pH drop
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-04-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
fishgutz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey guys I have a 5 month old 22 gal heavily planted tank. I just started using C02 in the past couple of days. I am using the yeast in the bottle method. My pH dropped from over seven down to the low six's. I realize that the hardnes of my water must be low. Do you think I should be concerned with the pH drop? Will the tank balance itself out? The plants look great (noticeable difference in two days) but I am concerned about the fish. Any opinions?
fishgutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Thats a large ph swing. Have you tested your KH yet? You should try to bring up your KH to between 3-5. If its already that high, you are probably injecting too much CO2. Try to keep your ph above 6.6. There aren't too many fish that like it much below that. The PH drop probably happened over a period of a couple of days. But when the CO2 runs out it'll rise rapidly and that might not be the best thing for your fish, Try to stabilize it a little by buffering the water or reducing your co2 production or both.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote