update:4/14/14 Hand-me-down Evovle4 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

update:4/14/14 Hand-me-down Evovle4

So growing slow, but noticable growth non the less for the moss. Added from frogbit I got from the user drewsuf82 as a free throw in with a recent shipment of plants. Don't know if the light will be enough for the frogbit, if not I'll move it to the 15 gallon. Please pardon the dirty tank I didn't realize the plastic needed cleaned till after.
floating: amazon frogbit
left on rock: weeping moss
middle in "tree": peacock, Singapore, and Christmas moss
bottom: flame moss

the last of the flame moss I pushed between two pieces of mesh, hoping it would grow through the holes, but its looking more like a messy sandwich... maybe it will make a cool hiding spot for the fish once it grows in
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

So the "tree" is starting to fill in more, I can see lots and lots of little Christmas, Singapore, and Peacock moss tips poking through the hairnet now yay! The flame moss seems to be the only one not doing as well in the tank. I don't think its an issue of light or nutrients and Temp is about 77-78F max, it just hasn't gotten the straight upward growth look and has a bit of browning. If it dies I may order some more of a different moss to replace it.
Unfortunately the mazantia is hell bent on having a "fungus covered" phase ever after the several thorough scrubs and boils =.= There are also several frogbits floating around on top of the tank I got as a free throw in with some java fern for my 10 gallon a few weeks ago. They had no roots but are getting some decent long roots and one even became mother plant with an offshoot forgbit attached so they seem to be doing ok at least. I'd planned for them to be in the 10 gallon but the mild current form the HOB pushing them behind the filter and out of the light so they went in here until l I can rig something up (suction cups and fishing line to keep them in one corner).

A few weeks ago the tank was constantly making an intensely annoying clicking noise so after removing all variables, it was determined its the pump clicking when it has back pressure from the outflow being covered. After much tinkering my hubby made a quick temperary spray bar from left-over siphon tubing and re-wrapped the pump in foam to keep it form vibrating in the back chamber. No more clicking and gentle-er water flow now. Its not the prettiest to look at but he's looking into ordering small parts to make a much more professionally done spraybar (lfs don't carrying squat for supplies and the hardware stores only have fittings he wants in brass not pvc/plastic).

My husband also finally replaced the cheap looking lid that comes with the Evovle4 with a home made one from Lexan polycarbonate (like a flexible glass/plastic.. you can find it of cheap at HomeDepo and just need a metal or plastic cutting bade (lots of small teeth) on a circular saw or jig-saw to cut it). Anyways when he measured the tank to cut the lid it became apparent the cheap plastic of the Evovle4 can't handle the pressure 3 gallons of water, it was warped and no-where-near straight squared/rectangular, its bowed. So he cut the tabs of the original hood and super glued them onto the new one he made and left a little room in case the tank expands more. So its not a super tight fitting top, but its 1000x better looking than the old one.. will share photos eventually.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #18
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default Dreaded Hair algae

Well the moss is growing slowly but noticeable, but unfortunately there appears to be some hair algae growing on top of the "tree" moss that I'm going to have to deal with. I hope dosing hydrogen peroxide won't kill the moss. No updated photos yet, will try to add some after getting rid of the algae though.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 AM   #19
Regenesis
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd love to see some more pictures
Old 01-04-2014, 03:59 AM   #20
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I dose the heck out of hydrogen peroxide for algae. My moss and plants seem to do just fine. I make sure I dont go over 3 ml per gallon though.
tenzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #21
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzero1 View Post
I dose the heck out of hydrogen peroxide for algae. My moss and plants seem to do just fine. I make sure I dont go over 3 ml per gallon though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenesis View Post
I'd love to see some more pictures

