Betowess Restart of a 90 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #1
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Betowess Restart of a 90 gallon

Here is a picture right before the re-start of my 90 gallon. Unfortunately a lot of the pics at the start of the thread had a white balance set for cloudy, so some of pics are too warm/yellow. But you'll get the idea...

Here is the tank after the draining is almost complete. There is a lot of Aqua Soil which I have saved, but I'm not sure if I'll use it. Maybe??

Next I scrubbed, then bleached the tank. I ran a sterilizing solution of bleach for a day. Then I filled and rinsed it about four times - with a lot of prime and water for a couple of days. Of course, first I had moved fish and about 12 Amano shrimp and some plants into a trash can for five days with a filter running. Last, I added a thin layer of peat moss, then about 9-10 bags of well rinsed flourite. I have some left over from 11 bags. I borrowed media for the filter from another of my established tank's filter, as well as some mulm.

Within two days after the final refilling, I had all the inhabitants back in the tank, except for a trio of Hill Stream loaches, 13 Amano shrimp, and a few Otos. Not enough algae for them to eat yet... One cool thing is I found a few fish alive when clearing the tank that I hadn't spotted for over a year - two of three Kuhulii loaches. And they were fat.

Its starting to stabilize now. I am thinking of moving the Manzanita out to my 65 gallon, once I find some rocks. I have some more fissidens and some crypts and a few other plants on the way. But I like seeing Cyperus helferi on both corners of a tank.

I didn't move the Manzanita yet. I'm waiting to stabilizing this tank and have a lot of fast growers in there for the time being. Fish are fine and got very excited with the new spread.
Some of the Crypt wendtii green x-tall melted, but are already throwing up new leaves. I didn't bleach dip them nor the Cyperus helferi, which came from my 65 gallon. I have some red algae rearing its head, but I'm going to take it real easy on ferts for a while and hope it goes away with enough stems in there.

I definately killed a Blyxa aubertii and all my L. aromatica with a bleach dip. And my Hygrophila sp. "Pantanal Wavy" and Hygrophila balsalmica did not like 30 seconds in a 1:20 ratio of bleach/water dip. But both survived, barely.

Not much different, here is a full shot of the re-start 90 gallon which has been up for a little over a week...

And here is a little closer view. You can notice the wood got quite a bleaching. The piece on the right was barely bleached a month before to kill some clado it had on it (from my 65 gallon) so that is why its darker. The main root burl is starting to darken and get a bit of green algae on it.

I have some shots of the empty tank with bleach solution I'll add later. They are on a computer at my office.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Last edited by Betowess; 06-10-2007 at 07:06 PM..
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 AM   #2
jebarj90
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jebarj90

I love the rainbows!!!
jebarj90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
vollphann
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Looks good. I love rainbows. Got bit by the bug after my first three praecox...I've had them for over 2 1/2 yrs. Then got three Irian Red. Lost my big gorgeous male a couple mo ago when I started press. CO2...still not sure what happened. Lost him and the big Emerald Rainbow within a week. Your's are beautiful! Can't wait to move to a new house and save up for a 90 to 120g to really get into them and some others. Hope to see more pics as the tank progresses.
vollphann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
TheOtherGeoff
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff

good lookin as usual

75 Gallon Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for The Trout Tank
TheOtherGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #5
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks folks. Its got a long ways to go. I'm going to build up both sides with more substrate, once things settle down in a month or so. It actually looks a lot better with 1/2 the lights on. I shot it fast this afternoon with all four T5s running.

PS... I'm really excited. I found a nice new male Apistogramma cactoides triple red male for my three girls in there. He is young, but healthy! He's going to need to be. LOL Only $15.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
Wingsdlc
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc

Looks like you are off to a great start. I love the drift wood and also the rainbows.
Wingsdlc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
turbowagon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)

Great start, Bob. Looking good! Your tank is always going to look familiar with that unique piece of driftwood.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

Hahaha yea that male has his work cut out for him!!

Nice work, Bob. Looking great

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
ianmoede
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Looks great brosef, carry on, carry on.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Roc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)

Great tank, I love the wood. I have tried to attemp to have wood like that before but I always end up having to "make" my wood by puting together lots of little pieces
Roc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
SuRje1976
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976

Looks great Bob. That Flourite must have gotten a very good rinse! I see the AWC's in place. I'm assuming CO2 via reactor? How about Excel? Have you decided how you are going to dose the tank with ferts yet (do you have target levels you're shooting for)? And did you restart it with a full, or a modified photoperiod?
SuRje1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Joe, Earnie, Wingsdlc, brother Ian, Iroc, and Sergio!

I do plan on putting the Manzanita root burl in my 65 eventually. But I want to go rock hunting later this summer in the mountains and see what shakes. Then hopefully things will be quite a bit different. And my Crinum calemestratum is having babies now, so I don't want to trade that till I can keep some offspring. That plant is huge and has to be moved to allow for the Manzanita in my 65 gallon.

Sergio, I am going with a traditional reactor through the low outflow around 40-60 ppm. I haven't used Excel yet, but might. I started around 8.5 hours with 2x54watt and about 3 hours midday with all four with the Tek about 10 inches off the waterline.

I was dosing automated EI at about 3/4 of full dose... with Wasserpest method using a AS 606 powerhead for a minute each night for K, NO3, trace and manually dosing PO4 (when I remember). But I shut it down when some algae started popping up fast. Too much too soon and things look better already. Plus I added 12 big Amanos a couple days ago. Plants are growing well now, but they have a ways to go. And its a fairly heavy fish load, so I'm going to go maybe ~ 1/3 to 1/2 half dose EI when I start it up again in a few days. Just watching the plants for now.

I am also contemplating using bigger water changes (1/3 of water volume) a couple of times a week. Auto, with a time out for the heaters to keep up.

Typical Targets are around 10ppm NO3 and 1-2 PO4 and just enough trace to keep the plants green and keep this red algae at bay.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
SuRje1976
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to SuRje1976 Send a message via MSN to SuRje1976 Send a message via Skype™ to SuRje1976

How's everything progressing Bob?
SuRje1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
milkdud
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)

Very nice!

What are the tall straight-leaved plants in each corner?

60gal planted
milkdud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2007, 03:30 AM   #15
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Hey Sergio. Its a mixed verdict. Plants are growing very well and fast, but I still have a bit of a red algae. Boatloads of pearling, so I must be close. I recently setup the auto water change to once a week, and have the fill staggered over 4 hours to give the heaters time to keep up. And I'm dosing EI manually for a while to keep things under more control. I think it may be an excess of trace/iron which triggers this red algae. I just started this water change setup a few days ago and gave 15ml of TMG, which is probably way too much. I might skip a dose and then try 4-5 mls and see if the red algae diminishes. It really came on strong after that dosage of TMG...

It wipes off pretty easy, but can set in fast. I'll try to post a pic soon. It affects some plants more rapidly than others. The Stargrass and Elantine tiandra are staying fairly clear of it and are four times the previous size... I'm pretty sure I can beat it, once I zero in on the dosing.

Oh yeah, I also tied a bunch of Fisidens fontanus to the Manzanita burl and added some Crypt. wendtii "Green Geko"

Milkdud, thanks. The grass like plant is Cyperus helferi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.