Dont know what im doing!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
BigArnsky
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dont know what im doing!

Hey everyone,

Alright, so i started with a 20g tank that my friend gave to me. Along with the tank he gave me his Cascade 700 Canister Filter and the light banister. I had that all set up and running fine. I recently moved and purchased a 60g cube tank. I started running it on Nov 7 and since then i have purchased a new light, some plants, I just placed three corydoras; one large emerald green and two pandas, and im using the Cascade 700 with it. I know its a new tank, and I am new to planted tanks, but I dont think I am doing this correctly. I dont exactly know what im doing, and im just winging it right now... :/ What am i missing, and what should I do? I have looked at a lot of guides, but there is just too much information to take in at once. I would rather someone explain it to me than just reading a guide, if that makes sense. I learn better like that for some reason, learning from my mistakes.

Thanks,
AJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131120_235923_002.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	237649  

Last edited by BigArnsky; 11-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add picture.
BigArnsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

It is probably too early to have fish in the tank. You need to have the tank cycle before you add fish so that it is safe for fish to live in the tank. Best way to tell is to get a test kit that includes tests for nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia and you will need a source of ammonia. There is a lot of info on here if you search cycling a tank.
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
BigArnsky
Algae Grower

Okay, I will just move them to the 20g. As far as the lighting, i dont feel confident that it is the proper lighting i need for a fully planted tank.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Tzac
Planted Member

Lighting is actually one of the last things you want to tune in with a planted aquarium. If you have to much light without having CO2 and fertilizers you will just have a major algae problem. Doing the research until you really understand it all will save you money and major headaches in the long run.
Tzac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
BigArnsky
Algae Grower

What do you suggest that i do with the CO2 and the fertilizer? Yeah, i definitely learned my lesson doing that.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Read this and you will be ahead of the game.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107303
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Aqguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Read this and you will be ahead of the game.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=107303
Excellent info thanks
Old 11-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

What is wrong? Algae?
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
BigArnsky
Algae Grower

No, nothing is wrong, I just dont know what I have gotten myself into i guess. Im getting a bunch of information, information overload. A lot of reading, and a lot of options as far as high to low light. What lights to use, what plants, fish, substrate, its so difficult to choose right now I guess. Ive already got the 60g set up with substrate that I dont remember what type I used. I have a light that I bought without researching first. I dont know what type of plants I want, and I already have some planted into the tank.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just take a breath and read the link the jeepguy had posted So you say you're seeing too many guides, but we're telling you that this is the one to follow. It'll help you organize your thoughts better. There's nothing we can say that is not better said in that primer. THEN, when you have more specific questions, we can better help with that.
ipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #11
BigArnsky
Algae Grower

Okay, so I guess my biggest concern right now is that I dont know whether or not the light I bought will be sufficient enough for this planted tank. Also, I dont know if this light is considered a low light or high light. If so, how can I tell the difference, and should I return the light for another light?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I feel the pain! I think we have all been there at times.
From my view, there is way too much said about the need for great lighting. Great lights are needed if great CO2 and ferts are used to get great growth. Most likely you will not get a true balance of these from the start. Like riding a bike, you will likely have to see what happens and adjust. No real way to avoid it as all tanks are just as different as the people keeping them.
First step for me would be to do some reading and understand the tank cycle as it is the thing that keeps any fish alive as well as what takes the longest to do. While it is going through the process, you can begin to get up to speed on other things. Don't rush into buying things. It will all wait and things will turn out better. The one sure way to ruin my day is to spend money and find it is not right or killing the fish or plants is even worse.
Cycle the tank, stock or plants later and change lighting if needed. You may find the plants do fine with the light, CO2 and ferts you use first but it is likely to need changing in some way.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

+1 agree^^...also if you take/took some media from your 20g and place it in this tanks filter it will cycle alot quicker and you can put your cories back in.....
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
BigArnsky
Algae Grower

How will I know whether or not my light is sufficient lighting. How will i be able to tell? I know there is the WPG, but also Kelvin. The light i bought has 7k - 10k blend, but only 20w, is this sufficient? The tank is 24 in deep and shows that the PAR values go down.

Water Level - 400 PAR
3in 250
6in 200
9in 160
12in 130
15in 100
18in 75
21in 30
24in 0

I dont exactly know what these numbers mean or whether or not i want high PAR or low PAR. Since im trying to grow some carpet, like dwarfgrass, would this light be sufficient?
Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Light is not that important compared to nutrients. With your light you still have plenty of plants available. Water sprite, wisteria, bacopa, anarchis, java fern, mosses, amazon sword, and for a carpet dwarf sag would work. Watch your plants, make sure they have the nutrients they need, micros and macros(back to primer) and if having problems only then reexamine your light level. Most plants will grow in normal lighting if co2 and nutrients are not limited so don't worry about light until you are sure it's your problem. But if u don't want to worry about co2 visit the plant profile page up on the tabs and see what people say about the plants you like. Stick to easy growing plants for now and evolve as your tastes evolve.
jeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.