Rasboras
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-23-2004, 04:07 AM   #1
Ken
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Ken

what does everyone/anyone think of Rasbora's.

I just picked up 4 of the little guys the other day to replace the late green tiger barbs in my 10G. I was wondering what are some of the quirks, personality, habits, tips, problems of these cute little fish?

I was planning on getting some White Clouds to go with them, but now I'm thinking 6 more for an even 10 would look nice. My cat (as in feline) loves them, she'll stare at the tank for literally hours. And the cute thing is the Rasboras will often stare right back at her. :P

I'm thinking of getting some Dwarf Puffers (to keep the snail population below 200) and some Ghost Shrimp. Compatibility with the Rasboras? I also have a Raphael, Cory, 3 oto's in the same moderately planted tank.

Thanks!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2004, 06:06 AM   #2
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

What species of rasbora, Ken? It's impossible to advise anymore than if you asked what was compatible with a cichlid? Well, it depends on what type of cichlid it is.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
Ken
Algae Grower

Sorry. They are Rasbora Heteromorpha, I believe.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I love them. Great fish, nice color and shape. Non-aggressive, I would definitely get more of them, they do best in larger schools. I would be concerned about the puffers though as far as fin-nipping is concerned.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Obviously, I love Harlequin Rasboras. Once established and full grown, their colors are really amazing. They are peaceful and hardy (once acclimated, anyway) and school quite well. I keep a group of 7 in my 55g but I want to increase the school to 15 or more.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:07 PM   #6
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah...they are pretty entertaining fish--love the way they strike-feed. I also like white cloud minnows (I find that they aren't as shy as harlequins), but in a tank the size of yours I think it'll look nicer (and be better for the fish) to get more harlequins.

Some advice? Well, they tend to school poorly when you first get them or when you introduce more harlequins. I guess they need to establish their place in the shoal. I wouldn't feed them very much, as they tend to get big and fat (and look like goldfish) if overfed. Of course, overfeeding is always a no-no. I just think its particularly easy to overfeed these fish (especially if they are in a small tank with no other inhabitants).

I've read that they *like* (but don't require) a pH on the low side and they are very sensitive to salt. They also like some cover from high lighting...but in a planted tank, that shouldn't be an issue.

^iMp^
^iMp^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:49 PM   #7
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ten harlequins in a 10G is a bit much, especially if you're thinking of combining them with other fish. Seven or 8 might be better.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, 10 is too many...they get a bit larger than other small, schooling fish. I thought you were going with 6 total, not 6 more.

Six are doing nicely in my mother's 10g, but I wouldn't put any more than that. There are also 2 otos in the same tank. Its a nice mix.

^iMp^
Old 01-24-2004, 04:45 AM   #9
Ken
Algae Grower

Thanks everybody. I do have 10 total now, but they are still small, the biggest is a little more than a 1/2 inch. I plan to get a 20 or a 29 set up in the near future (2-3 weeks), so I hope they don't grow up too quickly.

Also, what temp range do you keep your tanks at with the Harlequins?
Old 01-24-2004, 05:08 AM   #10
Nordic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now there is another fish which seems to be getting more expensive every time I look..

25 Gal. 54watt, DIY CO2 5 Angelfish, 1 male dwarf gourami + 2 females ,2 female betas, 3 albino corys, 2 pepper corys, 2 CAEs
15 gal. Dwarf gourami fry tank
10 Gal 3 variatus platies, 4 black sailfin mollies- 5 Gal guppy birth tank with dividers
5 Gal guppy frytank
1 Gal guppy frytank
40 Gal Pond with 10 female guppies, 1 male tons of fry.

On various pieces of furniture, 6 cats!
Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:22 PM   #11
^iMp^
Planted Tank Obsessed

Small tanks are tricky. Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels...you just more than doubled the tank stocking level. Should be alright as long as the cycle is already well established and there is a decent amount of fast-growing plants.

Any other fish in the tank besides the 10 harlequins? If not, they should be fine for a few weeks. Its hard to tell without some more detailed tank stats.

^iMp^
Old 01-25-2004, 07:53 AM   #12
illego69
Algae Grower

I think Rasboras are beautiful schooling fish. I would recommend them for any one, especially with a plant tank.
illego69 is offline   Reply With Quote