Need some advise on 10 gallon fish selection
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Mr.Betta
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need some advise on 10 gallon fish selection

I'm starting up a 10 gallon shrimp/fish tank. I have 4 guppies right now (in another tank, but will most likely be rehomed to the 10). I don't want to over stock or end up with shrimp bodies all over or unhappy fish.
I was thinking of some combination of the fish below not sure on numbers though. I'm not really looking to get ALL of these fish just the best mix. I do like variety.

Threadfin Rainbows
Guppies
Female Betta maybe Male?
Balloon Mollies (I know poopy, but I love them)
Platy (Blue Micky Mouse)
Sparkling Gourami
Highfin Moons

Also what is the viability of some Green Tiger Barbs (or Barbs of the larger sort) sharing a 29 gallon with some Spotted Leaf fish (the African Leaf fish at Petsmart lol) maybe a Green Kissing Gourami?
Mr.Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

If you want shrimp, don't add the fish in. Unless its heavily panted your shrimp will be food, and even if it is heavily planted, they will survive, not multiply like they would with out fish in it.

Don't put the male and female betta together, I wouldn't put mollies in that small of tank personal, or platies,
Old 09-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Research the optimum water parameters for each species of fish, and the shrimp you want. Are they compatible? GH, KH, pH, temperature, other.
Most fish that are large enough to eat shrimp WILL eat shrimp.

Threadfin Rainbows- often just fine with shrimp, too shy to get along with many other fish. A colony of Threadfins and Shrimp is a good mix in a 10.
Guppies- OK, do you have males, females or a mix? If you can keep the shrimp you want in the water Guppies like, go for it. Not saying they won't eat the shrimp, so have it well planted.
Female Betta maybe Male?- Forget the cocktail sauce! The shrimp won't last long enough to need it. F Bettas can get along, perhaps 3 in a 10 gallon, but this is not a shrimp tank. One M Betta, with some other fish can be OK. Watch it. Some males are OK in a community set up, others do not get along. I have Endlers, some dwarf Rasboras, and Panda Cories, with my Betta, and he does not even eat the fry.
Balloon Mollies (I know poopy, but I love them)- NO. Do not support the breeding of such distorted, unhealthy fish. Regular Mollies can be somewhat pushy, and do not work in a 10. I had one female claim all of a 45 gallon tank. The other Mollies went and hid near the bottom.
Platy (Blue Micky Mouse)- You could keep 3 Platies in a 10, but no shrimp, and have a plan for the babies (if you have F Platies)
Sparkling Gourami- Can work in a small community. Do some more research. Might work with the Threadfins.
Highfin Moons- different color of Platy? Same comments.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You need to keep the female bettas in groups of at least 5, which can fit in a 10g so long as they are the only occupants and the tank is decently filtered with weekly water changes if at least 40 percent. I have a sorority tank and it's great.
P.S. do some research on female betta sorority tank.
fishkeeper01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Suzie Q
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Betta View Post
I'm starting up a 10 gallon shrimp/fish tank. I have 4 guppies right now (in another tank, but will most likely be rehomed to the 10). I don't want to over stock or end up with shrimp bodies all over or unhappy fish.
I was thinking of some combination of the fish below not sure on numbers though. I'm not really looking to get ALL of these fish just the best mix. I do like variety.

Threadfin Rainbows
Guppies
Female Betta maybe Male?
Balloon Mollies (I know poopy, but I love them)
Platy (Blue Micky Mouse)
Sparkling Gourami
Highfin Moons

Also what is the viability of some Green Tiger Barbs (or Barbs of the larger sort) sharing a 29 gallon with some Spotted Leaf fish (the African Leaf fish at Petsmart lol) maybe a Green Kissing Gourami?
Agreed with the comment about having a shrimp only tank!!! Shrimp (unless it is a large breed shrimp), and fish don't mix. I've tried and pretty much lost my entire RCS colony.

