Aquaclear filter in planted tank-
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
fishlady
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am new to planted tanks . Just started a 30 and it looks great. I presently have a 90 gallon with plastic plants that I would like to plant. It has two Aquaclear 500s on it now. I read alot of posts where you have a HOB filter and a canister. Is it possible to do a planted with 2 aquaclears or does it mess with the C02?? Thanks-
fishlady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 03:55 PM   #2
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

As far as CO2, you want to make sure that there is hardly any surface agitation. You can do this by cutting a AC 500 sponge to fit into the overflow outlet so that there is no waterfall. I do this for my AC 150, but am unsure how it will work for a 500 since it is much more powerful.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:24 PM   #3
ginnie5
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5

I did cut the lip on them (not easy when they are on the tank) I run my co2 into the intake tube of one of them. Everything is doing great. I get plenty of co2 in the tank and the plants are growing and pearling. I've never done a cannister filter so I don't know if they are better but I'm happy with what I've got. It's also easy to put whatever media I want in the aquaclears.
ginnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
fishlady
Planted Member

Thanks, think its possible to do a planted 90 gallon with low light plants and NOT do the c02 injection?? (Something I am not familiar with yet) If I stick with low light plants such as anubia, crypts etc can I get away with not doing the C02 if I have low lighting, say 2 wpg or less?? Thanks for your help-
Old 01-23-2004, 05:51 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

It's definitely possible. You won't get the "dutch tank" look, but still can create some really nice scapes. As a matter of fact, a few years ago light levels used on planted tanks were much lower than nowadays, and CO2 injection wasn't as common as it is now.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2004, 09:51 PM   #6
fishlady
Planted Member

Wasserpest: How about using the 2 aquaclears, think that is ok for filtering a planted tank?? Thanks for your help, I am excited
Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

I think if you do what Rolo suggests, in some way reduce surface agitation (waterfall splashing down), it would work well. Many of us use Aquaclears on planted tanks. Cheap and easy to clean.
Investing $100 in a nice canister filter is probably money well spent. But since you have the AC's already, just stick with them for now.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2004, 12:17 AM   #8
csfish
Algae Grower

I have a pair of Aquaclear filters on each of my three tanks (well, the goldfish tank doesn't really count as a planted) and without any CO2 supplementation other than some Flourish Excel, I get some decent growth from crypts, anubias, Java fern, Java moss, watersprite, wisteria, and small swords. I haven't done any modifications to the filters at all, other than keeping the water topped right up to the lip of the outflow. Using Excel on a 90 would be prohibitive in cost, but with 2wpg and a careful selection of plants, you would probably do fine to keep it simple. HTH.
csfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2004, 03:52 AM   #9
fishlady
Planted Member

CSFish- What do you have for lighting on your low light tanks?? I know there is a special board for that :lol: but thought I would ask while I am herel. Thanks for your help!
Old 01-24-2004, 09:31 AM   #10
csfish
Algae Grower

Hi Fishlady,
I have two 20gal tanks where most of the plants are and each tank is lit by a 55w 6500K PC kit from AHSupply. The 50gal goldfish tank has some Java ferns and anubias lit by two 26w 6500K (screw-in, spiral-type) compact flourescent bulbs in an ordinary incandescent hood. I know I could have gone with a couple of shoplights for more light and better coverage on this tank, but I thought I'd just try out the hood I had. It's not the best, but seems adequate for the few plants in this tank (the goldfish keep trying to dig them up and do their own aquascaping ). Hope that helps...
csfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2004, 02:46 PM   #11
fishlady
Planted Member

Thanks for your help. I think I should probably move this over to the lighting forum to continue. thanks again- :lol:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.