Had diatoms on the rock, hair algae in the "tree", and fungus on the driftwood so gutted and cleaned everything. I did a dip with diluted peroxide for the tree moss and used a toothbrush and fingers to get out most of it I could find then scrubbed the crap out of the stone. Hubby scrubbed down the driftwood and mounted it on a thin/flat piece of wood to anchor better into the substrate without leaning. Then my husband put everything back together (and got to experience the frustration of trying to aquascape in a small space). Will clean the walls and take a photo tomorrow when the lights on hopefully (if I remember to) ^^ Hoping if I cut back on the amount of ammonia I feed the beneficial bacteria it will cut back the excess nutrient and stop (or slow) algae blooms.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 AM   #22
DTDPlanted
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Keep on truckin! I think one of the strangest things I have noticed with acrylic tanks is there seems to be a bigger swing from good to bad experiences than their glass counterparts. My Evolve 4 has been functioning fine with no complaints since i got it months ago. I hope yours settles in and turns out to be a nice habitat!
DTDPlanted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #23
Coldwater King
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Any other flora than moss?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #24
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry for the delay n photo update. Its hard to get a good shot that shows how much moss and grown out of the net now but its defiantly noticeable.
Husband's view of the tank:

My view of the tank:

There's no green algae on the rock that's just light bouncing off the moss making it look green

Hubby is already planning some changes to try to make a better carpet since the flame moss doesn't seem to be doing too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwater King View Post
Any other flora than moss?
There's floating frogbit as well, not a whole lot though. I am hesitant to put it in the 10 gallon as I've heard dwarf gouramis will eat/peck it apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDPlanted View Post
Keep on truckin! I think one of the strangest things I have noticed with acrylic tanks is there seems to be a bigger swing from good to bad experiences than their glass counterparts. My Evolve 4 has been functioning fine with no complaints since i got it months ago. I hope yours settles in and turns out to be a nice habitat!
Thank you, I hope so too. One nice thing about taking so long to get the fish in is we can settle everything out with the plants and scape first ^^.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 01-10-2014 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: photo blow out
Old 01-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #25
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Angry I hate Aquaon Evolves

I've been bad at updating and apaprently at keeping the tanks nitrates down, as hair algae has been running rampant in the hairnet of moss. I did a 80-100% total in water changes today (i can still taste the nasty water from doing old school siphoning yuck) and am starting a double dose of Excel to see if that nips this in the bum. Personally I hate this tank and every time I do a water change I see just how horrible the filter is at catching debris even with the added pads and such. Also, even with my husbands improved spray bar there's still bio film on the surface and it just frustrates me. I want to throw it out but my husband wants to use it.. even though its a piece of [censor]. I am seriously considering just getting him a whole new (good) set up and putting this thing in the trash where it belongs.

Aside from the frustrations, the mixed moss for the tree has been growing out well.. the flame moss still looks dead and the weeping moss kinda fell off its anchor and I'm guessing got tangled into the tree's mosses.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Haven't updated this one in a while... Moss tree is still growing (both moss and hair algae..) all the flame moss has been removed since 70+% was dead and really jacking up the nitrates from its decomp and just making it harder to fight the algae problem. I pulled out the few tiny survivors I could and have them on the windowsill with the other no-techs trying to revitalize them. I suspect it mostly died off because the tank temp reached 80+ for a few days (oops) pretty sure flame moss likes low 70s at the very max.
The tank now has jungle val babies (under 5 inches tall) and needle leaf java fern on its substrate. I've been having a hard time getting the camera to take a non blurred photo. Still no fauna just doing ammonia daily, I'm also doing 0.6ml excel daily to try to deal with the hair algae.. its reduced but not gone.
A while ago my husband made a spray bar (better than the original large clear one) you can see all the bubbles its making on the right (also bubbles from just finishing water change in there). its held on with two tiny suction cups. NL java fern just weighted down with some large beads, will properly anchor at a later point.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #27
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Going to be tearing this sob down soon! Its become an algae nightmare (found out the simple timer had a few extra hours pushed in in the early am (opps)) treatments haven't really gotten rid of the hair algae, and nothing has done much growing since the photo (except said hair algae). The crap lights are already flickering/dieing so turned those off today to stop headaches...

I've ordered and received most things for a mr. aqua 12g long for my husbands desk (forever waiting on the back ordered tank...) have a eheim jagar heater, ehiem 2211 canister, black diamond 'sand' and sat + LED light for the new tank. Will make a new thread for it once the tank gets here and i can start cycling the mofo.

Tags
fresh water aquarium, journal, planted nano tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.