Toad Escaping?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 01-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Has anyone had trouble with Frogs or Toads escaping? I can't find my Fire-Belly Toad! Argh!! I keep a lid on it, but it isn't exactly tight fitting. He would have had to squeeze through a fairly small opening to get out. I'm still hoping he's just hiding in the pile of rocks somewhere. This is my first try at keeping reptiles/amphibians of any kind and I'll be bummed if he's really gone, dangit.
Time for a much tighter lid!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
Zurp
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My fire-belly toads can't easily stick to glass, but they do hide a lot when humidity is low, and after heavy eating. Mine often wedge them-selves between my loose mosses and the glass. They also like to wedge them-selves into nooks of stone slabs.

I think they just like the security of having an object on their back. I say this because I only see them hide where something can always touch their backs. They also flatten quite well to get into tight spots. I once thought that I was continually rescuing one of my frogs from a tight spot, until one day I watched it crawl in and out without a problem.

(It still looked squished in it's hide hole!)

Try dropping a couple of pinhead crickets in the tank to see if it draws him out. (Mine often stuff four to five full grown crickets in their mouths in one feeding!)
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most amphibians can manage an escape. Its unlikely, but possible... They can squeeze through small cracks/holes with ease and, given the right circumstances, they can climb up vertical (and sometimes upside down) glass surfaces.

I know newts (even fully-aquatic species) will escape from tanks with even the smallest cracks/holes. I've heard the same for some non-arboreal frogs, so firebelly toads wouldn't be a big stretch...

Hope its in there.

^iMp^
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Man, I don't want to hope he's still in there because if I tear it down and still don't find him, I'm going to be bummed all over again. I might try the pinhead crickets, though. He usually flips out when I toss a bunch of those in there.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

If it were me, I know I would not rest 'til I found the little guy. The only thing I've learned getting older is to go over my possibilities as thoroughly as possible before going radical (which in this case would be tearing down the tank). Too many times I tend to get excited and tear things up only to find out later I didn't need to... :roll:
Old 01-23-2004, 07:17 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Well when I get home today, I am going to try the crickets. If he doesn't show up, I am going to start moving some rocks. It's a small tank and there aren't a heck of a lot of places for him to hide.

If he did get out - my cat would make pretty sure he didn't get far. =( I hope she gets sick to death if she did eat him!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
jart
Wannabe Guru

sorry to hear about this gulfman. i'm not sure if these critters tend to preferentially prowl when it's dark. perhaps try keeping the lights out in the room this eve for a while, then watch with a flashlight or such???

i've seen the pics of him and given his smile, i'm not sure if he wouldn't be the type to escape just long enough to hide your car keys on you, then return to his dwelling :twisted:
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Well I'm hoping to find him with a full belly, and the cat missing
Old 03-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
nimmie
Algae Grower

Man I hope you find him!! Be nice to kitty though :lol:
Eheim pimp #22!!
nimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:38 AM   #10
Basilisk
Planted Member

You should look for him in every space and corner you have there. I once had one, it escaped, and I found him three days later stuck to a shelf's leg, crouching tightly, and all covered in dust. Then, I rinsed it with lukewarm water, dropped it in a tank, and it started swiming swiftly.

I know some frogs do that, so it won't likely be seen crawling around. They also sometimes go to wet/humid places like the bathroom.

I have been lucky with escapees, my tarantula climbs up the glass when she is light enough, I am surprised no one has ever stepped on her, or any other venturous explorer.
Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:52 PM   #11
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Yeah, so three months have passed. I'm thinking the toad is gone. The cat got violently sick the day after he disappeared so I know where the poor toad is. The cat isn't allowed anywhere near the study now.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:39 PM   #12
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

A small consolation for the toad, I suppose.
Isn't allowed? Good luck with that. Cats will be cats. That's why folks are so polarized about whether they like 'em or not.

I knew of someone who had more than 20 cats that lived inside- a beautiful brick home on the water in Norfolk. The cats ruled the house. 15 seconds after going in, my eyes, nose and throat began to burn violently from the fumes. I was thinking, "this beautiful house on the water, and it will probably have to be razed because no normal person can live in it".

I don't hate cats, but I'll never own one again. Too destructive. But that's another story.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #13
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Yeah well a closed door pretty much gaurantees she's not getting in. She's not destructive or anything, Just eats and sleeps, and the house definitely doesn't smell like cat. We've only got one cat and that's the way it's going to stay.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:18 PM   #14
Basilisk
Planted Member

I did not even look at the dates, lol. Well, it got updated. Good at least for the record.