60P Club| Pushing NA's status further - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #16
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

This was my attempt at a Dutch tank. In retrospect, I would have used fewer different plants and maybe used wood at the substrate to separate the groups.

xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #17
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
I'm just super careful to not get my besta stand wet. I also added extra reinforcement.
How did you reinforce the stand? So far, my stand seems pretty solid with no play what so ever. I'm like 99% confident that it will hold. But I'm just curious what you did... maybe it will make me 100%! LOL
Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #18
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
This was my attempt at a Dutch tank. In retrospect, I would have used fewer different plants and maybe used wood at the substrate to separate the groups.

Dude your tank looked great, IMO! That's kinda the direction I'm going with mine right now... I know I have too many different species in mine but I'm going to embrace my collectoristis for now until I get sick of it... I already started cutting back on species in my other tanks though.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #19
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

digging that banner! nice job
Old 10-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmackdaddy View Post
Yay finally! I was suprised there wasn't one sooner. Will def post a pic once it its filled...
I have a whole bookmark tab dedicated to 60P journals lol
Me too! I used to constantly try to find all the 60P threads when I was researching, had a stack of links of 60P

Opinion the Besta stand: IKEA has a glossy glass top you can buy that glues on at the corner. They give you extra "glue" in case you mess up (which I did) and you remove the glue with a blade. Just make sure the stand is level, you can adjust the "legs" on the stand.

@ Brian_Cali77

How it feel to have your banner appearing everywhere, awesome job bro!

@ octanejunkie

That driftwood is banging, it's like the perfect size. About the over planting question you have, I was always told to plant a lot when first starting a tank. I end up planting a tiny bit then slowly planted more, I didn't encounter any problems beside the occasional water change. I believe you can go either way.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
OVT
Suspended

PTrader: (142/100%)

Nice scapes people.
I'm just trespassing, gotta go back to 12L

v3
Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #22
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Nice scapes people.
I'm just trespassing, gotta go back to 12L

v3
Do you have pics of your 60p setup? That was alway my favorite tank of yours.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Yeah man... if you get your stand wet often, then the Besta may not be the ideal choice for you. I'm super careful not to get mine wet... if there's a drop of water, I make sure to wipe it off immediately. If there's a potential for water splashing, I drape everything in towels.

I think what you're describing is a DIY ADA-Style Stand. If you're good with wood-working then you can probably build one (there's plenty DIY threads on the topic). Or you can hire a carpenter and give him the blueprints.

This older thread I started before I bought my Besta stand might help you (there's links to some how to's).
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...105&highlight=
Brian, like always, your answers are on point and are in a timely fashion. I appreciate your help constantly, brother!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Brian, like always, your answers are on point and are in a timely fashion. I appreciate your help constantly, brother!
No prob... glad I can help! So what did you decide to go with? Are you going to build a stand?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

Default My attempt @ Iwagumi

Here's my contribution to the 60P club
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ferrerid=58380
Sign me up!
Eheim Pimp Club #540 Finnex Club Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #26
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
How did you reinforce the stand? So far, my stand seems pretty solid with no play what so ever. I'm like 99% confident that it will hold. But I'm just curious what you did... maybe it will make me 100%! LOL
I used some wood and custom cut some pieces to fit along the backside of the stand (outside) then I cut two pieces that went along the inside of the stands left and right walls. to finish it all up there was one piece that connects the left side, right side, and top of the tank all together ( it acts as an internal brace)
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #27
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

More formal intro....

I can't fly the banner (I don't think) as my sig is getting clogged. I would love to join. Not really that far along right now but here is where I am at...trying to do dutch on a small scale:

I have a besta stand like most, plan to do a DIY stand in the future, not because I think the Besta stand is bad, it's a bit short and I have some people who are really good at making things like this. It will also help me learn woodworking which I need to learn certain tools to redo some things on my home.

Outside of that, pretty traditional equipment...2215, lily pipes, Hydro inline, GLA Atomic inline, 5lb co2 tank, etc.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #28
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
More formal intro....

I can't fly the banner (I don't think) as my sig is getting clogged. I would love to join. Not really that far along right now but here is where I am at...trying to do dutch on a small scale:

I have a besta stand like most, plan to do a DIY stand in the future, not because I think the Besta stand is bad, it's a bit short and I have some people who are really good at making things like this. It will also help me learn woodworking which I need to learn certain tools to redo some things on my home.

Outside of that, pretty traditional equipment...2215, lily pipes, Hydro inline, GLA Atomic inline, 5lb co2 tank, etc.
With this tradition equipment you speak of, would you change anything in hindsight now?
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
With this tradition equipment you speak of, would you change anything in hindsight now?
I just meant my equipment is pretty standard of what you would see on a 60P or similar sized high tech tank.

As for anything I would change, I may have gone with my 2234 instead of my 2215 for ease of cleaning but my 2215 was already cycled and I had to move all my fish from my last tank into a 6 gallon so I wanted things to cycle as soon as possible.

The other thing is I will probably make my own stand. I am using Besta from Ikea, spoke about in this thread. I don't have any problem with the stand but I would like to make my own. I don't have the tools to make one or the know how but I have to buy all the tools anyway and learn how to use them. Both my father and brother in law are really good at this stuff so I will likely have them help me build one in the future. My only reason for that is I really want something a bit taller, that fits the tank absolutely perfectly, and learn so I can make custom stands for other thanks. I have to do some trim work in my home so learning how to make stands is an easy intro to that.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
digging that banner! nice job
That tank is banging man... love it!
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote