Betowess Restart of a 90 gallon - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-20-2007, 03:25 AM   #31
yoink
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Nice tank, those rainbows are particularly stunning.
yoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 03:39 AM   #32
SuRje1976
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976

I'm jealous of your moss & fissidens. Growth looks great Bob!
SuRje1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:21 AM   #33
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Really nice! I especially like the Rainbow's, what water parameters do you keep them in? I've read that they suffer in acidic, soft water.
Raul-7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:52 AM   #34
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Thanks guys. Still pretty much a jungle, but its coming along and is fairly algae free, thank goodness. Raul, I kind of break the rules, but these guys are doing fine. The pH is 6.3 give or take and KH4 and GH 5-6, generally. But the water is a little harder coming in so I guess that helps them. Some of these rainbows are probably coming on plus three years old and seem to be thriving. I also have 27 Rainbow fry in another tank, which was an accident. when I threw a plant called Largarosiphon madegascarensis in another tank and two days later had a fry hatch.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #35
PeteyPob
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Geez, your tank is looking well! Your Rainbows are amazing.
PeteyPob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #36
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks PeteyPob, I appreciate it.
A big school of Rainbows is pretty cool, but they are definate pigs. Makes getting food down to the Corys and Loaches a challenge. I try to drop stuff in the back area to give the other guys a chance. I'm thinking my Rainbows need to do go on a diet!

I moved some more Fissidens last night as some blew off during the autowater change. It was the big piece on the top left which got blown by the spraybar the most. The autowater change takes about 5 hours because I stagger the fill to let the heater keep up. I now do just one change (50%) per week.

I used fishing line this time so hopefully it will stay and added a bit to one last branch which didn't have any. I really love the look of Fissidens on wood.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 AM   #37
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Bob,

You have a couple plants doing very well that I have struggled with in the past. Care to offer up your water parameters and maintenance schedule for an inquiring mind ?

And geez is that a good looking crinum in the other tank. The best specimen I've seen on the forum.

*edit: I meant DOSING schedule - not maintenance -

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #38
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Hey Ted, lets see.

I switched back to a CO2 controler so I have the pH set around 6.3. The KH is around 4. It might start a little higher first of the week at water change. I now do a once per week 50% water change. The GH is around 5. Water's pH is around 6.6 out of the tap rising to ~ 7.2. It varies as we have an acid neutralizer. We had leaking hot water pipes due to our naturally acidic well water - which precipitated the $1200 investment - which I have to almost completely bypass to get it where its at now.. So no mg or calcium dosing needed now.

Regards dosing, I started a Wasserpest style auto doser with an Aquarium systems 606 pump pushing CSM+B,KNO3, and K2SO4 for a three week period. The mix is in a painted plastic cereal container filled with water and ferts.. This mix is pretty much EI, though I went a little lighter at first and recently upped it. I may be bringing it back down, however...

It doses 7 days a week to reach EI levels, or just shy depending how I mix it. I dose both tanks this way. 65 gallon has moderate fish load. 90 a little heavier. But this might be too much with AquaSoil - with all the nutrients in that stuff?

Here is the mix level for the auto doser which runs for one minute every night at 10 PM:
CSM+B = 1.75 teaspoons for three weeks
KNO3 = 4.5 to 6 teaspoons for three weeks
K2SO4 = 2.25 teaspoons for three weeks
I believe its pretty weak by the third week, however.

I dose PO4 manually (unless I space it) on MWF with 3/16 teaspoon, sometimes a little heaped. And Seachem roottabs for the Cyperus helferi and Crypts/Crinum/Eriocaulon etc. Sometimes, maybe once a week or every other week I'll dump in 30-40ml of Excel at night, on a whim. I don't use a UV.
If things look yellow, 3-5 mls of Seachem Iron - rarely.

