Fish list for a 75g - feed-back please
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
cowfish007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fish list for a 75g - feed-back please

This is going to be my first largish planted tank. I borke down a 75g reef and am converting it to a freshwater planted tank. There will be several large pieces of manzanita for hardscape and the substrate will be MGOPS with an Eco complete cap. The aquarium will be heaivly planted with DHG for a carpet and a variety of other plants (Camboba, wisteria, moss for the wood, etc.) Filtration will be an Ehiem 2217 (may get another if necessary) and I can add powerheads as needed for optimum flow. pH will be about 6.8 and the temp will run 78-80 F via heaters. I'll be dosing Excel/Metricide, dry ferts as necessary and may purchase co2 in the future.

Currently my fish list is

15-20 cardinal tetras
7 Glass catfish
5 Bosemani Rainbows or 7 Praecox Rainbows
1-2 bristlenose plecos
1 German Blue Ram
1 Pearl Gouramis
1 Apistogramma cacatuoides (Double red)
3-5 male guppies
3 Denison Barbs
A bunch of amano shrimp and nerite snails.

I'd like to get a school of corys, but am concerned that the temp will be too high for them.

What do you think of the list?
cowfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
JustJen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

78-80 should be fine for most cories (my tanks run 76-80 and I have cories in all of them). I have schwartz, peppered, albino, agassizi, and pygmy cories, and the only ones that research indicated wouldn't like the warmer temps were the pygmies, and they were still fine up to 78-79 (so they wound up in one of my cooler tanks). I know panda's like cooler temps, but think most of the others (at least the commonly available ones) are good with warmer temps as long as it's not excessively warm (82+).
JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Your planned stocking number of fish for the 75 gal is fine, but I'm not sure that good compatibility between all those species would be acceptable on an ongoing basis. Example: The Bosmanis & the Denison Barbs can get quite large, are fast-moving, active fish, and can get somewhat aggressive during feeding - and that might not auger well for the likes of Tetras or Glass catfish. Not sure about the eventual size of the Apistos. Suggest you might do well to research compatibility issues between those species to satisfy yourself that you will be proceeding in the right direction with your community group.
Other than that, 1 each of GBR and Pearl Gourami should be fine (generally placid/non-aggressive), but getting 2 or more of either kind could cause some problems especially if they pair up and have spawning in mind.
And BTW, Cories are fine at the temps you mentioned and are excellent tank-mates for many other species. I keep Cories with discus @ 84 F with no problems over the long term.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Sounds like a good plan for inhabitants. I don't have any Bosemani Rainbows, but I love my Praecox Rainbows. I also have Turqoise Rainbows in with them
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Bosemani's or Densions
Apisto or GBR (make it a pair)
No Pearl Gourami.

In my experience apistos and GBR's will work in the same tank, however the best way to go with them is in pairs.

I also said no gourami because pearls do like company and are very peaceful fish. Depending on what you go with schooling fish wise they can become targets for nipping due to their long "feelers"

I would also say no Guppies, they tend to look best in a species only tank IMO.

Also you only would want 1 Bristlenose if you are going to go that route, they get large and have a large bio-load

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

The single GBR isn't going to be much to look at... they only color up well in the presence of the opposite sex. I've never kept apistos, but I'd guess they would be the same. Plus you'd miss out on the interesting courtship and social behavior that rams and apistos are known for. I would definitely do a pair of one or the other. A 75 should be large enough to avoid aggression issues if they spawn.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
cowfish007
Algae Grower

Revised list

15-20 cardinal tetras
7 Glass catfish
5 Bosemani Rainbows
1 bristlenose plecos
1 German Blue Ram
1 Pearl Gouramis
1 Apistogramma cacatuoides (Double red)?
3-5 male guppies?
6 or 7 Albino Corys

I'm concerned about getting a pair of Apistos, Pearl Gouramis or Rams due to their behavior when mating. I've read that they can become aggressive which is why I went with one instead of a pair. Experiences?

Indy posted before I finished (and, of course, conflicts with a previous post). Anyone else have experience with pairs of these fish in community tanks?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Dr Fishbait
Algae Grower

In my experience,(posted this before)once the rainbows get to any size your other fish will have a hard time getting anything to eat at feeding time. Had 7 turquoise rainbows in my 75 and they grew and grew (4+inches) and I had to physically fight them off to allow my other fish to eat. Rehomed them but missed rainbows so much got some Preacox Dwarf rainbows. And YES!! They eat everything just like the turquoise did. Even my pair of Kribensis don't have a chance. But I do Love rainbows. Might do a rainbow only tank one day. Good Luck.
Dr Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
scokaw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

The Boesemani should be fine when they're small, but as they approach their adult size of 5" they will probably out compete the others at feeding. Especially the slower gourami's and guppy's.

The gourami probably won't spawning successfully in your community setting. the others will probably destroy/eat their nest.

The apistos or rams should spawn if you have enough hiding places, but keeping the fry alive might be a challenge. Lots of extra mouths in there.
scokaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

My fish have no problem competing with my Rainbows at feeding time. In fact my Gourami is a total pig and gorges himself at every feeding time
Member #13

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=678009
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #11
cowfish007
Algae Grower

Any alternatives to the Rainbows? I'm looking for a "centerpiece" type fish.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #12
cowfish007
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scokaw View Post
The Boesemani should be fine when they're small, but as they approach their adult size of 5"
I was under the impression (based on LiveAquaria) that Boesemani only got to be around 3"?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #13
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I think they generally get around 4-5 inches. I have a friend who keeps them, and he has one almost 6 inches, but most of them are smaller, at around 4". Gorgeous fish, I think my next tank will be a rainbow tank.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
scokaw
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

My male boesemni's are about 5.5".
scokaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
JustJen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfish007 View Post
Revised list

15-20 cardinal tetras
7 Glass catfish
5 Bosemani Rainbows
1 bristlenose plecos
1 German Blue Ram
1 Pearl Gouramis
1 Apistogramma cacatuoides (Double red)?
3-5 male guppies?
6 or 7 Albino Corys

I'm concerned about getting a pair of Apistos, Pearl Gouramis or Rams due to their behavior when mating. I've read that they can become aggressive which is why I went with one instead of a pair. Experiences?
I have 2 pair of gold rams (and they are mated, breeding pairs) in a 46 bow with angels, tetras, plecos, cories, a couple guppies, celebes rainbows, and a plaket betta. They have their territories that they'll keep other fish out of if they have eggs (which pretty much lasts until the lights go out at night, then no more eggs), but otherwise, they're perfectly peaceful with their tankmates and each other. Honestly, my male guppies are bigger bullies in that tank than anyone. I've had gbr's and electric blue rams in that tank in the past (as well as in other tanks) and I've never had any real aggression issues with them. I've been told that rams are "social" fish that do better with a mate, and whether technically true or not, I will say that I have had way better luck with them when I've had a male/female pair in the tank vs. two males, two females, or a single ram.

I would still worry about the pearl gourami a little bit with the rainbows. They occupy the same area of the water column, and the rainbows are fast, aggressive eaters that very well may out compete the gourami.

Also, just a caution - there's a fairly good chance imo that your shrimp are going to get eaten when the rainbows get mid/full sized. I've got them in most of my tanks, but they didn't last long in the 46 mentioned above or my other tank with angels. Would assume a similarly sized rainbow would do the same to them that the angels did.
JustJen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.