50 Gallon Tank Build
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Daniel12490
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

50 Gallon Tank Build

Hello All,

I am currently taking apart my 20 gallon tank and moving my fish and setup to a new 50 gallon aquarium. I do not trust the pressboard stands that you see in the local stores so I figured I would construct my own! So my stand is built from 4x4 corner studs, yes a little overboard on the strength! The remainder of the frame is built from 2x4s, the stand it self is covered with 2x6's which gave it an awesome rustic look. The door is a bi-fold door connected with simple hinges! Let me know what you guys think of my current build and I will post more photos once I begin setting up and planting the tank!
Attached Images

Daniel12490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Do you have any pictures of it before you added the outside(2x6) so we can saee the frame ? I asked because the way the tank sits on top of the 2x4 it looks odd and too
far away to see details.
Has a nice appearence. The stand I mean. 48"x18"x18" on the tank ?
Sure fits that space well.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Daniel12490
Algae Grower

Yeah I can take photos of the frame via the back, forgot to take some pictures during pre-build. The entire back is completely open to make it easier for cables to run through. Originally the tank did not fit with the lip up high to cover the black framing, so I had to unscrew those pieces and move them down slightly, so now the tank sits flush on top. The dimensions for the tank are 36x18x19, and my stand is built to 37x18x30. Should have made it one inch wider and longer to accommodate the lip. However, it is my first stand I have built so I will live and learn lol.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

So what is holding up the 2x4's ? I think most prefer to have the tank directly on top of the 4x4 and the other end of the 4x4 directly on the floor.
Some how I don't seem to be able to put it into words exactly as I want to. Guess I'll see better when you put in the pic of the back.
That tank will be close to 600 Lbs. when filled and the gravel in it.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Daniel12490
Algae Grower

The 2x4s are currently screwed into the 4x4 posts. Think of the top and bottom being a rectangle, with the corners being attached to the 4x4 posts with screws. Then on the top in between the rectangular frame there are other 2x4s in between that rectangle that makes it look like a ladder, then I covered that ladder with some 2x6s just to clean it up.

Since I am currently at work and will be able to post my actual photos later on this Google image link will give you the best idea as to what my frame actually looks like, it is also where I got my idea from.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/wp-content/...nk-Stand-1.jpg
Old 08-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

So if I use the upper left frame as the example, the tank is actually setting on a flat 2x4 which is flat on top of the 4x4. The virtical 2x4 is just trim and not holding the tank ?
Can't get more sturdy than that as those 2x4's hold the frame square.
I think you see where I was going also. The tank is not resting on the edge of an unsupported 2x4 that is just screwed to the side of the 4x4...
Old 08-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
philipraposo1982
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If the tank weight is on the 2x4 and they are just being screwed into the 4*4 then that's not sufficient support.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Daniel12490
Algae Grower

How so? There are also the 2x6s around the side that is also creating the support for the tank. The stand itself has more support than the typical pressboard stands you would see in a store.

Bump: Raymond S.

That would be correct, the 2x4 trim was just decorative to hide the black plastic framing of the aquarium. The 2x4s themselves are supported onto the 4x4s, which will hold plenty of weight. The 2x4 trim was just lowered down a few inches so now the tank lays perfectly flat on the 2x4s on top of the 4x4 posts.