show and I want to keep it that way. I'll keep you all posted on how this goes.

Thanks for reading!
Rad91
Old 07-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
vanish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good start!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
Tyveck
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation91 View Post
Hi Tyveck! Thanks for the kind words I'm using the rock as a paperweight for now until I get a bigger tank with some hard water fish The tank is actually quite small and the choice of fish is very limited. I was looking at Bororas urophthalmoides (the exclamation point fish), chilli rasboras or neon/cardinal tetras originally but I think I've settled on getting some Celestial Pearl Danios, along with some Red Cherry Shrimps (or Fire Cherry Shrimps) to help clean the driftwood and plants.

25 July - 28 July 2014

Ok so I got bored of my nitrite test being luminous purple which indicates over 5ppm. I actually want to know exactly what my nitrite levels are for once I started to think that my bottle of nitrite test solution wasn't working... soooo ... I've done a water change of about 75% and tested the water for nitrites again and it's above 5ppm.

Grrrr... Next plan...

I diluted 0.2ml of tank water with 4.8ml of tap water and it had 0.25ppm of nitrite. That means the current level is 6.25ppm... and before the WC my tank water was 25ppm there wasn't any change in pH though so I'm guessing the cycle didn't stall.

So now I actually know what the nitrite level is... I'm currently wondering whether to do another 50% WC and bring the nitrite to ~3ppm? Or should I leave it at 6.25ppm and let the bacteria in the filter convert it? Let me know what you plantedtankians think

In other news, the bulky piece of driftwood is on the verge of sinking. I can submerge it in water and will just stay there. it's neither sinking nor floating! Weird! I've also found a large container big enough to fully submerge the long piece... which immediately sunk to the bottom (unexpected but great!) I'm just waiting for the smallest piece to sink now but it seems very "knotty"? The grain in the wood twists around so I'm guessing there are knots in it which tend to be quite dense. Anyone you has tried to saw through a tree branch with a knot in it will understand So it doesn't seem to be getting waterlogged as fast as the other pieces, but that's fine. I can always add the 2 big pieces first and get this last one in when it sinks.

And the last update of this session:

I've got a proper tank thermometer now, which seems to be about 4 degrees Celsius different to one I found lying around the house ARGHH I'm so unlucky when it comes to thermometers I want to calibrate my heater but can't when I don't know the water temperature lol

anyway, it's cooled down a lot in my room so the tank has dropped from (apparently) 28degC to (apparently) 23degC. To help with the random 2 day heat waves that happen in the UK, I've ordered two 70mm PC fans and found an adjustable voltage adapter. I'm going to create a circling airflow in the hole at the top of the tank. I don't want to damage/alter the aquarium so I'm going to modify it where the fans are removable AND hidden within the hood. Currently, there isn't a single wire on show and I want to keep it that way. I'll keep you all posted on how this goes.

Thanks for reading!
Rad91
I would leave it for now to let the bacteria build up for a few more days and then do a 20% water change every other day until you get the nitrites where you want them

SparkVillage.com
Tyveck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Radiation91
Algae Grower

29 July - 30 July 2014

Evening all! The tank is going great as far as I can tell. The plants have grown new leaves and the ammonia is being used up quite nicely. I will add some pics soon.

I've added a couple of drops of ammonia daily which brings my tank up to about 0.5ppm in the attempt to prevent nitrites from going off the scale. I can't be certain but I think the nitrites are very close to 5ppm, which is a drop from a few days ago. Hopefully the second phase of the cycle is starting

Also, when I did the WC a few days ago I didn't fill it completely because I was going to get my driftwood in. This has made a problem though... The lower water level means that the water returning from the HOB filter is splashing and hitting the LED light strip. It's supposedly waterproof but the biggest cause of problems with the Fluval Edge is the light strip failing. The water level is probably why! It does actually say to completely fill the tank and have the water 5mm up the hole-rim bit so the light strip is currently sat upright and the plants are living on only natural light for a bit. They have been living on a 12 hour daily photoperiod since I put them in so they should be fully fuelled

Oh and while I remember... I have absolutely no algae at all! Whaaaat? I found some stuff on the gravel and in the hair grass but I think it was the bits of sponge that the plant roots were wrapped in. It looked like little tufts of brown sponge. It looks like my future nerite snails and shrimp will need plenty of algae wafers to make up for the crystal clear tank!

And a final update... I think my thermometer is 4-6 degrees Celsius too high. It was the last one on the shelf when I bought it and it's much higher than both of my heaters and the temperature raised up to 28 degrees Celsius a few days ago... I remember going to Ibiza a few years ago and it was 28 degC and I don't think this room was Ibiza level heat. So I'm going to buy another thermometer (this will be the 4th now) and then I can finally get my fans installed and heater calibrated

That's all for now, thanks for reading!
Rad91
Old 07-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
cjstl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey, congrats! I started back into the hobby with a 12G Edge over a year-and-a-half ago. Still love the tank, it's just really hard to work in.

Regarding your java fern windelov, it is supposed to have brown roots - all java ferns do. It probably started dying because you planted the rhizome and it is supposed to be left exposed. Most people glue or tie their ferns to wood or rocks. Won't be the first mistake you make in this fun but challenging hobby
cjstl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Radiation91
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
it's just really hard to work in.
Yeh! The hole is really small at about shoulder height in the corner. It's a real hassle sorting this thing out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstl View Post
Regarding your java fern windelov, it is supposed to have brown roots - all java ferns do. It probably started dying because you planted the rhizome and it is supposed to be left exposed. Most people glue or tie their ferns to wood or rocks. Won't be the first mistake you make in this fun but challenging hobby
When I bought the windelov only the leaves were showing and the rest of the plant was wrapped in sponge and put in one of those small black plastic pots. I assumed that they were supposed to buried... Hence the pot thanks for letting me know though, it explains why it started to turn black on the ends. Always learning!

I also have an Anubias and the rhizome is completely buried. It won't stay down without the extra bit of substrate over the rhizome. It was temporarily planted until I get the driftwood in... then I can attach it to that instead. I'll sort this out in the morning for sure! The leaves are looking healthy so I'm hoping there's no damage done yet.

Thanks for letting me know about rhizomes... I've never heard about it before
Old 07-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
Radiation91
Algae Grower

31 July 2014

Hi everyone! I'm having a really good day! I've just finished a 4 hour rescape and tidy up of the tank and thought I'd update this journal. I think this might be the first entry that I've done on the day it actually happened I've also realised that the max image size is 250KB, not 75KB so I've (hopefully) got better pictures now.

First things first... I looked up Rhizomes last night after cjstl's comment and decided I should tie the anubias to a piece of driftwood. This obviously meant that I had to add the driftwood to the tank, which caused a cascade of things to be done!

So, first things first... I dug out the anubias, which have grown a 2 new leaves each! I didn't expect them to grow this fast Then I tied them to the piece of driftwood.

I decided to use cotton string instead of fishing line because the roots might attach to it. If this happens then when the anubias attaches to the driftwood, I can cut off the string and the bit attached to the roots can be left on and it will decay or get covered in algae.

Overall, I'm very happy with this... except for the bright white string! It's currently in the tank, resting against the bulky piece of driftwood. It sinks, but it tries so turn upside-down so this long piece is holding it in place

The next thing on the list was to get rid of the spiral val because it turned clear and the surface was "cracked". When I went to pick it up it felt pretty slimy so I'm guessing it wasn't too healthy It's a shame but in retrospect this tank is pretty densely packed! Also the marimo moss ball has a new home!

Safe to say, this probably doesn't need it's own tank journal Ive also decided to split up the eleocharis parvula and lilaeopsis brasiliensis into smaller pieces so that it covers more space. One tuft covering about a square inch goes a long way!

And in to the tank it goes!