Lights are on around 8-9 hours total with 3 to 4 hours miday with 4x 54 watt T5 and rest of the photoperiod with only 2x54 watt Tek lights. I do vary miday times depending on if I see algae. And every rare once in a while I do a two day all lights out. Sorry this is so long.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #39
retoid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to retoid Send a message via MSN to retoid

This is looking real good! I like the plant variation. And the species you have in there, some very colorful fish. One thing that seems a bit off is the right section, it seems like a separate section because the rotala and the bright green plant beneath it, they seem to create a barrier.
Looking real good though!
retoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #40
hungryhound
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I stumbled across this thread and just had to say how impressed I was with this tank. It is absolutely stunning, and you have reminded me why I wanted Rainbow fish in the first place. Thanks for sharing your wonderful tank.
hungryhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 AM   #41
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by retoid View Post

This is looking real good! I like the plant variation. And the species you have in there, some very colorful fish. One thing that seems a bit off is the right section, it seems like a separate section because the rotala and the bright green plant beneath it, they seem to create a barrier.
Looking real good though!
Thanks retoid! I appreciate it, and good feedback too. I agree, there is a division there. The Anubias (which is floating) isn't suppose to be floating up. I forgot to push it back down. And behind it in the back - to its right are two major stems of Hygrophila balsalmica which will fill that back area and shade part of the Anubia. And I will trim the rotala and E. stellata/Bacopa, and other stems in the front there substantially. Its kind of still in a pre 'scape growing mode/evolution right now.

But after I pushed the Anubia back to its place, I kind of liked the "valley", so I may attemp to keep it and have a little less of the H balsalmica that one can't really see yet. BTW, that light geen plant up front is Elatine triandra - it will probably go once the Crypts come into growth, thought I may work it in somewhere. It seems nice as a bush. Who knows? Anyhow, thanks!

hungryhound! Wow, thanks. You made my day! Rainbows rock for sure.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:37 AM   #42
HEINEKEN357
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Betowess your layout is SWEET great job. Where you get the blue rainbow? i never see them where iam out *
Old 05-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #43
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEINEKEN357 View Post
Betowess your layout is SWEET great job. Where you get the blue rainbow? i never see them where iam out *
Thanks Heineken, I appreciate it! Re: the rainbows, I never see them in our LFS either. Tanner sells Turquoise Rainbow out of Aquabid, but I got mine from a small LFS that just happened to get a few.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #44
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Its been about 3 weeks, so here is a quick snapshot of some small but hopefully significant changes. Basically, the Hygrophila sp. "Pantanal Wavy" was getting so tall it needed trimming. But I wanted to keep the tops and it was behind the wood (which is where it was suppose to be). But I knew it would always be a PITA to trim there and it grows really fast once its established so... I moved it to the far left corner. It will grow like my sig pic eventually flowing from the left corner to the right and shading anything under its canopy..

To facilitate that move, I decided to put all the Cyperus helferi on the right side, where it makes a more dramatic statement, I hope. I think once the Hygro. "Pantanal Wavy" gets big enough it will knock down the current enough to keep the Cyperus from looking like its in a storm. Lots of current in this tank right now!

Lastly, I moved a large Anubia behind and on the back left of the Manzanita root burl where it will be shaded by the Hygrophila sp. "Pantanal wavy" (in six to eight weeks or so). All of this is opening up much more light, so hopefully my Crypts in the front will finally kick into gear. Right now I am only running 2x 54 watts of the Tek except for a one hour 4x54 midday blast.

Also, I trimmed out a lot of pennywort and moved/trimmed a little this and that... such as taking all of the Elantine triandra out. And I moved a few stalks of E. stellata and Hygrophila balsamica to the left front temporarily. I am also getting some of the low form Lobelia to grow pretty well. pH has been around 6.2 lately.

I'll probably pull the Rotala colorata out as well as the E stellata and Hygrophila balsamica once the Crypts finally kick in gear. I am begining to think this will be a lower maintenance,. midlight tank, eventually. Let me know what you think.

PS... There are three or four baby Apistogramma cacatoides "Triple red" juvi/fry in there now!

Last edited by Betowess; 06-12-2007 at 02:53 PM..
Old 06-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #45
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Wowzers, the plants and fish are beautiful.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote