Cichlid thats best for me. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
jtilley
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

So i am hearing rams and kribensis as the most suggested things. So here are some final questions.

Will they get along with any of my existing fish? I have zebra danios, neon tetras, a blue dwarf gourami, 3 mollies, 3 guppies, an Otto. And one ghost shrimp( i originally got 3 for a dollar and cant find 2 so who really knows haha)

Does anyone know if they will eat or uproot my plants? (Amazon sword, java mood and fern)

How many babies do they have on average per batch( is that the right word?) how long do the fry grow and how do the parents act towards fry as they grow?

Any other types suggestions im trying to be really thorough with my search.

Thanks guys this thread is going great
jtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
mark546
Algae Grower

Most cichlids are good parents. As for amount of fry depends on what you get.

Will they uproot your plants. Yes...If they dont like where you put it they will let you know. I sometimes have to plant the same plant 5 times before my cichlids and I can agree on placement. Once we agree and the plant roots there all is well. For the most part though its fine.

As for your tankmates. Well noone can give you a for sure answer.

Cichlids have personalities. They are all for the most part smart fish. Once you decide on a species go to all of your LFS sit and watch them. Pick out the ones with the personality you think will best match your tank.

If you want them to get along in a community you may want to consider two males or two females. A breeding pair can wreak havoc on a tank.

If you want a breeding pair Kribs and Rams dont get too violent when breeding. Although again I bring up the personality issue as this depends on your pair.
mark546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #18
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

rams and kribensis - Great choices to get started with Cichlids. Either should be OK in you tank. It's good to have "dither" fish in you tank to give the pair something to defend thier spawn sight against. A dither fish is a fish that is fast enough not to get hurt and just annoying enough to bring out the parental defense.

be sure to give the rams their choice of flat stones as a spawning site
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #19
jtilley
Planted Member

I like how the kribs look a lot better. How many babies do they have on average?

Has anyone ever kept Lamprologus ocellatus? They are shell dwellers and they look really cool because of the size they are. I just wanted to know if anyone has kept those or any other shell dwellers before. I like the concept of them a lot and think because they are smaller there is more options for tank mates. They cant hurt others as bad i would think but please share your opinions.
jtilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

My kribs generally have 50-100 fry at a time, and maybe a couple dozen of them make it to 1"+ from each batch.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtilley View Post
I like how the kribs look a lot better. How many babies do they have on average?

Has anyone ever kept Lamprologus ocellatus? They are shell dwellers and they look really cool because of the size they are. I just wanted to know if anyone has kept those or any other shell dwellers before. I like the concept of them a lot and think because they are smaller there is more options for tank mates. They cant hurt others as bad i would think but please share your opinions.
Kribs are awesome. I won some from an auction a month or so back and currently have 2-sets of babies in 2 different tanks. Parents are super protective and it's cool to see them scoop the babies up in there mouth and spit them back in the group
Old 10-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #22
Jmyers2019
Algae Grower

You couldnt have a small school depending on your cichlid size if a cichlid doesnt like something in his territory its gonna die.. So u cant have a smaller school. And your gonna need a set of rocks that make alot of caves for them to hide in and make territory.
Jmyers2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmyers2019 View Post
You couldnt have a small school depending on your cichlid size if a cichlid doesnt like something in his territory its gonna die.. So u cant have a smaller school. And your gonna need a set of rocks that make alot of caves for them to hide in and make territory.
You can't really apply a blanket statement like that to the largest and most diverse group of fish on the planet. In fact, for almost all cichlids outside of the Malawi/Tanganyika fish, a school of dithers is encouraged. Likewise, the rock dwelling cichlids are only a small group in a huge family, most cichlids don't need rocks and caves.

The best approach with cichlids is to decide on a specific subset- South American, West African River, African Rift Lakes, etc. Then research those areas and see how they live and interact with other fish in the wild. There's a huge difference in a proper South American cichlid tank and an African Rift tank.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4
Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
bsantucci
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

You can also look at Apistogramma cacatuoides. I have a few males in my tank along with a Bolivian ram pair. All are thriving. They don't uproot any of my plants either and leave all tankmates alone. I have guppies, danios, cories, and peacock gudgeons with them.
bsantucci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #25
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would honestly say go with rams. You other tankmates will be safer, and in my opinion they're much more enjoyable than Kribs. Just do your research on rand and see which one you like. Don't forget that one pair Erik be your max tho.
Or if you go want to go with shell dwellers than plants still be out of the question. You'll then need to replicate the hard water of the rift lakes. Basically your tank will be set up with sand and then scattering a whole bunch of shells. I'm not to familiar with shell dwellers sui again I suggest research.
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote