10 Gal planted dirted work tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Asu1776
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (33/100%)

Yeah, I avoided the "path" design because I knew with my tendency to rescape, that I would simply just mix all the colors of gravel. I think people generally use sand as a the cap over dirty, maybe because the finer particles hold the dirt down better. Show us a picture of your tank when you have time to rescape. If it helps, I did a drawing/ blueprint of my tank before I rescaped to make sure I knew what I was doing.
Asu1776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
rininger85
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

this is just my second tank that I've tried planting, first one all I did was stick plants in, nothing fancy, this one I'm trying to make look a bit better but its trashed now... gonna run to the LFS to find some dark sand tonight then will redo the red path... will post a pic tonight of what it looks like, meant to take one this morning but forgot =|
rininger85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #18
rininger85
Planted Member

here is how the tank looks now, after planting... its still kind of a mess... I ran to petsmart and picked up some black Tahitian moon sand (I think that's what it was called anyway) that I'm going to cap over the gravel to hopefully make it look better... I only bought 5lbs though, so I'm hoping it will be enough to cap it to make it look better because I didn't want to buy 20lbs of it...

I'll siphon it out when I get home tomorrow and cap the sand without much / any water in it and then refill it and hopefully it will look a lot better when I'm done...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-10-21 20.07.11.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	225225  

Old 10-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
rininger85
Planted Member

Here is an updated picture after I added the Tahitian moon sand... I like the looks of it a lot better now, I think I'm good to go now unless I have to redo things as plants start to grow... otherwise I'm happy with the look for now... I think it looks a lot sharper with the black sand and red gravel road (almost a country song... red dirt road... red rock road...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-10-22 16.51.50.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	225761  

Old 10-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #20
rininger85
Planted Member

Yay! I moved my tank to work this past weekend (Sunday 10/27/13), it has been receiving quite a bit of attention this week with just the plants in it... I've been testing my water the last couple of days and finally hit 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite! It's ready to go! Taking tomorrow off, but will plan on starting to stock it next week...

I'm still debating about what I want to stock it with. I have my guppies, mollies reproducing like crazy in my 55, but I don't know if I want to keep going with them or stock something different... I only have 4 or 5 adult guppies and 2 adult mollies in the 55, the rest are so small they don't really have any color to them yet (except some of the guppies I can tell are from my one female guppy with a gray body and blue tail, those babies stuck out since day 1 with their blue tails)...

I don't have any algae eaters at home (but might have to add some again...) thinking I will try and find some amano shrimp maybe... but my local stores don't stock shrimp (other than ghost shrimp, which are still a cool addition to the tank, just not very useful for algae). I already have some algae growth in the work tank, so will add something to start cleaning up... I have had terrible luck with plecos, I did have a Chinese algae eater that lasted a long time until my tank crashed, might get another one of those, but they get so ugly when they get bigger... idk! Maybe I'll head to the LFS tomorrow and see what catches my eye...
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #21
rininger85
Planted Member

took the day off today, went to 3 different LFS to see what was going on... last stop was at Petsmart, they had really good prices on a bunch of their fish... so I bought a dozen neon tetras and took 6 of them to work and gave a co-worker directions to float the fish for 30 minutes then dump them in... so hopefully she managed that without a problem.. the other 6 I brought home to add more color to my 55 at home... also added some ghost shrimp to the 55.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #22
annyann
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rininger85 View Post
took the day off today, went to 3 different LFS to see what was going on... last stop was at Petsmart, they had really good prices on a bunch of their fish... so I bought a dozen neon tetras and took 6 of them to work and gave a co-worker directions to float the fish for 30 minutes then dump them in... so hopefully she managed that without a problem.. the other 6 I brought home to add more color to my 55 at home... also added some ghost shrimp to the 55.
That sounds cool, are you still going to put some of your fry in?
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
rininger85
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annyann View Post
That sounds cool, are you still going to put some of your fry in?
I plan on it, just waiting until they get bigger so I can tell what's what... my tank is overrun by fry of three or four different colors, can't tell guppies from mollies yet (except for 2 older fry that are getting the big molly body on them already), but I want to see what colors I get when they grow out before I bring them to work.

Also kind of debating about other fish instead of the guppies/mollies... I like my guppies and mollies, but I am considering something else just to have something different at work than at home... since I don't want to put something in at home that will eat my fry... I was thinking about maybe adding a betta, but with so many fry at home I think the betta would eat them... so maybe I'll put a betta in the work tank and not worry if it eats any fry that are born (after my initial fry grow big enough to not be eaten)

Just an update on the tank this morning, I came in this morning and all 6 neons are good and active so must have gone OK acclimating temp/dumping them in, then my co-worker who did it tells me she went and bought her son a 2.5 gallon tank over the weekend and bought him 3 neons and a snail for it too... woo hoo! I got someone else hooked on fish =)

unfortunately, she claims she has had fish in the past so she isn't listening to my advice... before I brought my tank to work she was asking what was taking so long and I told her I was cycling the tank at home before bringing it to work... she told me she always just dumped her fish in the tank without cycling it and never had problems... so this morning I asked what kind of filter came with the tank she had and offered to let her take my dirty filter home to help cycle her sons tank and she tells me she doesn't need it... tried to explain the nitrogen cycle and she looked at me cross eyed... tried explaining to her that just dumping fish in isn't going to immediately create ammonia, that there has to be something in the tank to decompose to create ammonia, so while they might be OK now, once you've fed them for a few days and they've pooped for a few days there will be ammonia and it will kill the fish... she tells me "they'll be OK, I put the conditioner stuff in and their fine"... tried to explain that the conditioner is just to remove chlorine, not to cycle a tank... she tells me its OK that she has had fish tanks for a long time when she was younger... poor kid is going to be heart broken when his fish die because she won't listen to me, but guess I can say "told ya so!" when it happens...
Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
annyann
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rininger85 View Post
I plan on it, just waiting until they get bigger so I can tell what's what... my tank is overrun by fry of three or four different colors, can't tell guppies from mollies yet (except for 2 older fry that are getting the big molly body on them already), but I want to see what colors I get when they grow out before I bring them to work.

Also kind of debating about other fish instead of the guppies/mollies... I like my guppies and mollies, but I am considering something else just to have something different at work than at home... since I don't want to put something in at home that will eat my fry... I was thinking about maybe adding a betta, but with so many fry at home I think the betta would eat them... so maybe I'll put a betta in the work tank and not worry if it eats any fry that are born (after my initial fry grow big enough to not be eaten)

Just an update on the tank this morning, I came in this morning and all 6 neons are good and active so must have gone OK acclimating temp/dumping them in, then my co-worker who did it tells me she went and bought her son a 2.5 gallon tank over the weekend and bought him 3 neons and a snail for it too... woo hoo! I got someone else hooked on fish =)

unfortunately, she claims she has had fish in the past so she isn't listening to my advice... before I brought my tank to work she was asking what was taking so long and I told her I was cycling the tank at home before bringing it to work... she told me she always just dumped her fish in the tank without cycling it and never had problems... so this morning I asked what kind of filter came with the tank she had and offered to let her take my dirty filter home to help cycle her sons tank and she tells me she doesn't need it... tried to explain the nitrogen cycle and she looked at me cross eyed... tried explaining to her that just dumping fish in isn't going to immediately create ammonia, that there has to be something in the tank to decompose to create ammonia, so while they might be OK now, once you've fed them for a few days and they've pooped for a few days there will be ammonia and it will kill the fish... she tells me "they'll be OK, I put the conditioner stuff in and their fine"... tried to explain that the conditioner is just to remove chlorine, not to cycle a tank... she tells me its OK that she has had fish tanks for a long time when she was younger... poor kid is going to be heart broken when his fish die because she won't listen to me, but guess I can say "told ya so!" when it happens...
LOL! It is frusterating when you have the info people need and they wont take it. Oh well, you tried. I would'nt think of it again. Sounds like she wants to do it her way.
Oh boy!! A Betta would be awsome in your work tank, of course there my favorite fish
It wont take to long till your fry get big I guess. You can pick out your best colors for keeps huh? That's a good way to get some fish you really love.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
rininger85
Planted Member

haven't updated here in a while. The last picture was on 10/22, so in this update the first picture is 11/4, then 12/3, and then 12/10 just to show some of the growth. The DHG is really spreading and filling in nicely. The Hygrophila corymbosa is growing really nicely too, in the 11/4 picture you can see it was tall and all stem, then the top broke off so I planted it, and you can see just in the last week how much it has grown, plus I have two more pieces now that broke off that I planted this morning. My HC looks much healthier than it did initially when I took it out of my 55 and put it in here, it does seem to have a little growth as well, albeit very slow growth...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-11-04_10.30.43.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	245041  

Name:	2013-12-03_06.59.17.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	245049  

Name:	2013-12-10_08.17.56.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	245057  

Old 12-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #26
rininger85
Planted Member

also, I added 6 neon tetras to the tank you can see in the 11/4 picture, a few weeks later I added a betta and a gold algae eater. Sadly something must have been wrong with one of the tetras, it was acting really funny one day then the next day I came in and saw half its body by where the betta was resting... then a few days later the betta died. I put about a dozen ghost shrimp in and have had a few of those die off in the last couple weeks. Last week I brought in 10 guppy fry from my 55 and 1 molly fry that were all born in my tank at home, and they all seem to be doing well so far. I'll probably go get some more ghost shrimp for both this tank and my home tank because they seem to be really good scavengers...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looks like you are getting some good growth!
Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #28
rininger85
Planted Member

I can't believe how fast things are growing now... I lifted the lid and my dwarf onion plants that I just trimmed down to the water line last week is already back to the top of my hood, and the three broken pieces of Hygrophila corymbosa that I planted in the middle of the tank have basically doubled in size just this week I think... and two of them just got planted there 2 days ago! I'll try to remember to take another picture tomorrow, I'm just amazed at how quickly they are growing right now! Either my T5HO lights on my 55 at home aren't strong enough for the depth of the tank or its time to replace bulbs or something... my plants at home aren't growing nearly as fast as the plants at work...
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #29
rininger85
Planted Member

against my better judgment I decided to add snails to my work tank to help clean up in between my cleanings... so this morning I brought in 6 MTS, 2 pond, and 1 ramshorn snails from my 55 gal tank at home. First thing I notice the MTS are staging a coup... either that or I caught a wild orgy first thing after being placed in their new tank...

I noticed that I have undeniable growth from my HC now. In the picture I put the box around the original HC that I planted, you can see the HC above that its starting to spread nicely. Slower than my DHG but at least its growing! Proof that you don't need high tech CO2 set ups to grow HC! I'm doing it with a 13W and 18W spiral CFL bulb and Flourish excel and a dirty tank...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-12-17_06.34.15.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	247817  

Name:	2013-12-17_06.34.35.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	247825  

Old 12-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
rininger85
Planted Member

ignore the algae in the HC... I need to clean that up, its been that way for a long time but hasn't spread so I've left it alone... now that I took a close up picture of it, its going to bother me and force me to try and manually remove it.

Tags
10 gallon planted tank, dirted tank, low light plants, low tech plants