Live foods
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Live foods

So I have a jaguar cichlid about 4in long. Would it be dangerous to feed him small feeder insects from the pet store? I mainly concerned about because they swallow pretty whole and alive could the insect cause internal dance to him?
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Michael M
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper01 View Post
So I have a jaguar cichlid about 4in long. Would it be dangerous to feed him small feeder insects from the pet store? I mainly concerned about because they swallow pretty whole and alive could the insect cause internal dance to him?
I don't think an occasional cricket will do any harm. I would stay away from mealworms and their ilk though.
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fluker's Freeze dried cricket's found in reptile section at Petco were well received by cichlid's I have kept.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (40/100%)

I had a managuense not to long ago as well and I fed him a staple of live insects, meal worms, crickets, pond and bladder snails. He loved it. And grew really fast as well. Never showed signs of illness, and it promoted his natural hunting skills. Also you can feed rosy minnows when he gets old enough and eventually gold fish feeders

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
I had a managuense not to long ago as well and I fed him a staple of live insects, meal worms, crickets, pond and bladder snails. He loved it. And grew really fast as well. Never showed signs of illness, and it promoted his natural hunting skills. Also you can feed rosy minnows when he gets old enough and eventually gold fish feeders

Would not offer feeder fish unless...I was raising the feeder's .
Store bought feeder's are often kept in crowded tank's ,poor water condition's = many sick feeder's,parasites,bacterial pathogen's.
All it takes,, is one sick feeder fish to bring these issues to otherwise healthy fish once your fish ingest's the sick fish or fishes.
Thiaminase content of feeder's can also present vitamin deficency, and or fishes become easily bloated from too much animal protein's that digestive process can't quickly handle.
Better to offer bit's of krill,shrimp,in moderation, along with vegetable content from food's rich in them, such as New Life Spectrum for large fish.
Fishes will often refuse much more nutritional food's, once feeder fish make the menu. Can be hard after that to wean them off of them, for many folk's don't like fasting,or starving,their fish to try and get them interested in prepared food's once again.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

Feeders are ok if you know where the Lfs gets them from and know there water conditions. I fed them two times a week and god them from a reliable source. Never had a problem once

Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

But then again I also fed guppies, barbs and mollies to my jaguar to give him a variety, gut loaded the crickets on fish food as well. I had him from 2 inches long until he got to be a foot and then had to re home him

Old 10-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

More nutritional value in pellet food's,other prepared food's than feeder's.No thiaminase ,zero chance of introducing parasites or other pathogen's,and fishes can and do grow just as well without feeder's.
Hardly anyone, other than those who derive some sort of perverse pleasure from offering feeder's does so anymore for reason's already mentioned.
Much healthier food's on the market today.To each their own.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

I agree everyone has there own way of feeding haha, I didn't get joy out of it though I wanted to more a less create his natural food menu and keep his instinctive huntings rights, he was a corpward thoug I have to admit, I point my finger at him and he would go hide. But he loved to watch me clean my other tanks and research on the internet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.