It's a bit patchy but I want it to spread out and cover the bottom. And for some reason the camera picks up on the reflection a lot! I'm sat looking at it now and I can barely see any reflections

Now for the rescape... I originally had the limnophila sessiliflora in the center at the back but the HOB poured on to the top of it and dragged it down/forward. This meant that this plant alone was taking over a third of the tank's base. It's now sat at the back right corner with much less flow and its got some good growth! A full set of leaves and a new set about to open... in just one week:

The other limnophila sessiliflora is in the opposite corner, with the same amount of growth, but its thinner (less bushy):

The lilaeopsis brasiliensis, before being split up, had grown several new shoots too:

I've hoovered up all the brown stuff too btw Is it brown algae or the sponge stuff from the plant pots they came in? An ID would be appreciated Anyway... there's the hygrophila siamensis 53b with new leaves:

Not bad to say I haven't used CO2 yet! I thought this would take months before any new growth appeared! I've also cleaned the prefilter sponge too... crikey that thing picks up a lot of debris!

And finally, to update you on how the cycle is going. I haven't done a WC but I have added a couple of drops (0.5ppm) of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. Yesterday night the nitrates were at ~2ppm and today at noon (before the rescape) were at 40ppm I'm assuming that the NO2>NO3 cycle is kicking in but that seems like a REALLY huge jump for 12 hours! Although, I do have a large amount of NO2 in there!

I don't have any pictures of the new setup but I will take some tonight so that I don't get reflections and show you in tomorrow's entry.

As always, thanks for reading!
Rad 91
Old 08-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #14
Radiation91
Algae Grower

1 August 2014

Hey everyone! As promised, I took some photos of the setup last night. The third piece of driftwood is still floating... and doesn't seem to be sinking at all! So that isn't added yet.

I think the CPDs have plenty of space to swim around in and there are big leaves, plants and driftwood to hide in, should they feel the need. The are gaps between the plants and the tank walls so the snails can go all over the walls without a problem. Not to mention, there are nice big leaves for them to clean!

There's plenty of grass and bushy plants so the shrimp have something to play around in. I've also turned the flow rate down to about half way. The water pours back in to the center of the tank (on to the lower anubias) and it isn't too aggressive so I think the shrimp will be able to clean the driftwood.

Does anybody else give their tank this much thought or am I being overly careful?

I'm pretty happy with this so far! The only issue I have with it is the anubias, hygrophila siamensis 53b and the echinodorus bleheri all have round big leaves and are all in the back-left to the center. They blend in a little bit too much. I'm wondering about getting a tall skinny red plant to go between the driftwood and echinodorus bleheri. I'll do some research...

I'm also wondering about floating plants. CPDs love to have stuff to hide under but I currently have the water level about 5mm from the top of the tank. The bubbles that get trapped under there are very annoying! So yeh, floating plants might be a royal pain. Hopefully the corner plants will grow quickly and create a canopy of leaves... then I don't have to worry about it

I also want to give the shrimp and CPDs a chance to breed and I've heard the best way to do this is to get some Java Moss in there. I have 3 areas of substrate that are empty so I could use them, as well as some of the driftwood surface. Should I include some java moss in the tank or would it be easier to wait until the CPDs/Shrimp have mated and then move them into a floating breeder box at the top of the tank with some java moss in it?

Cheers!
Rad91
Old 08-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #15
Radiation91
Algae Grower

2 August 2014

I spent some time today looking at breeding requirements for the fish and shrimp. I don't think I'll be going down the breeding box route or setting up a breeding tank... I don't want to separate a pregnant fish or shrimp and keep them in a smaller box. It seems unnecessary and will probably be more hassle than its worth. I'm just going to use plants to help with the survival of fry

Option 1... Floating plants! I think most floating plants will be an issue with this tank due to the sealed top. If I dropped the water level about 1cm then I could have floating plants but they won't get much light if they float into the corners. Not to mention that the water splashes back onto the light strip. The only suitable floating plant I've found is riccia.

Option 2... sinking plants! While looking at plants, I accidentally ID'd what I thought was limnophila sessiliflora. It's actually cabomba which is great for young fry happy days!! I'll also be getting some java moss soon and that will finish the flora side of this tank.

I'm hoping that the tank will finish cycling in about a week so that I can introduce the new tenants to the tank

Cheers,
Rad91

Tags
celestial pearl danios, crystal red shrimp, first planted, first tank, fluval edge 12g

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.