10 Gallon Medium Tech Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP
 
GDominy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Victoria,British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,363
Default

10 Gallon Medium Tech Build


So after the 70 Gallon proved itself unsuitable for shrimp, I decided to set up a nano tank.

As it turns out I still have piles of useful equipment laying around, all I was missing was a tank. I traded a couple of older Tunze powerheads I had laying around for this kit:



The kit itself is nothing fancy, just your average hagen tank. But hey beggars cant be choosers. This was collecting dust in bosses garage and had never been used. He was happy to trade.



I hate the lid. I mean, I really really hate it. Its also incandescent so its virtually useless to me anyway.



Pleasantly surprised to discover its a rimless tank under that lid!

So now I have a rimless tank (for the top edge anyway). I may leave the bottom trim on for rigidity as the desk that it will be going on has less support on one corner (but is more then capable of supporting the tank weight, I'm just concerned about long term potential warping)

Now, with no lid I need to think about lighting. Decided not to use my 24 LED panel I have built as I think it will be too bright, and I want to save it for a cube tank down the road.

As luck were have it, I still have a first gen Marineland Reef Bright LED fixture. I won this fixture at Macna 2010 and used to use it for growing Mangroves in my old reef.



little grimey...



Still Works!



Moonlights only:



Now for control and automation. If you have ever followed my threads you'll know I'm kind of mental when it comes to my toys. I love automating things and this tank will be no different. For automation I decided to go with a Profilux II Light (which I already had laying around). This controller has a temperature probe, 4 x 0-10V sockets for controlling things like dimmable lighting, and 4 x controllable power outlets.

This controller will simply turn the lights on and off, control the temperature (by turning the heater on and off), and will dose Flourish excel automatically every day (by turning on an aqualifter connected to a reservoir of flourish excel). I will have to fertilize manually, but in a small tank that's pretty minor stuff.



This should look ok I think. Nothing too crazy, but will be fun as a scrounge project. All I need is to buy a bag of eco complete and this thing will be ready to go. Already have the Wood, and HC to start it off.

GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,223
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

I had one of those tanks, really nice for the money. My silicone work was good on the corners, not so good where you can see under the rim. Now there are cheaper alternatives but it's an easy way to get a rimless top.

I see you already bought a light but if you don't like it, it's pretty easy to take out the guts of the incandescent hood, make a housing, and put some CFL's in. Then you get the rimless look without much work on the lighting.

Looking forward to this, loved my old Marina 10 gallon. I accidentally cracked the front glass taking out rocks. Luckily it was empty.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
Idrankwhat
Planted Member
 
Idrankwhat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 237
Default

That Marineland Reef LED fixture might not be the best for a planted setup. They come with 10k's and moonlight/actinics - more for marine use than freshwater planted. Love the rimless look of the tank though. It'll look cool if you leave the lid and trim off.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #4
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP
 
GDominy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Victoria,British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrankwhat View Post
That Marineland Reef LED fixture might not be the best for a planted setup. They come with 10k's and moonlight/actinics - more for marine use than freshwater planted. Love the rimless look of the tank though. It'll look cool if you leave the lid and trim off.
I have used this light for growing plants for 3 years. The leds are actually more like 8000k and are ample. Im using a much bluer led rig on my 70 gallon, this will be plenty!

I have been using 10k bulbs primarily for my planted tanks since 2002 as I prefer the bluer light. I sometimes augment the light with a bit of extra red to get higher contrast, but its almost as good as a 6500k equivalent.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP
 
GDominy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Victoria,British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I had one of those tanks, really nice for the money. My silicone work was good on the corners, not so good where you can see under the rim. Now there are cheaper alternatives but it's an easy way to get a rimless top.

I see you already bought a light but if you don't like it, it's pretty easy to take out the guts of the incandescent hood, make a housing, and put some CFL's in. Then you get the rimless look without much work on the lighting.

Looking forward to this, loved my old Marina 10 gallon. I accidentally cracked the front glass taking out rocks. Luckily it was empty.

Im sticking with leds. If I didnt use this older light I would have been using some of my other custom made led panels. I want the open top look to match the other tank.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Idrankwhat
Planted Member
 
Idrankwhat's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 237
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
I have used this light for growing plants for 3 years. The leds are actually more like 8000k and are ample. Im using a much bluer led rig on my 70 gallon, this will be plenty!

I have been using 10k bulbs primarily for my planted tanks since 2002 as I prefer the bluer light. I sometimes augment the light with a bit of extra red to get higher contrast, but its almost as good as a 6500k equivalent.
Well tried is certainly true then. Can't wait to see what you make with it.
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #7
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,223
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy View Post
Im sticking with leds. If I didnt use this older light I would have been using some of my other custom made led panels. I want the open top look to match the other tank.
Totally understand. I was just saying if you get sick of the Reef light, which it doesn't seem like you are, you can build something.

Here is my old Marina where I took the guts of the lights to make a new one. It could be much more attractive with more work but this is more what I was saying:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=103106
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Miles
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Miles's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Poulsbo, WA
Posts: 417
Default

Subscribed! I JUST bought one of those too, picked up an aquaticlife 20" T5 fixture for it. Excited to see what you do! I'm thinking about trying hairgrass for the first time.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP
 
GDominy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Victoria,British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Totally understand. I was just saying if you get sick of the Reef light, which it doesn't seem like you are, you can build something.

Here is my old Marina where I took the guts of the lights to make a new one. It could be much more attractive with more work but this is more what I was saying:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=103106
Nice looking tank! Ive modded a few of those fixtures like that in the past.

I actually have a stockpile of LED parts I have saved from my previous builbs. If I do replace the marineland unit (which I may), I will be installing a custom one I have already that allows for dimmable lighting.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP
 
GDominy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Victoria,British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Subscribed! I JUST bought one of those too, picked up an aquaticlife 20" T5 fixture for it. Excited to see what you do! I'm thinking about trying hairgrass for the first time.
I like those fixtures, but the bulbs are almost impossible to find locally and would have to ship up from the states. Bulb availability here was one of the reasons I decided to go LED a few years ago. Getting the right bulbs for what I was doing with my tanks was getting increasingly more difficult (and costly).

You guys are lucky in the states, you have much lower prices and better availability!
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #11
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP
 
GDominy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Victoria,British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,363
Default

First fill. Should start planting tomorrow.

GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #12
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP
 
GDominy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Victoria,British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,363
Default

First round of planting tonight... HC carpet, and HM in the corner. Havent decided what else to plant in here yet. Hope I can get my hands on some fissidens but it's difficult to find here..

GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP
 
GDominy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Victoria,British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,363
Default

Well, about a month has gone by.. things are growing in nicely..



This tank now houses 5 pea puffers. They did not do well in the main tank so we are trying them in here now.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
carpalstunna's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: canton, ohio
Posts: 481
Default

Very nice
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #15
zetvi
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
zetvi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Florence Al
Posts: 310
Default

That HC and HM is filling in way TOO quick!!!! Share the trick please!!! ( subtrate/dosing and lighting schedule/ and also it doesnt look like it has co2 does it?)
zetvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012