10g is a small tank...too small for a sorority of Betta girls. Bettas prefer a tank with very little water movement. The splendid are are bubblenesters, so they live in areas with little or no water movement. For a sorority, I'd suggest no smaller then a HEAVILY planted 20g with 10 girls.

I also feel a 10g is too small for Mollies of any type, plus they are brackish water and not actually fresh water (plus the Mollies will overpopulate the tank quickly)

Guppies would be a good choice, but those too will overpopulate the tank too quickly. I prefer Endler's Livebearers instead of guppies. They are a cousin to wild guppies and WILL crossbreed (for breeders of true endler's, this is frowned upon), and true endler's will not overpopulate or eat their young.

Same with platies...will overpopulate quickly if you keep males and female...or just females of any livebearer (except the Endler's).

Gourami(s) are too aggressive for a 10g. Kissing Gourami...when they "kiss", they are actually fighting .

I don't know anything about the Rainbows or Highfin Moons.

Hope this has helped

BTW...where in Texas?

Lori (from Texas).
Suzie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Mr.Betta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune_Gem View Post
If you want shrimp, don't add the fish in. Unless its heavily panted your shrimp will be food, and even if it is heavily planted, they will survive, not multiply like they would with out fish in it.

Don't put the male and female betta together, I wouldn't put mollies in that small of tank personal, or platies,

I've got Rainbow shrimp and Blueberry shrimp with 5 guppies and a betta. I've got some berried females and everyone gets along just fine. I make sure and check the bettas personality before I buy it and make sure it's not overly aggressive. I also have a mesh net to see how they react or if I need to separate.

I DID NOT mean put males and females together I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, but I would never do so unless trying to spawn and even then reluctantly with out a TON of research and prep.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
Mr.Betta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper01 View Post
You need to keep the female bettas in groups of at least 5, which can fit in a 10g so long as they are the only occupants and the tank is decently filtered with weekly water changes if at least 40 percent. I have a sorority tank and it's great.
P.S. do some research on female betta sorority tank.

I was under the impression you could have a trio of females that were from the same batch, but it's a risk either way as fights can break out in any number of females and can place stress on them with the pecking order and so I'll have one little girl. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
Mr.Betta
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie Q View Post
Agreed with the comment about having a shrimp only tank!!! Shrimp (unless it is a large breed shrimp), and fish don't mix. I've tried and pretty much lost my entire RCS colony.

10g is a small tank...too small for a sorority of Betta girls. Bettas prefer a tank with very little water movement. The splendid are are bubblenesters, so they live in areas with little or no water movement. For a sorority, I'd suggest no smaller then a HEAVILY planted 20g with 10 girls.

I also feel a 10g is too small for Mollies of any type, plus they are brackish water and not actually fresh water (plus the Mollies will overpopulate the tank quickly)

Guppies would be a good choice, but those too will overpopulate the tank too quickly. I prefer Endler's Livebearers instead of guppies. They are a cousin to wild guppies and WILL crossbreed (for breeders of true endler's, this is frowned upon), and true endler's will not overpopulate or eat their young.

Same with platies...will overpopulate quickly if you keep males and female...or just females of any livebearer (except the Endler's).

Gourami(s) are too aggressive for a 10g. Kissing Gourami...when they "kiss", they are actually fighting .

I don't know anything about the Rainbows or Highfin Moons.

Hope this has helped

BTW...where in Texas?

Lori (from Texas).
I currently have a little party of 5 MALE (I should have said I try to never mix female and male live breeders like guppies and mollies..etc) mixed guppies, a tiny little girl betta, blueberry and Malaysian Rainbow shrimp pretty heavily plant with drift wood and a lava rock. (yes a sponge filter too, with a spray bar gonna get a little canister one soon)

I've had a Kissing Gourami before and it would NEVER be for a 10 gallon it gets to be 6in that's cruel and it would eat shrimps like candy. It was for a separate 29 gallon which now houses barbs and a "Ctenopoma Acutirostre"