my gifted 35 gallon glass tank - on a budget! gopro in-tank video! 5/11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-28-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

my gifted 35 gallon glass tank - on a budget! gopro in-tank video! 5/11

Hi guys! I am back after a long hiatus on this board. You can see in my signature my two previous tanks, both were small nano tanks. This is my first go at a medium sized tank

I am living in Berlin, Germany. I've been here a little while now and a friend of mine gave me her 35 gallon tank and some accessories for free today! I finished up scrubbing it down the best I could with what was at hand. It is glass and she didn't really keep it super clean so there is some grime that I do not have the patience for. But I think it is good enough as it is, it was all free after all.

Anyway, I want to do a heavily planted setup with nothing too fancy, no co2, no high tech lighting, etc etc...

I am thinking about doing a soil substrate and then covering it mostly with sand and leafs. I am thinking about doing some fresh water angels in this tank... not sure yet if that is a good idea, it seems like 30 gallons is the minimum for angels. Well I exceed that by a little bit, but I am curious if you guys think I could have a group of angels in this tank. It is not very tall, but still 35 gallons.

So yeah, I think mostly a planted tank with a school of one species of fish (maybe angels?) and then some sakura shrimps and that is it. Big point being simplicity. Maybe angels are too temperamental? Any advice appreciated!

Also I need to do some research about lighting... I have a hood for this tank that I can use these fluro lights with, but I am not sure I want to use that bulky setup.

I might just go for a diy LED setup, maybe with a strip with blue/red led's for night time lighting... my old 5g nano had a built in blue lighting and I really liked that for night time. I just don't know if you should select specific plant growing spectrum lighting for daytime setup or if you can just take off the shelf stuff at say like the hardware store. I mean I want to probably take easy low-medium light plants anyway so maybe it is pretty simple.

I stop ranting now, here are some pictures of what I have:

ps. the white dresser thing is what I plan to use as my tank stand, it seems sturdy enough - oh and the tank has a sort of built in corner for filtration... but the wall is filter media, so it is porous and this pump she gave me is a bit strange.. the output I would just stick through the media wall... doesnt seem very strong, but maybe it is good enough... but I do not have filtration media really, just that foam wall... no carbon or whatever, though perhaps I could pile on some into this corner, I dunno - I need to do some research on that.

Thanks for stopping by and hopefully by the end of next week I can get it planted and filled - gotta get the cycle going.

Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #2
theatermusic87
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

The filter is called a hamburg matten filter, it's a mostly european thing though they are slowly catching on here as well.. A quick google search can clue you in on the details, but basically they offer high bio filtration (like any other sponge filter), and pretty good mech filtration (in my experience) , and they have extremely long maintenance intervals on the order of clean it once a year or longer.

They're great for hiding equipment behind, are shrimp/fry proof, and they do well with high or low outputs from a pump (5-15x turn over in volume is usually fine)

Also i wouldn't recommend putting angels and shrimp together, the angels will eat the shrimp.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^ thanks for your reply! yeah, I googled it and yeah I guess it is a pretty good setup huh, anyway thanks for the info/advice

So I finally got the tank planted and filled today I am really happy with the piece of driftwood I found in the little local aquarium store down the street... they also have a nice selection of plants and I ended up buying a lot... I still am thinking about some foreground short plants, or maybe some sort of stones/gravel to break up the uniformity of the sand that covers the soil... but I dunno, I might just get some leafs and litter them on the sand.

So the light setup works for now, but I would prefer an led solution, this bulky fluro setup isn't so great, but for now it works. I wonder what a good idea for me will be, all the plants I have chosen are low to medium light, I need an LED setup with blue/red night light setting :P

Also, I will get a test kit here soon and take some readings, but lucky for me the built in filter is pretty well broken in so maybe I have low enough readings within a couple weeks.

You guys have to help me figure out what to stock this tank with... I cannot decide :P

Anyway, here are the pictures, I stop rambling now! (sorry but it is still a bit murky, but you can see the general scape).

Old 03-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #4
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

new pix! I did some really minor adjustments with the sand and then added 2 new plants, I took pix of them, the first 2, one is planted into the sand next to the small piece of wood with the anubias, not sure what it is called then the other new one is next to the ludwiga and is tall and green, also don't know what it is called :x

Anyway, the tank got murky a little from my meddling... I think the soil I used isnt so great, it is quite dusty and seems a bit like powdery clay not sure if that is bad, but yeah maybe not so great... I hope my api test kit comes in soon so I can see what the levels are at and when I can get some fish in the tank

Old 03-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
rick dale
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default new tank

Nice tank. I like it.
rick dale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks!

I might have to make a custom stand though... I am having more doubts about my dresser being able to hold like ~330 lbs
Old 03-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

looks good i dig the biotope look
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 03:37 AM   #8
serenityfate
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)

Loving the wood piece!!
serenityfate is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 AM   #9
theatermusic87
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks pretty fantastic to me!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #10
SpankyMR2
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Looks great!
SpankyMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the comments guys

as for stocking I am not quite sure yet... advice welcome

~8 danios (zebras?)

1 or 2 pearl gourami

1 oto & some other sucker?

assassin snails (damn pond snails need hunted)

amanos?

a group of 6 tetras or cpd?

^ is that over stocked if I would go for another group of fish like tetras or cpds?

^another question is shrimp, could amano's survive with such tank mates?

another idea is tiger barbs instead of danios, but I guess they would bully a gourami or 2 from what I hear
Old 03-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

got a package of indian almond leafs in today... still waiting on the test kit and flourish :P
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #13
reefcorgi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

great setup
reefcorgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #14
andrewss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so I added a new plant, I am not sure what it is called... haha actually I don't know what most my plants are called except I have 3 varities of anubias and 2 ferns (maybe they are the same?) some java moss a type of ludwiga and some other plant that grows like ludwiga embarrassing on this forum, I know...

I hope the new plant, that I took a photo of under this text holds up, so far after a week no plants have melted much at all and overall seem happy.

I can't wait for my master test kit to come in the mail then I get some readings, I hope the already well worn in filter gives me some good water readings

I am leaning towards a group of danios (leopard or zebra) maybe a tetra group (not sure what type) then some bottom dwellers, I'd like a group of cory cats but I am afraid they will dig too much into the sand and cause the dusty soil to be mixed in the water... maybe just a couple otos.

Then the question is gourami's - I want a pearl gourami, do you think I could put a pearl gourami in the tank? Is it best to put a pair in or is a single ok? Do you think a pearl gourami would eat large amano shrimps?

photos:

Old 03-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #15
NotCousteau
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's a really good-looking tank there!
NotCousteau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.